DVDVR Message Board

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Reactions - SPOILERS HERE ONLY

goodhelmet

Yeah, considering how many beats from ANH this took, Leia's mission in ANH was to grab the Death Star plans *AND* swing by Tatooine to pick up Obi-Wan (and by extention, Luke).  Since Bail was one of the 3 people that knew the twins true parentage and where Yoda and Obi-Wan were fucking off too at the end of Sith, the deal was the Jedi came out of hiding and trained the kids when the Force deemed ready, and a big ass Superweapon meant "it's time."

Yeah, Luke fucked off to a remote planet when he dissappeared, but he had to realize that at some point, the solution to the Kylo Ren problem would present itself much like him being the solution to the Sith problem did, so he left a trail.  Leia initiating a pet project to go find him makes perfect sense, since it 1, worked before, and 2, If there's a big ass Superweapon in existance, it might be handy to go find the last remaining Jedi who happened to destroy a big ass Superweapon before.  

So thinking about it, Kylo Ren's lightsaber being kinda incomplete and chaotic in its blade makes perfect sense to someone who's immature and rattled easily.  He's chaotic, incomplete.  It'll be interesting to see if he *does* mature and learn to focus when things aren't going his way if his Saber cleans up to reflect it.

I don't even have a huge problem with all the stuff I've been raising. I get why it was necessary. I also admit that while I'm not someone hugely invested into the idea of the EU, I am someone who likes world-building, and that generally likes utopian stories more than post-apocalyptic ones. The fact that they were able to build so little after Jedi is personally frustrating to me because I always pictured it otherwise as I was growing up and there's more momentum (three decades) behind that fictional reality in my head than anything in real life that let me down. The issue isn't with the text. The issue is with my 30 years worth of perception of the text because it doesn't match up with what they decided to present (and even then, it probably could have if they just didn't blow up the New Republic just like that). At the end of the day that's my own problem to deal with if it hinders my enjoyment of what they're presenting and it didn't bother my 13 year old in the least. Quite the opposite; by doing it the way that they did, it gave him something to identify with as his own and he does, and that's worth more to me than protecting my own nostalgia. I'm just taking a few days here.

There's a valid critisism that there are a few plot holes there. *But*, everything that I've seen people complaning about is again, something that you wouldn't ask if you paid attention. While they don't outright tell you how some things happen, they put the dots there, and its not hard to connect them. I mean, if you're someone that needs to have every aspect spelled out for you, then yeah, I can see you complaning about it.

Going back to something we were talking about a few pages ago, watching it a 2nd time it was VERY clear that Luke gave R2 instructions on how to find him. When Rey has the vision as she touches the lightsaber, you see Luke bending over to whisper instructions to R2.
That's not really how JJ explained it, though.

According to him, R2 acquired the map when he downloaded the Empire's archives while jacked into the Death Star in ANH.

There's a valid critisism that there are a few plot holes there. *But*, everything that I've seen people complaning about is again, something that you wouldn't ask if you paid attention. While they don't outright tell you how some things happen, they put the dots there, and its not hard to connect them. I mean, if you're someone that needs to have every aspect spelled out for you, then yeah, I can see you complaning about it.

Going back to something we were talking about a few pages ago, watching it a 2nd time it was VERY clear that Luke gave R2 instructions on how to find him. When Rey has the vision as she touches the lightsaber, you see Luke bending over to whisper instructions to R2.

According to him, R2 acquired the map when he downloaded the Empire's archives while jacked into the Death Star in ANH.

Where is JJ explaining all this stuff?  Why didn;t he just explain it in the film?

• Like 1

Where is JJ explaining all this stuff? Why didn;t he just explain it in the film?
At a post-screening Q&A with Kasdan and Arndt.

I think Vile linked to basically the same story at a different website earlier in the thread. You have to go all the way down to the bottom to finally get to the deal on R2.

tl;dr: R2 downloaded the map while jacked into the Death Star in ANH, went into a grief-induced robot coma following Luke's disappearance, and when BB asked him about the map in bleep-bloop talk, R2 remembered that he had a similar map of Jedi temples and woke up. And it takes him so long to wake up after the fact...just because that's when the writers wanted it to happen.

