DVDVR Message Board

[SPOILERS] NXT Tapings (Airs 2/3/16)

RIPPA

She's certainly capable enough in the ring, but the idea of her going through NXT was to learn the WWE style/character work. I'm not convinced she's spent enough time there.

There's nothing about character that she has to learn.  Whether she goes to the main roster or not (or whether that is even in the plans), her one thing to learn is about wrestling for the cameras.  I would say she's picked that up pretty quick.

I liked Finn/Apollo quite a bit. Both guys did a good job establishing a clear hierarchy and both guys came out looking better as a result. Finn worked on top a lot, as he should being the champ, and Apollo looked good stunning him a few times and fighting back from underneath. The only minor complaint was Finn kicking out of the press slam moonsault combo, but I guess that's pretty minimal finisher spam by modern WWE standards. Otherwise they did a good job avoiding that with not using Apollo's blue thunder, and not doing a pin between the coup de grace and the impaler DDT.

I'm not sure what people see in Carmella. She's not over unless she's leeching off Enzo/Cass and she's really awkward in the ring. I trust Bayley to be able to do a decent carry like she's done with Nia and Eva, but I'm keeping expectations low.

That Asuka/Santana match was really fun. NXT always seems to find good jobbers. I do hope that this week's "Asuka lock" was just a slip up or weird positioning, and she'll resume using the full chickenwing in the future.

The Vaudevillains beating the Hype Bros was weird at this point. It looked like the Vaudevillains were on the way to doing something different, but this match was just them treading water like they have since losing the belts. On the other hand, the Hype Bros would be a perfect filler team for Dash and Dawson to maul before the inevitable showdown with Aα.

She's certainly capable enough in the ring, but the idea of her going through NXT was to learn the WWE style/character work. I'm not convinced she's spent enough time there.

She has the most physical charisma of anyone on the roster. There is not much to her character that we need to get than badass sadistic Japanese lady who likes taunting her opponents and looking good doing it. Shit, Roman's gimmick for a better part of year was staring hard and not smiling for a better part of a year.

Straight from Vinnie Mac's reasons to dislike talent, and I'm sure it's just me (no really) but Emma's kneepads make her look like she has disproportionate sized legs. I know, I know, I'm going to hell, but it's a little thing that stupidly irks me.

As entertaining as her shit-talking has been, Dana definitely needs more seasoning before heading to the main roster.

I don't disagree with that. I think 6 more months(she was improving by the week before the injury) and Dana will be ready. It's not like being the new Brie Bella is a high bar to clear(Dana's already has 100 times more charisma). Emma will carry the work load anyway.

Straight from Vinnie Mac's reasons to dislike talent, and I'm sure it's just me (no really) but Emma's kneepads make her look like she has disproportionate sized legs. I know, I know, I'm going to hell, but it's a little thing that stupidly irks me.

It's probably just you, because this is the first time I've heard that complaint.

There's nothing about character that she has to learn.  Whether she goes to the main roster or not (or whether that is even in the plans), her one thing to learn is about wrestling for the cameras.  I would say she's picked that up pretty quick.

She has the most physical charisma of anyone on the roster. There is not much to her character that we need to get than badass sadistic Japanese lady who likes taunting her opponents and looking good doing it. Shit, Roman's gimmick for a better part of year was staring hard and not smiling for a better part of a year.

She's really only worked squash matches. She hasn't really shown very much on NXT. If the people in charge thought she was the most physically charismatic worker on the entire roster and had literally nothing to learn, she'd have been fast tracked to the main roster already.

One thing I want to see Asuka do before she moves up is have a long match. She's also been well protected when it comes to outside the ring activities.

Was the near 15 min. Takeover London match with Emma too short for you?

She's really only worked squash matches. She hasn't really shown very much on NXT. If the people in charge thought she was the most physically charismatic worker on the entire roster and had literally nothing to learn, she'd have been fast tracked to the main roster already.

Not really. They are still in the restructure phase on the main roster and having three of the Four Horsewomen move up left something of a whole in NXT for the level of talent they want vying for the belt at Takeover events.

Not really. They are still in the restructure phase on the main roster and having three of the Four Horsewomen move up left something of a whole in NXT for the level of talent they want vying for the belt at Takeover events.

I can't tell if you're really disagreeing with me, because this is a very solid argument for not calling Asuka up at this point.

That really says more about Bayley's reign since then, since while she's had her matches, she's been really good at solidifying all the current women under the NXT rotation and making it so that when she gets her inevitable callup, they'll be ready to put on the same high-quality storylines the Horsewomen got [even if the matches are lacking.] Just since getting the title, the NXT division will be ready with some workers to work with Asuka and allow them to gradually add Billie Kay/Peyton Royce/Athena/whatever indy women are next to sign into the rotation at will.

I think they figured out the Divas Revoultion. It took a bit because they had to introduce three characters and put them in the mix. The big show did a way better job translating Becky into a persona than NXT. Charlotte has absolutely ruled since her heel turn. Her and Ric are maybe the best act going right now. And we all know Sasha is awesome.

It sucks Nikki went out because she is very good in the ring, despite being awful as a character.

I can't tell if you're really disagreeing with me, because this is a very solid argument for not calling Asuka up at this point.

You were implying Asuka wasn't ready. I'm saying its more a case of NXT needing her more. We are in agreement about them not needing to call her up. Our reasons for why though are different.

Asuka should stay in NXT for quite some time.  For one, I don't trust the main roster to get her, at least not at this time.  If they can't find a way to transition from this "Bitches be crazy" thing with the Divas then keep her far away from that shit.  Also, she would be a great champion for when Bayley's called up and you have ready-made feuds with Nia and other women to go with.

As for her not showing everything, that's kind of the point.  She's supposed to be this dominant ass-kicker with shit tons of charisma.  Takeover match aside she shouldn't be fully tested until she has a feud with Nia, and they have plenty of time for that to happen.

One thing I want to see Asuka do before she moves up is have a long match. She's also been well protected when it comes to outside the ring activities.

Was the near 15 min. Takeover London match with Emma too short for you?

Emma's awesome isn't she? Even back then I comment on just how great she was and how she carried that match.

EDIT: And shame on me for forgetting to mention Dana and how invaluable she was ring side.

So great to see Santana in NXT even if it is as a jobber. She has certainly come a long way. I remember seeing her and Amber O'Neal wrestling in Vegas for WOW a few years ago (as well as a pre-Lucha Underground Melissa Santos) lol

If she has more showings like the one aired this week, I don't have any idea why they would keep her in the JTTS role. Really smooth technically outside of a few moments of hesitation because of what I image was too much pre-planning with a wrestler that doesn't speak fluent English (probably one of the main reasons why Asuka isn't on the main roster other than the call-ups of the horsewomenz), athletic, aggressive mindset, and she's very attractive. Not much to dislike there. Can she cut a decent promo?

Funnily enough - Garrett works Japan (She holds one of Stardom's belts) so I am working under the assumption she knows basic Japanese so working with Asuka benefits them both