DVDVR Message Board

2016 NXT GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

It's just interesting that they feed Crews to Corbin on all these tours when they could clearly use someone else (like Tye Dillinger for one random example)

Apollo's lack of charisma might be preventing him from getting a push, but he is still really damn good in the ring. Corbin will benefit a lot more from working with Crews than Dillinger, Riley, Bull, or whatever other aimless lowcarder you'd throw in there.

Apparently Ty Dillanger got injured tonight vs Sami Zayn. Looks like a knee injury. Hope he's ok.

On the Drifter and Crews. It almost like they are purposly making the Drifter boring as a troll job on Full Sail. Kinda like the male Eva Marie. I've seen him on house shows and he's not that bad. He was actually getting babyface heat before they debuted him on TV. His house show theme music was really good.

As for Crews, I still think he would be better as a smart ass heel. He's over at full sail but not in the league of Finn, Sami or even a guy like Enzo Amore or the Vaudevillans.

Detroit Show results

Enzo & Big Cass over The Vaudevillians.

Carmella made Alexa Bliss submit.

Drifter beat Johnny Wrestling Gargano.

The Sami Zayn vs. Tye Dillinger match was stopped due to a leg injury to Dillinger.

We are currently at intermission.

Bayley beat Nia Jax with the Bayley To Belly suplex to retain the NXT Women's Title.

American Alpha beat Dash and Dawson by DQ so the champions retain the NXT Tag Titles.

By the way, Sami Zayn did some mic work after his match to regain the crowd energy. Drifter attacked Zayn so that Sami could do his Helluva Kick for the crowd.

Finn defended his NXT Title in a Four Way match that included Baron Corbin, Samoa Joa and Apollo Crews. Finn pinned Corbin. At the end, Joe had Corbin in RNC. Apollo hit standing moonsault and covered both for a pinfall. Finn broke that up with double stomp and pinned Corbin to retain NXT Title

Great show overall. Well worth $64. Everybody was over except The Drifter, who had "go away" heat. This was the most enjoyable wrestling show I've attended since ROH's Anniversary show in Dayton, Ohio a dozen years ago.

The comments at the end where the guy who sent in the results to PWI

So, am I alone in not getting Elias Samson at all? He's pedestrian in the ring and the gimmick is the equivalent of listening to hold music while waiting for a dental appointment booking. He and Crews are both instant fast forward material for me right now.

I don't know why you'd think you were alone when reports are that the Full Sail crowds are turning on him and using his match for a bathroom break.

I really want to love everything about NXT, but those crowds are *always* garbage and *always* make a show actively worse.

• Like 1

The Full Sail crowd sucks, but fortunately Trips and co have been using "go away heat" from spoiled/impatient shit heads to their advantage since Bo Dallas. Samson might turn it around or he might not, but it's nice that he is going to get the chance.  

The stalling and long drawn out pause before the elbow drop is fine and could actually be more effective in front of that crowd in the long run.  I also like "brooding stranger" as a character base, but he needs a few tweaks.  Either drop the guitar or incorporate it more.  Maybe add something else instead.  He seems like a guy who should be putting out a cigarette when the bell rings.

Granted it is "just" the local tour but the apparently had Asuka/Emma main event the show last night

Equally granted, people were complaining about the local tour being "just a B-show" and whining about it all night because Asuka/Emma was the only TV-caliber match on the Florida tour. The rest of the card there:

Hugo Knox v Angelo Dawkins

Aliyah, Liv Morgan and Sara Lee v Billie Kay, Peyton Royce and Mandy

Josh Woods v Gzim Selmani

King Constantine v Sunny Dhinsa

Tino Sabbatelli and Tucker Knight v Blake and Murphy

Bull Dempsey, Kenneth Crawford and Rich Swann v Sawyer Fulton, Steve Cutler and Chris Gerard

Riddick Moss v Manny Andrade

Asuka v Emma

Equally, equally granted to this, this is more of an example of the Florida crowd's sucking: For every fan who gets what each level of NXT is, you have at least one spoiled, entitled little babies ruining it all for everyone and basically being everything that people called them out for when NXT Brooklyn was announced.

Samson doesn't seem to get anything from the Full Sail crowd, though, not even "go away heat".

The crowd was just dead silent during his match last week, you could have heard a pin drop.

The problem with taping that much TV at a time is that if a crowd is dead for you it will look like a months worth of crowds are dead for you. 

Let's see if they boo him on this next set of tapings against Crews.  Which, I believe, is where these "go away heat" reports are coming from.

Granted it is "just" the local tour but the apparently had Asuka/Emma main event the show last night

Equally granted, people were complaining about the local tour being "just a B-show" and whining about it all night because Asuka/Emma was the only TV-caliber match on the Florida tour. The rest of the card there:

Bull Dempsey, Kenneth Crawford and Rich Swann v Sawyer Fulton, Steve Cutler and Chris Gerard

Asuka v Emma

Equally, equally granted to this, this is more of an example of the Florida crowd's sucking: For every fan who gets what each level of NXT is, you have at least one spoiled, entitled little babies ruining it all for everyone and basically being everything that people called them out for when NXT Brooklyn was announced.

Did they announce who would be on the show beforehand? I could see being disappointed, if you expected to see Joe, Zayn, Bàlor etc. and not getting any of them.

If they announced the line-up beforehand, then yeah, that's just stupid. Besides they still got to see that main event and the former La Sombra, Biff Busick and Rich Swann. Doesn't seem like such a bad show.

Asuka v Emma

Did they announce who would be on the show beforehand? I could see being disappointed, if you expected to see Joe, Zayn, Bàlor etc. and not getting any of them.

If they announced the line-up beforehand, then yeah, that's just stupid. Besides they still got to see that main event and the former La Sombra, Biff Busick and Rich Swann. Doesn't seem like such a bad show.

I believe WWE's website advertised that Emma/Asuka/Vaudevillains/Hype Bros would be on Florida loop this weekend. Vaudevillains ended up being on main loop, Hype Bros were MIA.. (Did they tour with main WWE roster?)  Joe and Balor were advertised ahead of time for the main loop.

So, am I alone in not getting Elias Samson at all? He's pedestrian in the ring and the gimmick is the equivalent of listening to hold music while waiting for a dental appointment booking. He and Crews are both instant fast forward material for me right now.

Samson should have watched Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer and read up on Henry Lee Lucas and Ottis Toole as a prerequisite for being The Drifter.

I want to throw in The Night of the Hunter (1955) too but that would require his gimmick to have a religious overtone to it.

• Like 1

If Mojo gets called up before [insert pretty much anyone in NXT except Bull], I'll... probably bitch about it here or something.

The Hype Bros belong on the main roster at this point. They're a solid lower card team that can job on The Main Event or Superstars. I can't see Mojo improving much more. 

If Mojo gets called up before [insert pretty much anyone in NXT except Bull], I'll... probably bitch about it here or something.

The Hype Bros belong on the main roster at this point. They're a solid lower card team that can job on The Main Event or Superstars. I can't see Mojo improving much more. 

At least he got rid of (most of) his ass-based offense.