DVDVR Message Board

The Wrestling Book Thread

• 1 month later...

Just got Corny's "Rags, Paper and Pins" book and it takes the cake. Almost 350 pages of Memphis merchandise, photos, programs, song lyrics, even Lawler's insult book. Tremendous stuff.

How is Drawing Heat by Jim Freedman?  Is it worth a read/purchase?

Yes its a good book. I know Meltzer thinks it's ovely academic which is weird since I think it's one of the most accesible for non-fans wrestling books I've read. Dave Mckigny driving around Canada running outlaw shows with his wrestling bear (the son of the wrestling bear that killed his wife) would make for an amazing picaresque movie.

http://www.wildmanmckigney.com/

I loved Drawing Heat. Definitely in my top 5.

Blackjack Mulligans books is pretty bad in my opinion. I'd stay away from that.

George Steele's book is awful. Stay away!

Luger's book is quite bad as well.

Mark Lewin's book is right there with Chyna's book as the worst. What a pile of shit this book was. It could have been great, but its a steaming turd.

James Beard's book became one of my top 3 books ever. I loved his stories on the Von Erich's and World Class. The book is worth every penny. He does cover his WWE tryout in the last chapter of the book. He didn't get into his Memphis days, but he is making another book at some point. This is is mostly about his World Class days. Just a great book. If you don't like World Class or have no interest in it, pass this one by. But you will be missing out!

My top 10

Gary Hart

JJ Dillon

James Beard

Drawing Heat (Jim Freedman)

Midnight Express Scrapbook by Cornette

Pain and Passion by Heath McCoy

Mick Foleys first

Pure Dynamite

Chokehold by Jim Wilson

Stan Hanson

Debated Hanson's book vs Bruiser Brody by Emerson Murry. Both are excellent!

Actually saw Jim Wilson's book on sale for $20 at Wrestlefest last year but didn't bite on it for whatever reason. 

You did good with passing it by. Although he did make some valid points about how the industry operated, he did make some rather outlandish claims as far as how popular he was and how much of a push he was supposedly going to get...he comes off as a whiner who only blew the whistle on the business cause he didn't get what he wanted.

I'm currently reading Tim Hornbaker's NWA book, and it's a fascinating read, really nice to learn more about people like Strangler Lewis or Toots Mondt, people where I've heard the name but know nothing about them. It's written more as a history book than a traditional wrestling book, so it's a bit dry in places, but really engrossing.

As an aside, I bought Bobby Blaze's autobiography, as it was £3 on the Kindle. Has anyone read it and is it any good?

I read the Bobby Blaze book...he breezes through everything so quickly, like he'll go through a year in 5 pages. Something about the guy ended up annoying me by the end of the book, I can't put my finger on it though. But for a low price it was a good enough time waster, just nothing great

• Like 1

Chris Jericho recently revealed that his next book will be released on October 13, 2014. It will be the third part of his autobiographical series. Jericho also announced on Twitter that he will be revealing the cover and title of the book this week. Follow him online at Twitter.com/IAmJericho.

Credit: prowrestling.net

• 1 month later...

Thought this would be interesting to some of you

http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Sports-Ancient-World-Competition/dp/0300063121

ec2333b2_Combat2BSports2Bcover.jpeg

A leading authority on classical games here provides a comprehensive study of the practice of combat sports in the ancient civilizations of Greece, Rome, and the Near East. Describing and analyzing the sports of boxing, wrestling, stick-fighting, and pankration, Michael B. Poliakoff discusses such topics as the function of competition and violent games in ancient society; on the social background of the participants, showing the broad spectrum of Greek athletic personnel; on the significance of the appearance of combat sport in myth and literature; and on the alleged cultic functions of the ancient combat sports. The book is copiously illustrated with photographs of numerous objects rarely or never before published.