DVDVR Message Board

Life Events Thread

Ryan

Yeah, I've read  the exit polls but there were a lot of people looking forward to having a first woman president, obviously not enough. I was pretty shocked at the number of women who voted for trump, same with Hispanic men.

I have no idea how he got nearly 30% of the Hispanic vote.  I texting my Ecuadorian best friend and he was teasing me about Trump winning my home state of Ohio.  He is the son of immigrants who is married to an immigrant and he works in an industry that is basically 75% immigrant.  I knew not to even bring up that 30% of Hispanics voted for a man who called them rapists and criminals.  It just would have felt like a kick to the nuts.

8 minutes ago, nofuture said:

The fallacy of the "Hispanic vote" is that it's not a single voting block, but in reality it's a collection of different nationalities, many who don't like each and have their own self interests. 

Yeah, there's been an influx of Puerto Rican immigrants to Florida because of their economy recently. They didn't necessarily vote Clinton. 

5 minutes ago, nofuture said:

The fallacy of the "Hispanic vote" is that it's not a single voting block, but in reality it's a collection of different nationalities, many who don't like each and have their own self interests. 

The fallacy of almost every voting block is that they are a collection of different nationalities, many of whom don't like each other and have their own self interests.

I fully understand that Ecuadorians, Mexicans, Cubans, and Puerto Ricans(The second two groups are different, because they can't be deported) are all distinctly different people, with distinctly different cultures, and distinctly different interests.  One candidate insinuated that all of those people were the same, they were criminals, and wanted to kick them out of the country.  That is why I don't understand why 30% of them voted for Trump.  As a black person, I don't know how Trump got 8% of the vote, and he only insinuates that all of us are criminals, he flat out said it about Hispanics.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Well he only insinuated that all Mexicans are criminals.  And trust me, I know how racist Latinos can be towards other Latinos (being first generation Colombian myself).

I'm not even trying to be funny, but how many people can look at a Colombian and know he or she isn't from Mexico, Bolivia, Uruguay, Argentina, or Puerto Rico?  I understand that they are not the same, but I'd imagine Trump isn't very discerning when it comes to the ethnic and national divides of Central and South America.  If he can't be bothered to discern the fact that most immigrants aren't criminals, why would he be interested in trying to figure out where those "criminals" come from?  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Robert s said:

Are there any numbers of how many first and second generation Cuban immigrants voted for Trump and how many for Clinton? I'm sure this group was not very keen on voting for the party that made "peace" with the Castros.

The Hispanic vote for Florida, where Cubans are most plentiful — 67-31 for Clinton.  Every other state had at least an 80-20 split.

• Like 1

As a gay black man, I'm just sad and disappointed.

It's like you already have a feeling that a large segment of the population doesn't give a fuck about you. But to actually get that message delivered to you so clearly is so messed up lol  Man, these next four years are going to be something....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jamal said:

As a gay black man, I'm just sad and disappointed.

It's like you already have a feeling that a large segment of the population doesn't give a fuck about you. But to actually get that message delivered to you so clearly is so messed up lol  Man, these next four years are going to be something....

Ding Ding Ding.  The thing that bothers me isn't that Trump won, it is how he won.  It is clear that being anti-minority is the #1 contributing factor for a lot of the country.  I can't name a single policy reason to vote for Trump, I don't think he's ever stated one.  He has talked about deporting "illegals," banning Muslims, and cracking down on crime(which means, get these black people under control).  No one cares that his wife came to the United States illegally.  No one cares that the overwhelmingly majority of the largest religion of the world are peaceful people who are more affected by radical Islam than any American will ever be.  No one cares that crime has gone down every single year since about 1993.  His entire campaign was about pitting white people against minorities, and it worked better than anyone thought it would.  I've been working at my job since 2007, and this is about the most diverse working environment possible.  Honestly, I don't know if there is a predominant ethnic group in my office, I'd have to get up to count to figure it out.  I've never heard it this quiet in here, it feels like there is a dark cloud over everything.  I work in Northern Virginia, which is a place where everybody kind of gets along, and no one seems to know what to say to anyone.  It is crazy.

• Like 6

There was also the blanket promises of "I'm going to make you all so rich!" "I'm going to make you so sick of winning!"

That's basic grifter talk and there's a reason it's always worked on the people who can least afford to waste their money on snake oil.

• Like 5

My biggest concern personally is for friends I have in the US that are relying on Obamacare for necessary medical expenses, and also for friends involved in the LGBTQ and alternative sexuality scene. I worry about the safety of both, for different reasons.

You'll forgive me if I can't find two shits to give about coal miners in Ohio.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

America's race fallacies are pretty ridiculous in general, but let's be real there's been no sign whatsoever that anyone on any side is in any hurry to confront the notion that not all people of any ethnic subgroup are actually of a common origin and hivemind.

