DVDVR Message Board

2016 NXT GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Why the fuck do NXT producers insist on talent not looking at the camera in interviews? So bush league. I think I remember reading or hearing somebody say it was  Dusty thing, but that doesn't make sense at all. Can you imagine him delivering the hard times promo without looking at the camera? 

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Why the fuck do NXT producers insist on talent not looking at the camera in interviews? So bush league. I think I remember reading or hearing somebody say it was  Dusty thing, but that doesn't make sense at all. Can you imagine him delivering the hard times promo without looking at the camera? 

I think it is probably a byproduct of the fact that you are taught not to look into the camera for every other television production.  I honestly can't think of another television product where an interviewee staring directly into the camera wouldn't feel weird and out of place.  It definitely does make a difference in wrestling thought.

3 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I think they really missed the boat in not calling themselves Team Murder Death Kill.

That just sounds so Japanese-y.

Replace Team with Torture and you've got an awesome name.

Torture, Murder, Death, Kill

Interesting that Manny and Girard seem to be getting regular wins on the house shows.

I wouldn't be surprised if Girard is on the next tapings (I could see Manny being held till the tournament)

I'm most excited about Girard showing up. I think he's got great potential to step into the HHH "the guy who works with the guy who makes money" roll. Short term, he'll be a great foil for guys like Manny and Aries.

On 2016-04-23 at 5:22 PM, Wyld Samurai said:

I think they really missed the boat in not calling themselves Team Murder Death Kill.

That just sounds so Japanese-y.

Until a couple of weeks ago I legit thought that was what TMDK stood for.

On 4/22/2016 at 0:46 PM, JRGoldman said:

So in Hunter's ongoing fantasy rebooking of Golden Age ROH, who gets the Punk role of midcarder who pushes Joe to the limit with a couple hour long draws? 

In this analogy, Balor is "Xavier with facepaint", which actually works surprisingly well. 

Is that what the story of that Punk/Joe match was supposed to be? I always thought Punk was "One of Joe's toughest tests" the moment he got the title shot.

• Like 1

The issue is that with Sami, Crews, Corbin and assumedly Balor all gone there's a big gap. Aries would be the obvious choice as a first contender if the long game is to set up Joe-Nakamura for Takeover: Summerslam. They do need to build up behind them quickly, though, since I assume none of the three of them are long for NXT at this point. 

Somewhere in there, Joe needs to give someone the Wins By The Skin Of His Teeth Rub who isn't leaving anytime soon. 

20 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Is that what the story of that Punk/Joe match was supposed to be? I always thought Punk was "One of Joe's toughest tests" the moment he got the title shot.

Punk was fresh off a a tag title run and was viewed mostly as the leader of the Second City Saints at that point. Up until that point, he hadn't really won a singles feud with the exception of Raven. He had lost to Joe in under 15 minutes less than a year before, lost a match for the number one contendership to Danielson, lost a couple falls to Homicide, and lost in the finals of the Pure Title tournament to Styles (and lost the subsequent rematch). He had a distinct "always the bridesmaid" feel to him as a singles guy. Leading up to that title match, Punk had dropped his last four singles falls, and the title match against Joe didn't go on last because Gabe wanted it to be be a surprise that Joe would get pushed in what people felt would be a walkover. The main event was some Ultimate Survival Tag thing I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JRGoldman said:

Punk was fresh off a a tag title run and was viewed mostly as the leader of the Second City Saints at that point. Up until that point, he hadn't really won a singles feud with the exception of Raven. He had lost to Joe in under 15 minutes less than a year before, lost a match for the number one contendership to Danielson, lost a couple falls to Homicide, and lost in the finals of the Pure Title tournament to Styles (and lost the subsequent rematch). He had a distinct "always the bridesmaid" feel to him as a singles guy. Leading up to that title match, Punk had dropped his last four singles falls, and the title match against Joe didn't go on last because Gabe wanted it to be be a surprise that Joe would get pushed in what people felt would be a walkover. The main event was some Ultimate Survival Tag thing I think.

Technically, he still had the belts at the time. And the point of Punks push to me was that he was constantly saying he was getting screwed over by outside forces, and he always had a point. Inconsistent interpretation of the Pure Title rules cost him the match with Styles. Still though, I never really viewed it that way, but I see your point. 

On 24/04/2016 at 10:49 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Replace Team with Torture and you've got an awesome name.

Torture, Murder, Death, Kill

that's not very PG, so we'll have to change it to:

Tomato, Mustard, Dill, Ketchup

10 hours ago, JRGoldman said:

After Punk lost the final encounter and Aries won, I remember thinking the booking was there all along in 2004. Aries was quickly rising up the ranks and having big matches and accomplishing big things like Survival of the Fittest. He also beat Punk the shows before the Joe finale in the Weekend of Thunder stuff.

If Gabe had been Vince or any WWE booker during that whole run, people would say that Punk was being buried, which is why wrestling fans need to never use the phrase "he's being buried" ever again.

I think that's the building where ECW "invaded" RAW right before their first PPV. I seem to recall Sabu jumping off the RAW sign and missing most of Taz's posse. And you had the bWo, which Vince said was not to be confused with the "nWo clothing line."

8 minutes ago, zev said:

I think that's the building where ECW "invaded" RAW right before their first PPV. I seem to recall Sabu jumping off the RAW sign and missing most of Taz's posse. And you had the bWo, which Vince said was not to be confused with the "nWo clothing line."

That was at the Manhattan Center.

• Like 2