DVDVR Message Board

The Wrestling Book Thread

Finished the last Jericho book yesterday at the library. Though I haven't read Undisputed in a while, this felt much more entertaining. Then again it is a lot of drinking stories and Vince being Vince (and Jericho fighting with him constantly). The Fozzy stuff and even the Dancing with the Stars stuff didn't bother me. I had no idea Jericho fixed his back with DDP Yoga and after my similar travails this year, I might even end up trying it out at some point.

Finished the last Jericho book yesterday at the library. Though I haven't read Undisputed in a while, this felt much more entertaining. Then again it is a lot of drinking stories and Vince being Vince (and Jericho fighting with him constantly). The Fozzy stuff and even the Dancing with the Stars stuff didn't bother me. I had no idea Jericho fixed his back with DDP Yoga and after my similar travails this year, I might even end up trying it out at some point.

I've actually just started DDP Yoga for the same reasons. My back has been killing me lately so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I'm only on day 3 of it but you definitely get a decent workout. The diet is kind of insane IMO but I'm not doing it as I'm not trying to lose weight, just improve my flexibility and get rid of some back pain.

My wife's on DDP Yoga...it's a good weight loss program as well, she's knocked off almost 70lbs in less than a year and is wayyy more flexible. I would like to do it, but my video game time is more important to me than getting rid of my chronic back pain

Y'all are killing me with the DDP Yoga stuff... I misplaced the DVDs and it's killing me. KILLING. ME.

The Holy Ground book is ok if you like lots and lots of results and have no actual access to their website. Other than some memorabilia and quotes, doesn't seem too different from seeing their stuff online.

What hurt worst about the Jericho book was him talking about going on the caveman/Hetfield Diet and him saying he was the same weight I am last time I got on the scale -- and I'm not a professional wrestler by any means. I really do need to get those DVDs and put them to good use next year. The only thing I worry about is my knees being shot (as in it is painful to kneel on carpet, a bed... anything), but I suppose I can do yoga with pads on.

My two favorite Crazy Vince stories in that book were him fining everyone "involved" with Batista blading; including the referee and the agent Malenko who had no idea at all that Batista was going to blade. Vince's explanation, "well you should've known he was going to do it." The other was Vince's assessment of Mickey Rourke's posse. "Me, you, Fit Finlay and Malenko would've taken them all out. Look at that one guy, he's a midget." The "midget" was Frank Shamrock.

What hurt worst about the Jericho book was him talking about going on the caveman/Hetfield Diet and him saying he was the same weight I am last time I got on the scale -- and I'm not a professional wrestler by any means. I really do need to get those DVDs and put them to good use next year. The only thing I worry about is my knees being shot (as in it is painful to kneel on carpet, a bed... anything), but I suppose I can do yoga with pads on.

I'm already in pretty good shape so I figured I could skip some of the beginner stuff. Well, what that's taught me is that I must be the most inflexible human being on the planet. I did pretty well with the fat burner one but the red hot core one kicked my ass but in a good way.

What I posted in the wrong thread yesterday:

I'm reading Eddie Guerrero's book right now. It must have come out right before someone decided that all Wrestling books must have a reading age of 7, because it's full of fucking swearing and drinking stories (although Eddie's drinking stories are full of regret and shame, unlike Jericho who considers his drinking stories to be hilarious and legend-worthy).

He says Kevin Nash is evil. He'd probably be quite upset that Vickie ended up doing the 'Extremely Unattractive Woman' gimmick, because he thought she was gorgeous. He is flabbergasted that they never merchandised LWO or "Eddie Guerrero is my Favourite Wrestler" T-shirts, and says Vince would have been selling Official WWE Hobby Horses by the vanload if Chavo had done the Pepe gimmick there.

And he says CM Punk is a great Wrestler. That's about where I was up to, where he was Wrestling Punk in IWA-MS. I think that match is on youtube now.