2 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

My biggest concern personally is for friends I have in the US that are relying on Obamacare for necessary medical expenses, and also for friends involved in the LGBTQ and alternative sexuality scene. I worry about the safety of both, for different reasons.

You'll forgive me if I can't find two shits to give about coal miners in Ohio.

Obamacare is a huge one.  My sister, who works full time at an office too small to offer health insurance, can't afford healthcare without it.  The issue with coal miners is that they need Obamacare as much as anyone.  Do they think that their black lung is going to be covered once they stop working?

2 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

America's race fallacies are pretty ridiculous in general, but let's be real there's been no sign whatsoever that anyone on any side is in any hurry to confront the notion that not all people of any ethnic subgroup are actually of a common origin and hivemind.

I agree with this 100%.  94% of Black women voted for Clinton, almost every other demographic was 80% or less for either candidate.  Even though 94% is a huge majority, I know enough black women to know that there is no such thing as a consensus among them.  The problem is talking about a country with 300+ million people and their various racial demographics.  It is easy to say white people voted for Trump, when only 58% voted for him.  Especially when you take into account that they were the only racial group that more than 50% of votes for Trump.  

28 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Ding Ding Ding.  The thing that bothers me isn't that Trump won, it is how he won.  It is clear that being anti-minority is the #1 contributing factor for a lot of the country.  I can't name a single policy reason to vote for Trump, I don't think he's ever stated one.  He has talked about deporting "illegals," banning Muslims, and cracking down on crime(which means, get these black people under control).  No one cares that his wife came to the United States illegally.  No one cares that the overwhelmingly majority of the largest religion of the world are peaceful people who are more affected by radical Islam than any American will ever be.  No one cares that crime has gone down every single year since about 1993.  His entire campaign was about pitting white people against minorities, and it worked better than anyone thought it would.  I've been working at my job since 2007, and this is about the most diverse working environment possible.  Honestly, I don't know if there is a predominant ethnic group in my office, I'd have to get up to count to figure it out.  I've never heard it this quiet in here, it feels like there is a dark cloud over everything.  I work in Northern Virginia, which is a place where everybody kind of gets along, and no one seems to know what to say to anyone.  It is crazy.

The subtext behind "Make America Great Again" was always "make America white, male, and straight again."  Trump is the end of a clear throughline that started with the Southern Strategy and went all the way through the Tea Party and your neighborhood Gadsden Flag shitheads.  The Republican party is the party for scared white guys who shit their pants when a black guy was elected.  It's funny how their general feeling that the country is going "the wrong way" started exactly when a black dude got into the White House.  The world is increasingly looking less and less like these angry, scared hillbillies, so their place in it feels threatened.    Appeal to their fearfulness and you'll get the votes.  Tell them you'll roll back all those scary changes that made things a little less white and you'll get the votes.  I think we all just underestimated their numbers or maybe their ability to read a ballot.

As a middle aged white guy, I apologize to you all.  Not all of us are garbage human beings but it appears a majority is.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, piranesi said:

50% of eligible voters did not vote.

I don't think even the Weimar Republic could match that level of stupidity.

Can we please, please, pretty please have a re-do on this election?  Maybe instead of campaign commercials just have a general one stating "Hey, you're eligible to vote, right?  Well, vote damnit!"

Commercial aside, I still vote re-do.

Speaking of fallacies, I get that alot of folks don't like her. But does that REALLY justify voting for someone with a sleazebag track record as long as Trump's? I mean I have certain co-workers I don't particularly like, but that doesn't mean I'd white-knight the date rapist in IT at their expense.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Speaking of fallacies, I get that alot of folks don't like her. But does that REALLY justify voting for someone with a sleazebag track record as long as Trump's? I mean I have certain co-workers I don't particularly like, but that doesn't mean I'd white-knight the date rapist in IT at their expense.

The whole "crooked Hillary" message resonated with a lot of people.  While I hate Trump with a passion there was some truth to that.  Wikileaks certainly didn't help her case.  I think the re-opening of the classified email investigation sealed it for many too.  Granted, the FBI director should be heavily punished for that, but it did the job.  It's hard for people to look past that, and when faced with either that or some evil loudmouth they went with the loudmouth.  I think of the 50% that didn't vote a lot might have been Democrats who couldn't bear the thought of voting Hillary.

I'm black, so I'm not surprised in a way. I get that a lot of people don't really like me just because I'm me. I just thought that there were enough non-whites in the south to offset gains made by everyone fleeing the Rust Belt except for older, jobless white Boomers.

Nope. Maybe in 2032.

The most infuriating part of this day is hearing the Bernie Bros claiming that with Clinton out of the way a real progressive will take the reigns and finally usher in a $15 minimum wage, single payer, free yogurt etc. Someone needs to remind these people that's not how leverage works. If she had won with a new Democratic congress, they could make all the demands they want for making it happen. Instead nothing was accomplished and they have no leverage anymore. The party might as well move further to the right of Clinton.