DVDVR Message Board

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Reactions - SPOILERS HERE ONLY

goodhelmet

If we go with the assumption that Rey was a youngling Luke was training, and he abandoned her on Jakku for her own protection after Kylo killed the rest of his students, that's probably pretty safe. But what if, instead of her being a Skywalker or a Kenobi, he was making sure to isolate her specifically because she has a family connection to the dark side... because she's a Palpatine?

Rey is Spanish for King. And a King is sort of like an Emperor, with less territory. And Emperador is a stupid name for a girl.

nausicaa willow han solo army darkness that part of unforgiven where he's trying to get on the horse.  This weird burnt cgi bad guy sucks major dick.  Kylo Ren would've been cooler if it was old time Michael Wincott.  C3PO is the jar jar of this film. Han Solo has been woodsheding on old Bruce Campbell shit.  This is way funnier than any star wars bullshit.  If you are older than 20 it was obvious this would involve the force children.  I'm struggling with how people have been getting spoiled.  Everything has pretty much aligned with what my mind naturally extrapolates from the idea.  They also went straight on with the Nazi shit didn't they?  Kylo needed a scene where he was playing with action figures. CGI ackbar's look lame.  Kylo looks like old time Mario Bava actor dude.  I guess "han dies" is a spoiler but really?  The death star planet blowing up is kind of a minor point of the film.  Even is space the black guy can't survive.

• Like 1

This is what I wrote in a notepad file while watching a potato version of this film at home on a sunday night while successfully avoiding all spoilers except the ones that existed in my mind.  WHICH WERE NUMEROUS AND ACCURATE

See how in Empire, when Vader has his little hologram conversation with the Emperor, and Palpatine's head is 20 feet high? And then when you see him in person, he's a normal sized human dude? I bet Supreme Leader Snoke is like Yoda-sized in real life. That massive hologram is clearly over-compensating for something.

Has anyone made a 'Knights of Ren? Where are the Wizards of Stimpy?' joke yet? Because it's kind of obvious.

If you can be a darkside force guy without being a Sith*, can you be a light side guy without being a Jedi? Can you be powerful in the force using both sides, without favouring either one?

* Which you already could, because Asajj Ventress was darkside but not Sith. She said she was Sith, but Count Dooku was all "You are not Sith". Tartakovsky Clone Wars is still canon, right?

See how in Empire, when Vader has his little hologram conversation with the Emperor, and Palpatine's head is 20 feet high? And then when you see him in person, he's a normal sized human dude? I bet Supreme Leader Snoke is like Yoda-sized in real life. That massive hologram is clearly over-compensating for something.

Just for fowler

DSC046521.jpg

• Like 1

I really hope Disney isn't going to keep up the mass saturation marketing with a Star Wars every year now. The idea of this being a yearly or even every other year thing sounds brutal. Combined with all the marketing for the Marvel movies. Disney pls.

Doesn't Rebels take place before Hope? And Rogue One the story of stealing the Death Star plans?

Rey would be around 35-40 at the time of TFA.

I forgot the Star Wars rebels timeline. Plus Kanan, Ezra and Ahsoka have to be dead long enough that it's a big deal Luke shows up. Star Wars Rebels is so morbid.

Maybe Snoke is Ezra.

I greatly enjoyed the movie, though it's not without it's flaws. This was not a perfect movie by any means. The more I reflect and think about it, I think of little imperfections and holes in the story and the way it played out in the movie. Biggest complaint is that Kylo Ren took his mask off too early and too often. Should not have taken it off on the Rae interrogation scene. Only time should've have been, if it had to be at all, was his face to face with Han where his father sees his face for the first time in a long time, and his last time. The hand on the cheek before falling to his death could've meant more. But then he puts it back on and we never see it again.

I do think there were pacing issues. I think that the relationships didn't have enough time on screen to really mean much to us as the viewers. For example, Finn and Po have a huge hug when they are reunited after the attack at the Jedi Temple as if they were long lost best friends. But honestly did they do much of anything together other than escape the New Order and then crash on Jakku? I kind of feel the same way about how Rae and Han's relationship progressed. It was obviously supposed to be a huge thing and be Rae seeing Han as her father figure, but what in the movie showed that? Not much.

