DVDVR Message Board

WWE RAW 12/14/15

steve

Also, hate it or love it nobody pulls a better reaction out of the audience (or puts asses on the sofa) than Triple H, Stephanie and Vince.

Your math is off. We've had two-thirds of that equation for most of the down year (less the last month or so).

The Authority coming out with Rollins (later Sheamus) for show-opening sleep-inducing 20 minute promos every week was what we had throughout the downturn. The differences this week were A) that HHH got the holy hell beat out of him Sunday, and B) Vince.

Also, hate it or love it nobody pulls a better reaction out of the audience (or puts asses on the sofa) than Triple H, Stephanie and Vince.

Your math is off. We've had two-thirds of that equation for most of the down year (less the last month or so).

The Authority coming out with Rollins (later Sheamus) for show-opening sleep-inducing 20 minute promos every week was what we had throughout the downturn. The differences this week were A) that HHH got the holy hell beat out of him Sunday, and B) Vince.

I said that.  I said people were interested in Reigns beating the hell out of Triple H and then RAW held their interest because Vince was there and it felt like a big deal and that anything could happen.  The problem with The Authority wasn't that it was HHH/Steph.  It was that nobody was booked to be a worthy adversary. When a dude beats the crap out of Triple H, it gets over big time. It worked for Batista, Bryan, Benoit and now Roman.  Ideally, I would like to see Roman vanquish the whole lot of them.

I'm sorry, are people actually complaining that Roman didn't get some sort of revenge on Steph and/or got slapped by her?

Yes. This is a big problem with Stephanie and the modern group-think of WWE. It's simple for me, in prowrestling a heel should always get what is coming to him/her. Plain and simple. WWE having a character that NEVER has to answer for his/her actions is counter productive. Sure, Stephanie will indirectly answer for her actions (her dad gets taken out later in the night and/or something happens to Hunter), but what happens to Stephanie? WWE is so obsessed with no male on female stuff but the female on male stuff is okay? It just don't come off good on TV as the situation is either:

A. Ryback looks like a complete dork because of WWE group-think

B. Reigns looks like a complete moron because of WWE group-think

Its like a lot of things in WWE, either shit-or-get-off-the-pot! WWE should just get rid of ALL intergender violence and it would resolve the problem. WWE is sending the wrong message (a message a lot of society loves to send out for some reason) that its okay for women to slap the shit out of men and expect no returns on the investment. Again, the best approach is just to get rid of it all. No more intergender violence unless WWE wants to make it equal (which will get some people upset). Stephanie Mcmahon is the most protected heel in the company right now.

This feels like some weird MRA shit that I'm not going to get into ("women can be abusers tooooooo"), but I will agree that Stephanie should not have been allowed to slap the shit out of the company's top face (pardon the pun) with zero recourse.  One slap, realize what you just did, get scared and get out of the ring quickly is typical heel MO.  But that?  What the fuck was that?  And then they crowed about showing Roman's beat up face on social media.  What was the point of that aside from getting Stephanie over as a badass at the expense of Reigns?  Where is the money in this angle?

Stephanie's role is ridiculous.  She's not a heel; because heels eventually get their comeuppance.  She's just feeding her own ego at this point.  She's tougher, smarter and more powerful than all the wrestlers and she has to make sure everybody knows it every single week.  It's tiresome.  Vince showed her how it's done and she should be embarrassed about whatever it is she's supposed to be doing on TV.

Completely agree with this.  There are SOOOO many ways for the male faces to get one over on Steph without physical interaction or the always unpleasant "you're a whore. LOL."  That actually might be a bigger problem than just Steph.  Did they rely on the above playbook so much in the Attitude Era that they forgot how to book male/female interaction? 

But yeah...  So many non-physical things they could do to get one up on Steph.  Put HER job on the line, make someone her boss, etc etc.

She really just doesn't get it, though.  Which is sort of hard to believe considering Vince is Vince and Trips has turned into a pretty great Vince substitute who will also bump around the ring like a wild man to get someone over.  You can't introduce the "Divas Revolution" and pander for face pops a month ago while ALSO slapping the shit out of Roman on Monday.  That shit just ain't pro wrestling.  She doesn't get it.

• Like 1

BAH GAWD KING that Raw was a new low. Vince was terrible and so much pandering.

DEAD CROWD. I think we've finally reached the year where Philly has no idea who Tommy Dreamer is anymore. Most boring "hardcore" match I've ever seen, in every respect.

Major Smackdown 2012 fast forward material with Swagger/everyone else that was in a popcorn match with Swagger.

Women's clusterfuck is awful.

New Day is sickeningly perfect. Damn them for making me tune in every week.

Glad they pulled the trigger on Roman. His chase was the worst. And has there ever been a lamer pop for knocking out Mr. McMahon? Hopefully now he can fail with no excuses and we can all get past this silliness.

I sound miserable but I actually do enjoy watching this. Or at least, I enjoy skipping through the show with my wife, talking to my friends, and listening to the Austin and Cheap Heat podcasts.

I'm just pulling your leg, Binky.  Your bitterness is an inspiration to us all. :)

Because in this context, the reference 100% worked.  Vince McMahon is an old man who's increasingly insecure about his virility.  He often talked his own scrotum as a grapefruit, for crying out loud.  Reigns needed to goad Vince into approving the match, and Vince had already tried to size him up.  It's been proven that insulting the Genetic Jackhammer can get you what you want.  Dude is hubris personified. So Reigns did what was necessary, and got the WHC match.

• Like 5

Anecdote: My casual fan co-worker went out of his way to tell me how much he enjoyed this episode of Raw.

They should've just had Roman run through HHH and Sheamus at Survivor Series, but now is obviously the time to see if he can be the man. Based on the reaction, they might still have a spark left even though it looked like they left him for dead since Mania 31. They need to get Sheamus out of the picture now, though. I think Rusev would be a good opponent at the Rumble. Roman's best Mania match up is Cena, but I hate the idea of Cena winning the Rumble.

Presumably, steph's comeuppance is being saved for Ronda.

And that's not happening anytime soon. If Holm kicks her ass again, MAYBE Rousey thinks about retiring from MMA and going to the WWE. But until that rematch happens, Dana's not letting her anywhere near a wrestling ring.

Even then, the whole point is still there beyond just "saving the comeuppance for a celebrity":

Pro wrestling is staged. This is beyond the fact, but because pro wrestling is staged, it still has an inherent benefit MMA doesn't have. If MMA builds up a huge main event, McGregor can destroy Aldo in 13 seconds with one punch and that's the finish. In pro wrestling, if they sell a big main event, it will be a 30-plus minute epic fight. A pro wrestling match will be longer and seem more hard-fought than an MMA fight...and there is your whole problem.

When the biggest plan for Stephanie McMahon's comeuppance can boil down to "Stephanie McMahon loses a pro wrestling match to Ronda Rousey, and given the process of pro wrestling matches, this barely trained executive and full-time mother is STILL guaranteed to end up looking like one of the five greatest female fighters on the planet by this loss"...that MIGHT BE A PROBLEM.