DVDVR Message Board

The Wrestling Book Thread

The Andre the Giant graphic novel by Box Brown is pretty great. You're unlikely to hear any *new* stories, but the presentation is well done. Such an interesting and, at times, sad life.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a huge fan of Bret Hart and I loved his book, worth the hours I put into it over a weekend reading it. I couldn't put it down at parts. It has it's flaws for sure, namely ego, but all in all, definitely worth it.

I love Bret's book its among the best biographies I've ever read and I've gone through it 3 or 4 times but yeah that last chunk is brutal, it's one of the most depressing things I've ever read. The book is absolutely worth reading but if you're prone to getting really sad or depressed you should just maybe cutout after Montreal because everything post-Owen is a really tough road to get through and it will wreck you for the rest of the day.

I kinda wish Bret had waited to write the book until after patching things up with Vince, Shawn, etc.

Could have at least put a bit more of a happy ending on the book.  (Although I think that would also mean another divorce, iirc, so...  yeah)

Yeah the Bret book has been fantastic so far, I cant put it down. He goes into great detail with things, which is the opposite of how Flair's book was. I found Flair's book to be kind of impersonal and glossed over a lot of things. It certainly didn't feel written in his voice, if that makes any sense.

Flair has made the joke before that he hasn't gotten around to reading his own book.  Considering the BS he spews these days, it's probably a blessing that he didn't write it, otherwise we'd get chapters on his firsthand account of witnessing Brody's murder.

I've been reading Brody.  I don't really like it.  I didn't need 2 chapters on his wife's childhood.  The Larry Matysik written chapters are terrible.  I was hoping for so much more, but I guess that's what happens when the subject of the book is dead.   

I have this book and I couldn't get through it. Maybe I need to revisit it but it seemed like the book was going to be a complete whitewash and not at all accurate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mick Foley's first book is a bit like that for me - I can easily pick it up off my shelf, read a few chapters and have a giggle.

I'm dubious about most wrestling books as they're usually terribly (ghost) written and poorly edited. Only ones I've enjoyed have been Bret's and Mick's - never had the opportunity to read Dynamite's, Lou Thesz or Gary Hart's :(

Mick Foley's first book is a bit like that for me - I can easily pick it up off my shelf, read a few chapters and have a giggle.

I'm dubious about most wrestling books as they're usually terribly (ghost) written and poorly edited. Only ones I've enjoyed have been Bret's and Mick's - never had the opportunity to read Dynamite's, Lou Thesz or Gary Hart's :(

I was fortunate enough to get Gary Hart's book right from the website. (I say 'fortunate' because apparently it's out of print and they sell for quite high prices on eBay.) It's really good. It was the first pro-wrestling book I ever read, so perhaps that plays into it as well, but it was highly entertaining, engrossing and educative. None of the other books I've read afterwards were as good by far, and they were still very good (Lou Thesz, Jody Hamilton and J.J. Dillon). Hart goes into details about angles, creating certain gimmicks, pay-offs, rivaling promitions, the entire Van Erich family... You can open it on any page and it remains as great as the first time.

• Like 1