DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble 2016.

The Natural

I thought we could do with a thread to talk before and after the 2016 Royal Rumble. If you wish talk about past Royal Rumble events also!

For me the Royal Rumble is the second biggest PPV on the WWE calendar for the once a year Royal Rumble match and how the Royal Rumble PPV starts the most exciting period in the WWE, the Road to WrestleMania. The Royal Rumble match is possibly my favourite gimmick match.

The 1992 Royal Rumble match was for the vacated WWF Championship and the 2016 Royal Rumble match will be for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship held by Roman Reigns who will start the match as #1. Brock Lesnar’s in the match, I’m hoping to see him go up against wrestlers you probably won’t see him go up against in singles. Shame Cesaro’s hurt. Surprise entrants are a feature of the match, the most memorable was John Cena as #30 winning the 2008 Royal Rumble match. Will we get The Undertaker, Daniel Bryan, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles?

My expectations for Royal Rumble matches have lowered in recent years. I'll explain why...The past two Royal Rumble matches were piss the fans off matches. In 2014 people thought Daniel Bryan would be the #30 entrant in the Royal Rumble match but when Rey Mysterio came out, poor Rey was loudly booed and Batista won to jeers. In 2015 Daniel Bryan was eliminated early and the fans didn’t like it, they also booed the winner, Roman Reigns even with The Rock’s appearance. The year before Roman was cheered. When was the last great Royal Rumble match? Unless I’m blanking on one, I’d go as far back to the 2008 Royal Rumble match.

Have at it : )

This is who WWE.com has for officially being in the Rumble right now (after RAW)

-        WWE World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns, No. 1 entrant

-        Brock Lesnar

-        Sheamus

-        Chris Jericho

-        Stardust

-        Bray Wyatt

-        Erick Rowan

-        Luke Harper

-        Braun Strowman

-        Dolph Ziggler

-        Ryback

-        Big Show

-        Curtis Axel

They definitely seemed to imply all of the League of Nations was in the Rumble but they only list Sheamus so who knows.

Over under on how long Reigns lies around motionless in a corner of the ring? +/- 30 min.?

Honestly, I'm with Bray. Anyone but Roman and I'll be happy. I think best case scenario is Ambrose eliminating Reigns, but not sure who I want to win it. Because last thing I want is "underdog" Reigns going into Wrestlemania.

Actually, let Bray win, do Taker v. Bray, title vs career, and let Bray win. They might burn Jerry World down.

24 years ago today .........

Cheers. Ric Flair's great performance and that by Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan on commentary I still remember Bobby's quotes from the match: "This isn't fair to Flair", "Hey stupid, get me a drink", "I have to apologise, I won't be my normally objective self", thanking Roddy for saving Flair only to attack Flair "It's not a kilt, it's a skirt", "Weasel yourself out" "If Flair wins I'll never be bad again" and "Yes! Yes! Yes!". Ending shows Hulk Hogan up as an asshole moaning despite getting eliminated fairly. It's the most well loved Royal Rumble by fans.

I think Roman Reigns winning is a foregone conclusion. The only question is how many records will he break?

Will he break his own record for most eliminations? Will he break Rey Mysterio's record for longest time in the rumble match? etc.

What stunt do you think Kofi will do this year?

Have they done it yet so that Big E is just about to come in as Kofi is being eliminated? Big E could catch him as he's being thrown out and throw him right back in.

I just realized the Rumble is this Sunday.  That threw me because it's usually held in the bye week between the NFL conference championship games and the Super Bowl.  Any idea why they changed it this year?

Are they thinking maybe it will be best if everyone watches it on the Network Monday night so they can hear the edited crowd noise?

I think Roman Reigns winning is a foregone conclusion. The only question is how many records will he break?

Will he break his own record for most eliminations? Will he break Rey Mysterio's record for longest time in the rumble match? etc.

Pretty sure I saw they announced 1 minute intervals already, meaning Rey's record isn't getting broken.