So, according to the guys who wrote the movie, there was no grand plan hatched between Luke and R2. It was just coincidence. Which, in and of itself, only leads to more questions regarding that whole thing.

It was awesome. Cant remember being excited about going to see a film since The Dark Knight and a month and a half ago was my first time seeing any of Star Wars.

Really enjoyed it. Cant really say i loved any of the 3 new leads, if pushed id say Poe but im a huge Isaac fan. Finn was funny too. Rey was cool but im not seeing it....yet.

Finn and Poe reuniting was favourite moment of film for me.

Thought Ren was very well done both with/without mask.

The ending was dope.

One minor flaw was how much they took from EpIV but thats only a small thing.

The death scene hurt. It hurt bad.

I was very pleased with the dueling mind trick scene, because I'm so used to movies having a line like "I can't believe you are blocking my mind trick, and now you're reading my mind!" instead of just letting shit happen and you figure it out by body language. Worked so well they did it at least one more time, maybe twice. It was nice to see a movie, especially a tentpole movie, let a scene breathe and let the acting convey the story instead of the dialogue spelling it out for you.

• Like 4

Apparently one of the mystery cameos is, in the 'Rey has a vision while looking at the Lightsaber' scene, Ewen MacGregor is doing Obi-Wan's force ghost voiceover. Except for saying Rey's name, where they found a cut of Alex Guinness saying "afraid" and chopped off the Aff and D. So the line is a blend of both Obi-Wans talking.

I never heard the line when I saw the film though. Apparently there's a bit of Yoda speaking in there as well.

See the bit from the trailer where Luke's dialogue is taken from RotJ, "The force is strong in my family"? The "You have that power too" bit is from that same scene, he just says it before, not after.

Harrison Ford refused to come back unless they gave him a Downey deal. So he's going to end up personally pocketing $65,000,000 (estimated) for doing this movie.

Apparently one of the mystery cameos is, in the 'Rey has a vision while looking at the Lightsaber' scene, Ewen MacGregor is doing Obi-Wan's force ghost voiceover. Except for saying Rey's name, where they found a cut of Alex Guinness saying "afraid" and chopped off the Aff and D. So the line is a blend of both Obi-Wans talking.

I never heard the line when I saw the film though. Apparently there's a bit of Yoda speaking in there as well.

See the bit from the trailer where Luke's dialogue is taken from RotJ, "The force is strong in my family"? The "You have that power too" bit is from that same scene, he just says it before, not after.

Harrison Ford refused to come back unless they gave him a Downey deal. So he's going to end up personally pocketing $65,000,000 (estimated) for doing this movie.

No wonder he looked like he gave a shit on screen for the first time since Last Crusade.

I shudder at thinking about what he made when he re-upped for the Avengers sequels and Civil War.  

He refused to sign on for more unless all the main actors also got a giant pay bump. I think everyone in Avengers besides him and Sam Jackson made under $1M. Boyega and Ridley were both paid under half a million dollars for TFA. Disney doesn't fuck around with cheaping out when it comes to paying their stars.

I THINK their deal is that they'll get some percentage on the back end once the movie hits 2B or more. Or something crazy like that. Whereas Harrison Ford got the immediate points plus $25M, plus I think he got another $1M for his on-set injury.

And he finally got his wish for them to off Han.

Harrison Ford wins

I never knew this. I'm not into Star Wars compared to my other interests. I have watched the six films and probably will this at some point. My best mate fills me in on any Star Wars questions I have as he's a big fan.

I shudder at thinking about what he made when he re-upped for the Avengers sequels and Civil War.  

He refused to sign on for more unless all the main actors also got a giant pay bump. I think everyone in Avengers besides him and Sam Jackson made under $1M. Boyega and Ridley were both paid under half a million dollars for TFA. Disney doesn't fuck around with cheaping out when it comes to paying their stars.

"Why does that mouse only have three fingers and no thumb? So he can't pick up a cheque." - Robin Williams, discussing how much he got paid for Aladdin.

Saw the movie over the weekend and my friend's personal review was pretty accurate.  Doesn't feel fresh and new, but it is warmly familiar.  Really enjoyed it and glad I went to check it out, but not really swayed to watch this thing a million times over.

• Like 1