DVDVR Message Board

The Wrestling Book Thread

I'm wading my way through the book too (And yes, you can all PM me haha) and got to the chapter about the Magic Dragon.

Wow.

Definitely threw a wrench in there for that last sentence that I wasn't expecting when he just so nonchalantly says:

Kabuki wanted to do something nice for Magic Dragon so he gave him a 5-week booking in South Africa as Dragon just got married and thought they could use it as a honeymoon. It was really nice what he did for Dragon to give him a type of honeymoon. The plane they were on went down on the way to South Africa and everyone on board died.

When I was reading it, it was just like "WHAT THE FUCK! HOW DO YOU JUST SPRING THAT ON ME LIKE THAT!?! WHAT THE FUCK!?!" 

With regards to the tone in spots like the "Oh and then Magic Dragon died in a plane crash," keep in mind that the version floating around online isn't the final draft that made it to print. There are a number of big differences between the different versions, like Gary completely omitting his first plane crash from the older draft.

So he was in two plane crashes? Elaborate, please.

First one was a commercial crash early in his career in Chicago. He wasn't seriously injured but there were a few fatalities. Don't have the physical book anymore but it might have been a flight to or from Cedar Rapids? Second crash was the one in Florida that has a chapter devoted to it.

He included references to it both chronologically when it happened and later noting how Jim Cornette felt extra safe when Gary, Ric Flair, and/or David Crockett were on a plane with him because nobody would ever be in two plane crashes...not knowing Gary already had been! Also wrote a little bit about how he never developed a fear of flying.