DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Always feel bad when one member of a tag team gets hit with something like this or an injury. It's not like Viktor has much upside on his own as a singles guy. What's he going to do now for the next two months while his idiot partner serves his suspension?

On 4/14/2016 at 5:31 PM, PetrolCB said:

Don't ask why, but for some reason this made me want to see a Vince cover of the Roxette song, done "Stand Back" style. 

Now I want Vince to cover "U Got the Look" by Prince, but who should be his Sheena Easton?

• Like 2

When was the last time anyone of significance failed a test?  Orton?  Rey?

Meltzer's hinted in the past that, if the company doesn't want you to fail a test, you aren't going to fail a test.  I tend to think that has a lot to do with the lack of positive tests reported (and the last few guys that have served a suspension have been low on the card).

Actually, I remember Meltzer saying at the time that Rey and Orton's last suspensions had more to do with contract issues and attitude problems that the test results.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 9:47 AM, Technico Support said:

I think there's more to it than that.  Sting was an above average wrestler who was great against great opponents (Flair and Vader stand out) and just kind of there against guys not at that level.  He drew horribly as world champ, so much so that they had to take the belt off him early.  Is that all his fault?  No, the booking was shit, too.  Arguably, he was a big part of WCW's boom period but I'd say the NWO was the real draw.  Really, it comes down to asking why Sting should be in and I have no answer for that.  A lot of people just argue that it's a "Hall of fame" and that, well,  he is a really famous wrestler so he should be in. 

I don't think the nWo works nearly as well without Sting on the other side.  Lex Luger?  Giant? DDP? I don't think so.. it needed to be Sting, someone who was cool enough and WCW enough to offset the cool heels.

32 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't think the nWo works nearly as well without Sting on the other side.  Lex Luger?  Giant? DDP? I don't think so.. it needed to be Sting, someone who was cool enough and WCW enough to offset the cool heels.

Luger got a massive reaction for beating Hogan and was consistently insanely over before they pushed him to the side for Sting. The same goes for The Giant. He was so over even after the stupid turns. DDP had the cool finisher. The Horsemen got great reactions when they went against the nWo.

I don't think Hall and Nash being cool heels was that much of a problem because Hogan remained a piece of trash who everyone wanted to see taken down. I think WCW would have been better off if they had a group of babyfaces who would triumph over the nWo at different points during the angle instead of trying to save it all for Sting at Starrcade.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Job to people?

But is it even worth trotting him out for that? Why is "Viktor from Ascension" having a singles match? May be fun to do some thrown together tag match with another job guy like they used to do with Tiger Chung Li or SD Jones in the 80s. Viktor and Damien Sandow team up to job to The Vaudvillians one week. Then the next week it's Viktor and Darren Young against The Usos.

3 hours ago, Charlie M. said:

Luger got a massive reaction for beating Hogan and was consistently insanely over before they pushed him to the side for Sting. The same goes for The Giant. He was so over even after the stupid turns. DDP had the cool finisher. The Horsemen got great reactions when they went against the nWo.

I don't think Hall and Nash being cool heels was that much of a problem because Hogan remained a piece of trash who everyone wanted to see taken down. I think WCW would have been better off if they had a group of babyfaces who would triumph over the nWo at different points during the angle instead of trying to save it all for Sting at Starrcade.

It felt like that was the route the were going up until Road Wild 97. Looking back at 1997, WCW guys did several major victories against the nWo. DDP got the first win in his series with Randy Savage at Spring Stampede, Flair, Piper, and Kevin Greene defeated Nash, Hall, and Syxx, Luger got to rack Hogan for the win on another Nitro and at Bash At The Beach before defeating Hogan for the title in August.  Once they got to Road Wild, it felt as if they were saving everything for Sting with The Outsiders not losing the tag titles to the Steiner Brothers, Hogan regaining the title. At the last Clash Of The Champions, Nash comes out with the nWo and changes the Hall/Savage vs DDP/Luger main event to a tag title match so that leads to another nWo victory when ending the final Clash with the babyfaces going over even in a non title match would have made sense (btw Was it known at the time that the August Clash Of The Champions was supposed to be the last?).  Of course there's the Wargames that the Horsemen should have won. By the time the Steiner Brothers won the tag team titles it was against Hall and Syxx so the big win against Nash and Hall after chasing the titles all year isn't as big of a deal as it would of been if they won the match at Road Wild. Then at Starrcade, Luger loses to Bagwell and Giant never gets his victory against Kevin Nash.  It really feels like Road Wild was the starting point of the nWo going over more in matches that would have made sense for them to lose.

11 hours ago, nofuture said:

Hornswoggle got popped last year and hasn't been seen since.

I saw Hornswoggle getting a coffee in downtown Oshkosh a few weeks ago with his kid. He's running a wrestling school somewhere here in the Fox Valley. I have a feeling we've seen the last of him.