Wish they hadn't already guaranteed the tired "person who draws #1 will make it through to the end of the match" deal.

24 years ago today .........

Cheers. Ric Flair's great performance and that by Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan on commentary I still remember Bobby's quotes from the match: "This isn't fair to Flair", "Hey stupid, get me a drink", "I have to apologise, I won't be my normally objective self", thanking Roddy for saving Flair only to attack Flair "It's not a kilt, it's a skirt", "Weasel yourself out" "If Flair wins I'll never be bad again" and "Yes! Yes! Yes!". Ending shows Hulk Hogan up as an asshole moaning despite getting eliminated fairly. It's the most well loved Royal Rumble by fans.

"Ric Flair, you have made World Wrestling Federation PUT THAT CIGARETTE OUT!"

• Like 2

I just realized the Rumble is this Sunday.  That threw me because it's usually held in the bye week between the NFL conference championship games and the Super Bowl.  Any idea why they changed it this year?

Are they thinking maybe it will be best if everyone watches it on the Network Monday night so they can hear the edited crowd noise?

Silly.  Haven't you been watching RAW?  There isn't going to be any crowd noise.

• Like 1

Thoughts on the surprise entrants this year? I know AJ is considered the lock for a surprise entrant, and I have a feeling Sami Zayn is also getting his call up to the main roster via a Rumble entry this year.

But I was just talking with a friend about this and can't think of who the "Legend" entrant will be this year, if they have one. The returning Legend spot seems to have become a staple in the Rumble over the past decade or so, but I can't think of any who haven't already appeared within the last few or been done to death already. Hacksaw has made a few surprise appearances over the years, so I don't think he'll be in it this year. Maybe somebody like Vader, to put him back out there before they announce him for the HoF later this year? A road agent or NXT trainer like perhaps IRS or Road Dogg? Or maybe somebody like Sid or Scott Hall? Or somebody nobody wants to see like RVD?

What do you think are the legitimate options for the "Legend Entrant(s)" this year?

Who is going to be insane enough to take a release German Suplex over the top rope from Brock Lesnar? My money is on Dolph.

I don't even know what I want out of this Royal Rumble. The current state of the main roster has beaten me down into not caring about anything. I doubt Owens wins the IC title and I doubt he even enters the Royal Rumble.

I guess if there was anything I wanted, it would be a surprise winner. Someone that wasn't Roman, Brock, Sheamus, etc. Maybe Kofi? Man, that's weird to type out. Obviously Owens is another guy I want to win, but I doubt that ever happens. So if it was going to be a big surprise winner, I guess yeah, Kofi is who I'd go with that could realistically walk into WM as champ. Kofi/New Day vs Roman in the main event? I mean, New Day is one of the most, if not the most over act in WWE. You could get a ton of mileage out of them on the way to WM.

But then what do you do about HHH or Brock or Undertaker...If HHH really wants to wrestle at WM, I could see him taking on a face Kevin Owens since he's pretty high on him and Owens looks like the perfect dance partner for HHH. It would be a little more indyrific than the match with Daniel Bryan, but I think that's what HHH is into lately.

But then what do you do about HHH or Brock or Undertaker...If HHH really wants to wrestle at WM, I could see him taking on a face Kevin Owens since he's pretty high on him and Owens looks like the perfect dance partner for HHH. It would be a little more indyrific than the match with Daniel Bryan, but I think that's what HHH is into lately.

Sure as Triple H will wrestle at WrestleMania 32, only time he didn't was WrestleMania 22 as he was recovering from his second quad tear.

With hindsight I wonder if WWE wish they saved the trilogy decider between The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar for WrestleMania 32 as we originally thought it was going to be. I had a feeling, well more hoping than anything The Undertaker vs. John Cena was going to happen at this year's WrestleMania as I've wanted to see that match for ages.

Pretty sure I saw they announced 1 minute intervals already, meaning Rey's record isn't getting broken.

WWE.com says 90 seconds but that doesn't mean they won't change it once they time out the show.

Either way - yeah, Rey's record isn't getting broken