DVDVR Message Board

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Reactions - SPOILERS HERE ONLY

goodhelmet

... Luke was standing by a tombstone in the final scene? Whaaat?

My guess is that it is Anakin's / Vader's grave marking the reliquary where Anakin's ashes are kept. 

Now that we know Kylo Ren's identity, the scene in the trailer where he is apparently worshipping Vader's helmet as an idol makes perfect sense.

Yay! I can finally read everything in this thread and the other thread (I really did my best to avoid details for the last like 18 months).

I will admit to not being able to rewatch it multiple times right now to see some more of the peripheral things is going to irritate me.

This also might be the first time that I can see the "binge watching" effect on myself as I definitely caught myself going "Wait - I can't watch everything right now to know how it ends?"

• Like 1

The more I think about the movie, the less I like it. Well executed, no doubt, but the laziness of the plot makes me appreciate the complaints of hardcore Trek fans have towards JJ. God forbid they adapt some of the good novels, or have an original idea. Killing off Han, while it may been a good plot point, was such a kick in the nuts to hardcore fans that I would have preferred not even to have him in the movie at all rather than that. . . .

The wife and I marked over the Millennium Falcon because we totally weren't expecting it

And then them just being in the ship got me all emotional

I suck

I did not cry when Han died.  I was very proud of myself. 

Then fucking Luke shows up right at the end and Rey presents the lightsaber and they give each other big ups without uttering one word.  I started to tear up and my daughter exclaims, "Aw, Dad.  You almost made it..." and gives me a hug which solicited chuckles throughout the audience.

• Like 5

See, I'm a hardcore fan but I'm with Rippa in that Han back on the Falcon was what got me all misty eyed. Obviously we've all seen the "Chewy, we're home" line a billion times in the trailers but after that when JJ gave it a minute to let him look around it was hard not to get choked up.

I won't say the death didn't affect me at all because, I mean, it's Han but I didn't really get that "gut punch" feeling so many others are describing. I guess it's because I've seen a gazillion Star Wars documentaries over the years and heard Ford say over and over he wanted Lucas to kill him at the end of Empire or the beginning of Jedi. So as soon as he went on that bridge I kinda thought to myself, "Well, he finally gets his wish...."

Did love that scene though just because it was so Han. Of course the first thing he'd say to his idiot kid would be "Take off that mask."

Yay! I can finally read everything in this thread and the other thread (I really did my best to avoid details for the last like 18 months).

I will admit to not being able to rewatch it multiple times right now to see some more of the peripheral things is going to irritate me.

This also might be the first time that I can see the "binge watching" effect on myself as I definitely caught myself going "Wait - I can't watch everything right now to know how it ends?"

I only ever saw the first trailer (several times) and after that did everything I could to avoid any additional teasers/trailers/commercials/spoilers. Like I wouldn't even look at the merchandise. I'm really glad that I did, made it so much better to know almost nothing.

Oh damn I didn't notice that at all.  Another thing - the more I watch it, the more that meeting between Luke and Rey look like two people who absolutely know each other.  

I also really didn't realize until multiple viewings how fucked up Kylo Ren got at the end of that lightsaber fight.  He basically has a hole in his face, I'm assuming a saber wound through the left shoulder is going to kill that arm pretty badly, and may or may not have lost a hand depending on where you look.  I don't think we're going to be seeing a whole lot of unmasked Ren anymore after this.  

Oh damn I didn't notice that at all.  Another thing - the more I watch it, the more that meeting between Luke and Rey look like two people who absolutely know each other.  

I also really didn't realize until multiple viewings how fucked up Kylo Ren got at the end of that lightsaber fight.  He basically has a hole in his face, I'm assuming a saber wound through the left shoulder is going to kill that arm pretty badly, and may or may not have lost a hand depending on where you look.  I don't think we're going to be seeing a whole lot of unmasked Ren anymore after this.  

Of course they knew each other. She was crying when she met him. Darth Silo knew who she was too. So did Han. And the lightsaber. And apparently Yoda/Obi-Wan. Preternatural piloting/mechanic skill. Able to resist a force mind fuck and do it back to apparently the second strongest dark side dude in the universe without even realizing. Plus it is a Star Wars movie. If she's NOT a Skywalker, Disney would be on that Russo "swerve for the sake of swerve" shit. 

The more I think about the movie, the less I like it. Well executed, no doubt, but the laziness of the plot makes me appreciate the complaints of hardcore Trek fans have towards JJ. God forbid they adapt some of the good novels, or have an original idea. Killing off Han, while it may been a good plot point, was such a kick in the nuts to hardcore fans that I would have preferred not even to have him in the movie at all rather than that. . . .

The hardcores were never going to be happy

The second they announced that the Expanded Universe no longer existed - they was no way hardcores would be happy.

And if one was going to claim "hardcore" status but be all WELL THE EU DIDN'T MATTER - they would have bitched had the original characters NOT been included in the new movies.

It is exactly like all the WWE supporters who hate watch all the program and still buy the Network just so they can proclaim how terrible it is and how out of touch Vince is

For the record - I did let out a quiet sigh of resignation when it Kylo Ren's name was Ben and not Jacen (or even Anakin)

• Like 3

EU never mattered. The new EU that started with Disney where EVERYTHING is canon is bullshit. It don't mean a thing of it ain't on that screen. Never has, never will. For any franchise. If you have to sell supplementary material for your films to fill in shit, when only a very small chunk of the viewing audience is ever going to read that stuff, you're fucking up. There will probably be 15 different books/comics about various lines in TFA that 80% or more of the audience will never read or care about, and they will not matter at all in the next movies.

• Like 2

I don't disagree with a single thing in regards to who Disney SHOULD be marketing to. But when Keustar refers to "hardcores" - they do/did care about the EU

And if they didn't care about the EU then they aren't "hardcores"

But what if I cared about the EU, read almost all of it, got bitter when Disney erased it, but ended up perfectly happy with the movie and got over it?

Don't make me side eye you

You know what my point is/was (since it was directly about Keustar's point of "was such a kick in the nuts to hardcore fans that I would have preferred not even to have him in the movie at all rather than that. . . .")