DVDVR Message Board

2016 NXT GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I got 99 problems but a gimmick ain't one.  Yeah, I know, that was pretty painful even by my standards.

But seriously, I'm hoping these matches they're doing at house shows leads to cool stuff on TV.  Revival/AA went around the country doing stuff before Takeover, but I'm hoping to see more house show matches translate to TV.  Why not tag up Aries/Finn against Joe and somebody else?  Or why not have Bayley do something goofy like she does on house shows?  It's NXT, there's room for fun stuff to happen within reason.

But is it too much to ask to debut Manny already and get a match with him against Nakamura?  Put it for a Takeover show if you can get people to care about the guy.

Yeah, when I go to a show, I go to experience it, not to think about balancing my phone to make sure that I capture enough of the action. 

Yeah, but there's always that one guy that doesn't care about such things.  When something cool happens we can't help but wish to see it and love when somebody does that.  That, and we can be pretty selfish about these kind of things.  I don't care for people doing that at a show if I'm there, would prefer to experience it.  But if somebody put up Nak/Manny who am I to complain?

And God bless those folks for their sacrifice. Just warning y'all that if they run, say, Nak/Bayley vs. Joe/Nia next month and I'm there, you will get zero footage from me. 

Man, I hope they run that match. 

Joe/Nakamura was such a great match. I feel bad for seeing it live but I don't. Should be even better when the run it at Full Sail for TV or the next takeover. Joe held his own and was awesome.

This show also featured 3 women's matches and a crazy WAR type 6 man tag with Tucker kNight, No Way Jose and Manny Andrade vs Dylan Miley and the Revival. Seeing Manny and Dawson together was a treat.

I think about cards like this:

WCW @ Greenville, SC - Memorial Auditorium - December 27, 1992 (2,400)
Johnny B. Badd defeated Scotty Flamingo in a boxing match
Madusa defeated Paul E. Dangerously in a 5-minute challenge
Erik Watts defeated Brian Pillman
WCW World Champion Ron Simmons & Dustin Rhodes defeated Barry Windham & Big Van Vader via disqualification
NWA World Champion Masahiro Chono defeated Steve Austin
Sting defeated Jushin Liger
WCW/NWA Tag Team Champions Ricky Steamboat & Shane Douglas defeated the Great Muta & Kensuke Sasaki at around the 35-minute mark

And the fact that while maybe it seemed like there'd be an opportunity for some of those things to be TV matches at some point, the most special ones never were. They were just lost forever. 2,400 people got to see them. And yeah, in 1992, it was hard to film things. It took a lot of effort.

In 2016, it really doesn't. I have a feeling they'll never run that Joe/Jax tag on TV. I worry a little less about a singles match with Joe vs Nakamura. 

I think about history, about how much I want to see Sting vs Liger, or that main event tag. I get that people want to enjoy themselves at shows because the live experience to see something no one else will ever see is special. But man. There are hundreds of WCW matches like that over the years that are just lost forever.

We had a similar conversation on the pod this week when talking about Blackjack Mulligan. How many younger Mulligan vs younger Andre matches are there? Or younger Mulligan in Crockett or the younger Blackjacks in the AWA ? There's a squash match on youtube with the blackjacks and "pretty boy" bobby heenan where it ends with Lanza putting the cobra on the job guy and then Mulligan comes in and puts on a cobra on the other side, so its a double cobra. Not sure i've seen that before. 

3 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

What does this mean? Was Dallas heavily padded?

It means they don't want the babies at Full Sail to get pissy about not getting Takeovers anymore. They did 5,000 people for a house show Mania weekend in 2015, and 10,000 for a Takeover S. Slam weekend. They could've had their biggest  audience ever this year if they had access to a bigger building.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JCM said:

It means they don't want the babies at Full Sail to get pissy about not getting Takeovers anymore. They did 5,000 people for a house show Mania weekend in 2015, and 10,000 for a Takeover S. Slam weekend. They could've had their biggest  audience ever this year if they had access to a bigger building.

They're having an NXT show Summerslam weekend, right?  Is this not a "Takeover" show then?

Okay - to clarify since I think Wyld focused on the fact that I said "ticket sales"

It was from the list of upcoming events that tickets are going on sale for

6/8 is labelled as Special live taping

6/9 was labelled as TV Taping

Everyone went "Well Special Live has to be a Takeover"

The Cruiserweight tournament isn't going to be taped until the week of 6/20 - before anyone asks