But again, I consider these to be small issues of an otherwise great movie. I don't think it was better than Empire. I'm not even sure if it was better than A New Hope, though that may just be nostalgia for A New Hope. But it was damn good and a strong #3 possible #2 on my current list. Given time and distance and many more viewings, that may change. For now, it has erased the horrid taste in my mouth from the prequels and I am super excited about Star Wars again.

I teared up and almost did cry when Han died. I knew it was about to happen. It was set up perfectly for that to exactly happen. I was expecting it. But it still hit me hard. It was very much a "Luke watches Obi Wan die" moment from A New Hope. This movie basically undid everything that has been done from the previous 6 movies. In the prequel trilogy, it shows how the Jedi order fell and how the Empire started it's rise. The original trilogy shows how the Rebel Force toppled the Empire. This movie destroyed both of what was left of the Empire/The New Order when the Rebellion blew up the Starkiller Planet, but not before the Starkiller blew up 5 of the major Rebellion planets. They just cancelled each other out and all that set up in the previous 6 movies......all gone.

I'm very excited to see where the next two take this journey and how these characters progress from here.

I understand why they had such a media/marketing blitz for the film--it was a huge investment for Disney, and had to pay off. But it also seemed totally unnecessary. All they needed was the preview and a reminder that there's a new Star Wars movie.

A bit more on the friend that is mindblowingly weird about this film.

We went to grad school together for screenwriting but we weren't THOSE PEOPLE.  You know what I mean.  The ones who shit on cool movies.  We prided ourselves on not being those douchebags.  I mean, come on dude, look at my fucking username.

He moved away and he cut off all social media so our communication is just texting.

I get a text friday telling me I should exchange my tickets for Good Dinosaur because at least that knows how to tell a coherent story and that he couldn't believe it but the Lucas movies were better.  ACCUSED DISNEY OF BUYING GOOD REVIEWS.  He's getting kind of conspiracy theorist in his time away from civilization.

WHAT WASN'T COHERENT ABOUT THE STORY?  IT WAS REALLY STRAIGHT FORWARD SHIT DUDES

So I don't respond.  I wasn't seeing it until yesterday, didn't want him to slip in any fucking details.  I managed to go in spoiler free.

I guess he texted WHILE we were at the movie asking I saw it yet.  I said yeah we loved the movie, what's wrong with you?

"Are you fucking with me?"

"No, we loved it.  A couple of us already saw it twice"

"Wow..."

Haven't heard back since.

WHAT THE FUCK?

There's a valid critisism that there are a few plot holes there.  *But*, everything that I've seen people complaning about is again, something that you wouldn't ask if you paid attention.  While they don't outright tell you how some things happen, they put the dots there, and its not hard to connect them.  I mean, if you're someone that needs to have every aspect spelled out for you, then yeah, I can see you complaning about it. 

I can see where some people might be upset that they "undid everything from the Saga".  I disagree that they did, but I can see that POV.

I feel like a lot of that is people putting too much weight in how much killing some top guys and blowing up a Death Star would stop the Empire.  IT WORKED SO WELL THE FIRST TIME THAT WE HAD TWO MORE MOVIES AND ANOTHER DEATH STAR

All the Empire's stuff is still out there with all the generals and shit that still fucking hate the Rebels.  A lot of those motherfuckers probably thought they'd do better than Darth Vader if they had a shot, now they have a shot.

What'd be really cool is to see these factions fight against each other while our heroes point and laugh or I guess fight too if you really have to have it that way.

Like this movie is all New Order New Order HOW DOES IT FEEL TO TREAT ME LIKE YOU DO but there's probably 50 other groups just like them that aren't the pain in the ass at that moment.

• Like 2

There's a valid critisism that there are a few plot holes there.  *But*, everything that I've seen people complaning about is again, something that you wouldn't ask if you paid attention.  While they don't outright tell you how some things happen, they put the dots there, and its not hard to connect them.  I mean, if you're someone that needs to have every aspect spelled out for you, then yeah, I can see you complaning about it. 

Going back to something we were talking about a few pages ago, watching it a 2nd time it was VERY clear that Luke gave R2 instructions on how to find him.  When Rey has the vision as she touches the lightsaber, you see Luke bending over to whisper instructions to R2.