I've now finished the book. The bits after he gets out of rehab are very Jesus-y, and then the last few chapters are pretty hard to read because he keeps saying how he'd love to still be working when he's Flair's age, how his role in Wrestling will be different when he's 45 or 55, how he'll always be there for his daughters, even when they're grown adult women, how he wasn't ready to be champion the first time but he knows his second reign will be better... and reading it, you know that none of that stuff ever happened.

Good book though, better than I'd thought it had been.

An interesting new book that will go behind-the-scenes of WWE is set to be released in 2015.

"Nude and Rude: The Naked Endeavors of WWE Superstars" will be hit store shelves in February. The book, written by a former WWE employee under the pseudonym "John Dough", will, according to publishing company ECW Press, "take the audience on a journey into what the WWE superstars do when their clothes are off and nobody is watching".

Upon reading the press release, we contacted the publishing company to get more information. They sent us the following e-mail:

"You need not worry about our "Nude and Rude: The Naked Endeavors of WWE Superstars" book. This will not be an expose on wrestling or wrestlers. The book will not be about the sexual activity of WWE stars, merely the funny moments that happen in and out of the locker room while the wrestlers are undressed.

For example, the writer tells a story in which a wrestler placed a pair of "googly eyes" on his buttocks and then proceeded to shake, much to the amusement of the guys in the locker room. Another story features a wrestler who fell asleep in the shower while other wrestlers showered with him still lying there. Still another talks about a female wrestler who flashed a celebrity guest moments before he was to enter the arena.

These are the kinds of stories you'll find in the upcoming book. The wrestlers will be named, but we feel there is nothing for them to feel ashamed of. The stories are all innocent fun that happen to involve nudity. The intent is not to ruin careers or cause scandals."

Upon our asking, they also confirmed that the author proved to them, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he is is indeed a former WWE employee. For his own protection, they wouldn't reveal his name or even his role within WWE, as the subject matter will undoubtedly make him very unpopular with his peers.

It should be noted that while ECW Press has published a number of wrestling books, the initials in its name are purely coincidental.

...............................k.

• Like 1

Just finished the Thesz book today and I loved every minute.  I haven't read the "Thesz Sez" section yet but it looks good.  I just bought the Hornbaker NWA history book and I was anxious to start that before finishing every inch of the Thesz book.  I'm already kinda confused with some of the title changes that Hornbaker mentions in the first chapter.

Also, I checked out 10th Anniversary of Death Of WCW, just for curiosity sake. If you already have the original version, pass on it. The one thing I was hoping for was some kind of response about the book from it's protagonists (Hogan, Nash, etc.) but I've only ever heard Russo respond to it, and his response was pretty much that he has no hate for the Wrestlecrap crew but has moved on from the issue.

• Like 1

Also, I checked out 10th Anniversary of Death Of WCW, just for curiosity sake. If you already have the original version, pass on it. The one thing I was hoping for was some kind of response about the book from it's protagonists (Hogan, Nash, etc.) but I've only ever heard Russo respond to it, and his response was pretty much that "Bro, I have no hate for the Wrestlecrap crew, bro. But here's where people don't understand- I have moved on from the issue, bro. Does it seem like I've moved on; you tell me, bro?"

Fixed that for you.

• Like 2

Also, I checked out 10th Anniversary of Death Of WCW, just for curiosity sake. If you already have the original version, pass on it. The one thing I was hoping for was some kind of response about the book from it's protagonists (Hogan, Nash, etc.) but I've only ever heard Russo respond to it, and his response was pretty much that he has no hate for the Wrestlecrap crew but has moved on from the issue.

It is just another cash grab by RD. To get money from the few Wrestlecrap fans he hasn't alienated by now. I got a copy and very little is added. And what is seems to mostly be from shoot interviews.

I remember really liking Wrestlecrap back when I was in HS (I'm thinking 02-03). I stopped paying attention once he stopped doing the mailbag as that was my favorite part. What's happened that he's alienated most of the fans?