DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I was chronologically watching the Summer of Punk this weekend based on what I could cobble together from YouTube/Daily Motion/WWE Network and holy shit, it's really so unbelievable that literally less than TWO MONTHS after the Pipebomb promo, he was embroiled in Kliq melodrama and on RAW trading barbs with fucking Kevin Nash.

I mean, obviously, I remember all this happening, but in my mind it felt like there was like half a year between these two things happening. But TWO MONTHS?! Jeeeeesus.

• Like 1

Boy, that was some good synth the Blade Runners had. The keyboards weren't bad either.

And yeah, The Summer of Punk will be probably one of the biggest misfires they've had in recent memory. Punk could of been doing a "real WWE champion" deal on the indies or something. Rey win's the title in a feel good moment and instead they go for status quo and have Cena steal it from him right then and there. That was some Hogan Wrestlemania 9 bullshit.

3 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

So "funny" to think that the "Summer of Punk" angle that began with the pipebomb promo ended with a sledgehammer match between Kevin Nash and HHH while Punk battled Alberto del Rio for the title

What a feud that was too with Punk doing promos about Del Rio being boring. Brilliant stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie M. said:

What a feud that was too with Punk doing promos about Del Rio being boring. Brilliant stuff.

Punk wasn't exactly wrong there, but yes WWE's version of the summer of Punk was far inferior to the original in ROH. 

The Punk thing is another glaring example of the WWE cutting off there nose to spite their face. There is no downside to pushing Punk a the true #1 guy. Cena isn't hurt, HHH isn't hurt, nobody is hurt. And as the same with all the DB shit, spoiler alert to the E: YOU KEEP ALL THE MONEY NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS. 

I'm not sure if the worst thing about that Extreme Rules logo is if it's a blatant ripoff of the classic Pancrase logo, the crooked R, or the fact that the NW quadrant of the X is mostly empty save for the small WWE logo.

pancrase.jpg

21 hours ago, The Z said:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Payback has the best looking PPV card in a while.

I think every match announced so far has a chance to be decent to good.

We're in agreement. With Styles against Reigns, it should be a standout singles match for Reigns, the only two of his I remember vs. Daniel Bryan at FastLane 2014 and Brock Lesnar before it turned into a triple threat at WrestleMania XXXI. I figure that's why its happening and the location, Chicago.

I also want to see Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn, the NXT TakeOver matches last year were great, two underrated matches.

8 hours ago, Zheroen said:

I'm not sure if the worst thing about that Extreme Rules logo is if it's a blatant ripoff of the classic Pancrase logo, the crooked R, or the fact that the NW quadrant of the X is mostly empty save for the small WWE logo.

pancrase.jpg

I'd argue that the Extreme Rules logo being a blatant ripoff is the best thing rather than worst. Pancrase, the 2nd most fun non-UFC promotion on UFC Fight Pass!

19 hours ago, Fallacy! said:

I was chronologically watching the Summer of Punk this weekend based on what I could cobble together from YouTube/Daily Motion/WWE Network and holy shit, it's really so unbelievable that literally less than TWO MONTHS after the Pipebomb promo, he was embroiled in Kliq melodrama and on RAW trading barbs with fucking Kevin Nash.

I mean, obviously, I remember all this happening, but in my mind it felt like there was like half a year between these two things happening. But TWO MONTHS?! Jeeeeesus.

The problem was that the thing unexpectedly caught fire (Punk really was going to leave and MITB was really going to be his swan song) but Vince was deadset on putting the title on Del Rio at SummerSlam because he thought the LA crowd would make him and he would finally have another Latino star.  The tournament final should have been at SummerSlam with Punk making his return then after a month off or so.  Hell, Del Rio could have cashed in, become champ, and THEN Punk comes out to remind us who the real champ is which builds to Survivor Series where Punk wins both belts and we get to skip the HHH/Nash bullshit entirely.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It's not like this is the first year they used that logo

The humping bugs are still new, right?

i think that commercial is still PG, though .  I'd probably have to be about 13 years old to find bumping bugs clever or exciting.

I know I'm gonna be 100% In the minority on this, but I kinda liked Kevin Nash's involvement (until the goofy texting stuff, and him not getting cleared in time). He, like HHH, had that rep of "holding guys down" and then you've got all the vanilla midget/waffle house cook stuff,  plus the real life friendship of Nash and HHH. I think it could have worked. At least it was something no one saw coming. I mean, my mom was so surprised that she called me to tell me Nash was back "and he's coming out to Hollywood's music"

• Like 1

The funny thing is it did lead to a pretty damn good Triple H/Kevin Nash TLC match (ok sledgehammer stip was stupid), but Big Kev put his working shoes on that night. I think had the storyline been competent and Vince not gotten cold feet to run with with things, the Punk angle could have been so huge. But he was so determined to keep the status quo with Cena. Punk/Nash would have been an odd match on paper, but it would have worked if the story made any sense.

But as we saw it made no sense because week to week they weren't throwing holes into it.

• Like 3

Adam Rose wrote today that he did nothing wrong, that he took something giving to him by his doctor and that they followed all the usual protocol. Said his doctor "was shocked"

He isn't mad at the WWE but at those who administer the Wellness test for the WWE