DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

If that guys is to be believed, then tonight's RAW will be pretty eventful.

But when was the last time a UK RAW carried any sort of importance? Serious question, I usually skip the taped RAWs.

Just read ongoing results.  On the one hand I wish I didn't, on the other hand this is going to be some interesting TV.  Either way, the Raw thread's going to be a minimum 20 pages, I can sense it.

EDIT:  Well, so much for that theory, didn't see all the spoilers and was expecting something big at the end.  Oh, well.

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

What am I missing? I don't see anything particularly surprising.

Spoiler

Same.  Unless there's something noteworthy that hasn't been posted on Meltzer's site yet, the most noteworthy things i see are AJ hugging Gallows and Anderson, and Cesaro reciting lines from "They Live"

Doing the Bullet Club hug-a-thon this early makes me think they're going to turn on Styles and join up with either Reigns or Balor.

I'm most likely in the minority, as well as jumping the gun. But is there some sort of Renaissance going on here? Commentary (outside of JBL) is better, matches are better, proper (mostly) people are getting some time to shine with adequate time, tag division is solid and NXT is brimming with talent.

Are we on the cusp of a very noteworthy period of WWE?

If you disagree, no worries. But, I feel like something special is brewing here. Thoughts? 

*dunno why the font-size is different

When business is up, Vince pushes talkers and tries to get movie stars on his show. When business is down, and the only people watching are Wrestling fans, Vince figures he might as well give them some good Wrestling. He knows you can afford to alienate your base when you're drawing far beyond it, but you need to keep them onside when they're all you have.

Down periods (in the WWF/E) have always produced better shows than Up periods. The Hogan Era featured terrible wrestling. The Attitude Era featured terrible Wrestling. The lull between them featured loads of top to bottom great shows.

I'd like to be cautiously optimistic based on what we've seen the past couple weeks, but there have been too many other brief periods where it looked like good wrestling, fresh faces, and an absence of the usually dull bullshit would be be the norm only for the status quo to eventually return or said awful booking coming back to the forefront.  Seeing the (mostly) positive turn the women's division has been taking and how on fire NXT has been, there's an outside chance that the main roster is going to improve but it's way too early to tell.  Things seem to be going in a positive direction now, but I'll wait and see how everything plays out or if we get Cena and Orton main eventing for the world title come Summerslam.

• Like 1