DVDVR Message Board

The Wrestling Book Thread

Actually, he may not have any financial motivation at all for re-releasing the book. I know a guy who's cowritten several wrestling autobiographies, and a lot of times, the coauthors get paid flat rates, with no royalties. So if the Gary Hart guy was already paid for his work, he may not get a dime off of any new editions that are published.

If he just got paid a flat rate then I wouldn't think he'd have any rights either way regarding future printings.

Did Hart write something controversial?  Maybe he's afraid of potential litigation.

Actually, he may not have any financial motivation at all for re-releasing the book. I know a guy who's cowritten several wrestling autobiographies, and a lot of times, the coauthors get paid flat rates, with no royalties. So if the Gary Hart guy was already paid for his work, he may not get a dime off of any new editions that are published.

Then, the publisher should offer him a new deal, either a new flat fee or a percentage of new sales.

So, Gary Hart isn't a fan of Memphis then? Loving the book so far, short sharp and to the point but not in a glossy way like the vast majority of legend books I've read and it doesn't read as overly ghostwritten either (which is always the biggest turn off for me).

Didn't know anything about the plane crash he talks about, that sounded insane

Haven't read it yet, but with endorsements from Bret Hart, Foley, Heyman, Regal and JR sounds like a sure thing to me.    Them aside the reviews make it sound like a great series of books.  I have an Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket, so might as well check these out.

EDIT:  Holy crap, these are cheap.  For the Kindle versions I'm looking at at most $11.  That's a helluva deal.

Anyone here read the Blood Red Turns Dollar Green books?

They are OK. The writing is a bit stiff and reeks of amateurism. That being said, thematically it was right up my alley, so I enjoyed reading them. 

There isn't much in the way of wrestling fiction, so these books kind of stand out.

Then, the publisher should offer him a new deal, either a new flat fee or a percentage of new sales.There's been an offer to buy his share of the copyright. He won't go for that either.

Read Jericho's third book today, (technically finished in about three hours.) Should I feel bad about skipping the Fozzy parts? I'm just not into that kind of music nor tales of him with other musicians and it's getting to be more and more with every book. Also skipped the Dancing With The Stars bit also.

Without knowing his POV, he comes off as a spiteful git or troll.

Unless he made some sort of blood oath with Gary under the light of a silvery midnight moon not to republish for whatever reason, he comes off as really silly.

Read Bruno Lauer's (Harvey Whippleman) book the other day. He ended up coming off as rather crude, crass, and honest, which I liked. He was blatant and unapologetic about his alcoholism, homophobia, and I was rather surprised about the people he really seems to like and dislike as they tend to run opposite of the common opinions in wrestling (Loves Kevin Dunn and John Laurinaitis, hates Paul Heyman and Bruce Pritchard). I honestly had no idea he was in the wreck that killed Joey Marella. He blames him for the accident and then spends most of the chapter putting him down as a loser. At the very end he pretty much admits he's a gopher and is the main reason he's still employed. Not entirely sure what I was expecting, but to be honest I was a little disappointed. There are some fairly strange Sid stories in there, but unfortunately no pictures whatsoever. So if you're looking for tons of road stories from the dying days of the southern territories, him being drunk, and being assaulted by larger wrestlers have at it. Otherwise, give it a pass.

• Like 1

Read Bruno Lauer's (Harvey Whippleman) book the other day. He ended up coming off as rather crude, crass, and honest, which I liked. He was blatant and unapologetic about his alcoholism, homophobia, and I was rather surprised about the people he really seems to like and dislike as they tend to run opposite of the common opinions in wrestling (Loves Kevin Dunn and John Laurinaitis, hates Paul Heyman and Bruce Pritchard). I honestly had no idea he was in the wreck that killed Joey Marella. He blames him for the accident and then spends most of the chapter putting him down as a loser. At the very end he pretty much admits he's a gopher and is the main reason he's still employed. Not entirely sure what I was expecting, but to be honest I was a little disappointed. There are some fairly strange Sid stories in there, but unfortunately no pictures whatsoever. So if you're looking for tons of road stories from the dying days of the southern territories, him being drunk, and being assaulted by larger wrestlers have at it. Otherwise, give it a pass.

That kind of sums up my thoughts except I would've also mentioned him calling Rhyno a pussy for getting WWE-covered neck surgery.