DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Y2AJPowers Exploding 3-7-16

MGFanJay

The Jericho turn came off great, and got some nice heat. I'm kind of looking forward to the match even if it's the 4th one just to see it with Jericho working heel instead of washed up high flyer. I really like the way Sasha set up the back stabber. I have to be honest while I love Becky this women's title match should be Charlotte vs Sasha one on one. I think it would come off as a bigger deal that way.

It would be so backwards if they do a multi man for the IC and a Ryback/Kalisto singles match. They have a shot for a really strong undercard with Zayn/Owens, Jericho/Styles. and the women's title match if they can find some fun stuff to do for the tag and US titles. I really couldn't give a shit less about the HIAC match and HHH/Roman.

I see Ryback/Kalisto and the big women's tag match as buffer matches they can cut time from if needed.

Zayn/Owens in a singles match would probably get like 8 minutes.

Anyone else want to see AJ tell Jericho to piss up a rope? "Sorry, but I already won our feud... that's why we were teaming, remember? Go back to your rock band- you suck at that too, but at least you seem happier doing it."

If there are some actual stakes to this match, like say, Jericho's career, then bully. 

Otherwise, yeah, this feud needs a swift death.

AJ/Jericho is the best built WM program outside of Trips vs Dean.

I didn't love the idea of pairing AJ/Jericho at first, but I really do love the story they are telling.  Jericho can't keep up, knows it, tries to hide it and it's eating him up inside.  I must give Jericho props because he knows how to work that story in-ring as well as outside of it.  He's been working that catch himself-cool top rope set up-super lame jumping chop bit into his matches and it's sort of amazing.  It's just a great contrast with the flashy shit AJ is pulling out all the time.

A simple under the surface story, that takes place on the mic AND in the ring, has way more depth than anything else they put together for Mania.  

It helps that AJ has been the best in-ring guy on the roster by a pretty wide margin since his debut.  

So what do we have for a possible Mania Card this year for matches that will have the "epic" feel and long match times? I couldn't see Reigns/HHH going for more than 20 minutes without it dying a slow death, but it is HHH and he loves his long matches. I also couldn't see Shane/Taker going 30-40 minutes, either. That has "sports entertainment" run-in schmozz written all over it and should be kept relatively short, but with entrances and the Cell, I guess it could stretch to close to 30. Ambrose/Brock being more than 20 minutes? How long could we stand "Ambrose just WON'T stay down, Maggle!!"? However, if they combine the matches in to a Fatal Fourway with HHH/Reigns/Ambrose/Brock, that could be stretched from two 20 minute matches to one long 45 minute match. Any multi-man ladder match could go for a somewhat longish time due to just the sheer amount of guys in them and everybody getting their spots in. Divas will probably get 10-15 minutes. Battle Royal, maybe 10? Are we also getting Kalisto/Ryback and Brie/Lana matches? Can't see those holding a crowd's attention for more than 8-10 minutes. Just seems like they're going to be stretching for time with the matches they have lined up and their depleted roster.

The Andre Battle Royal went 18 minutes last year which for a 30 man Battle Royal is probably the right amount of time (15 at a minimum). 

And they will fill time with the HOF inductees, concert and whatever random talking segment they do (think Rock/Rousey from last year and the Austin/Rock/Hogan segment from the year before)

Including entrances and post match

Main event goes 40

Shane-Taker goes 40

Brock-Ambrose goes 25

Battle Royal goes 20

I-C match goes 20

AJ Jericho goes 20

Charlotte-Sasha goes 15

Something with the Rock or Austin or HBK goes 30

That leaves an extra half hour for two-three other matches, backstage vignettes, and HOF mentions.

Some of you guys forget the ring entrances for these shows eat up a LOT of time.  We're more likely to see HHH-Reigns get cut for time rather than having to fill it.

Oh, I know they'll fill the time with.....things. It just seems like none of the matches they have lines up are the things that will be filling up as much time as in the past. None of the laid out matches have that truly special event feel to them that would make sense for them to have 45 minutes or so. We know Rock, Austin, and Foley will be there. The HoF will take up 15 minutes. I hope there's no "concert" again, but that seems to have become a staple in the past few years, which I hate. I just look at old Manias that had 12-13 matches and the time flew by in 3 hours, but now they seem to have trouble fitting 8 matches in 4 hours. Thought that with this year's matches possibly not being as long that they might be able to squeeze a few more on there, but the roster is so thin now that I don't know what they'd do. Where's our Earthquake/Valentine or Haku/Hercules match, dammit?!

Michaels will be there too (per Meltzer)

In fact - Dave says he has heard three different ideas for how Michaels is going to be involved (and none of them are around the HIAC match)

Anyone else want to see AJ tell Jericho to piss up a rope? "Sorry, but I already won our feud... that's why we were teaming, remember? Go back to your rock band- you suck at that too, but at least you seem happier doing it."

Yes, in those exact words.

• Like 1

So wrestling Twitter tells me that Dave also said that it is New Day vs. League of Nation at Mania and they are doing it "for a specific reason"

Now I am terrified as to what that is going to be

FUCK! Just turn the Wyatt's face already. It's like they're stuck in perpetual heel hell like Kofi was stuck as a face for way too long. Make the turn already.

Kevin Sullivan was a face with Cactus Jack while still essentially still being the same crazy monster he always was. Get rid of Rowan and Ogre Jr and just let Bray and Luke Harper tear people apart to the delight of fans. People will love it.

The tag title match was very good. Lots of nice nearfalls, and the finishing run was strong. The turn was logical and executed fine, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't want to see more Jeicho/Styles matches.

Even with the women already doing a triple threat, I wouldn't mind Owens/Zayn/Neville for the IC.

• Like 1

So wrestling Twitter tells me that Dave also said that it is New Day vs. League of Nation at Mania and they are doing it "for a specific reason"

Now I am terrified as to what that is going to be

It's a RU day, yes it is!

Rutgers Day? You're a little early, that's April 30th.

• Like 1