DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Winter 2016

Dolfan in NYC

RIP Jimmy Hill

Very sad day, one of the most vital figures in the history of modern football. Jimmy's innovations to the game itself and to the way we watch it on TV have really affected the way football is today. His impact of Coventry City, and the city itself, is impossible to sum up in words, a truly remarkable man and one whose legacy will live on forever.

• Like 1

I'm only 15 minutes in but Skrtel was completely overpowered on the 2nd goal. Lots of holes in the team but I think an upgrade on Skrtel and a keeper has to be at the top of the list. Other areas of need: DM, wide attacking player, and swap Benteke for somebody that will suit the pressing style better. Benteke is good but clearly a square peg in a round hole. Hopefully Chelsea really do want him.

Klopp was never going to turn this around himself. He's already got them playing better (no way we get results against city and chelsea with Rodgers) but 1 point from 9 against Newcastle, West Brom and Watford is gross. I said top 5 and I'll stick by it though because the league is so open.

Apparently they did a poll of Real fans to see if they wanted Jose back, and it's like 48% 'That would be the best Christmas present ever! Do it do it doitdoitdoit!' to 52% 'If that dickhead comes back, I'm giving up on football until he gets fired ag... no, wait, I'm supporting Atleti until he gets fired again! And I fucking hate Atleti!'.

He's already turned down Roma. He legit thinks he's getting the ManU gig.

A Stokie lad were in the shop the other day, legit worried that ManU might make a play for Sparky. I told him that there's no way Manchester Red fans would ever accept a Manager who'd already been seen to fail at Manchester Blues. But then we realised the Glazers don't care about things like history, or fans' opinions, so there's a chance they could come in for him. Good job they lost to Palace, really. Pardew at ManU would be 1407274293612_wps_3_Jose_Mourinho_R_Chel

• Like 1

Özil only has 15 assists to his name thus far in the season.  He has 21 matches left to set up 6 more goals in order to break Thierry Henry's Premier League record.  But he's no big deal, and an obvious transfer flop who doesn't run around and get stuck in enough, or so I've heard.

Özil only has 15 assists to his name thus far in the season.  He has 21 matches left to set up 6 more goals in order to break Thierry Henry's Premier League record.  But he's no big deal, and an obvious transfer flop who doesn't run around and get stuck in enough, or so I've heard.

"The jury's still out." 

• Like 1

Özil is a very good and skillful player. During 2014 World Cup I also got enough stats thrown at me to see that he's putting tremendous effort into matches aswell. The guy is running so much.

He is not the guy to win you matches single-handedly. The harsh judgement he gets seems based on the fifty million Euros fee. Well, 50 million isn't that much, seeing how much money is paid for players nowadays. England aswell as Barca, Real and PSG, even Bayern, are throwing money around like madmen.

Özil is a good player, playing football as a teamsport. Amazing playmaker. He has his droughts, and there is always a chance of collapse in form. But as soon as he gets back on track, he's a great player again. People expect him to be Messi and Ronaldo, which he is clearly not, but he is still 27 and has quite a few good years ahead of him.

Özil is a very good and skillful player. During 2014 World Cup I also got enough stats thrown at me to see that he's putting tremendous effort into matches aswell. The guy is running so much.

He is not the guy to win you matches single-handedly. The harsh judgement he gets seems based on the fifty million Euros fee. Well, 50 million isn't that much, seeing how much money is paid for players nowadays. England aswell as Barca, Real and PSG, even Bayern, are throwing money around like madmen.

Özil is a good player, playing football as a teamsport. Amazing playmaker. He has his droughts, and there is always a chance of collapse in form. But as soon as he gets back on track, he's a great player again. People expect him to be Messi and Ronaldo, which he is clearly not, but he is still 27 and has quite a few good years ahead of him.

EDIT: I'd like to state, however, that yesterday's assists are perfect examples as to why "the jury is still out" on Özil. Both goals were set up by simple looking passes. Not much to go wrong there. The quality was in the vision of said passes, being played at the right moment and exactly to the point. They weren't sure fire goals by any means, but gave both, Walcott and Giroud, a little opening, and they did great to convert. The finishes outshine the setup in both cases, which leads to underestimation of the really good work beforehand.

#TheUnemployedOne

I'd love to see player-manager John Terry, so that he can fail, get relegated and ultimately tarnish his legacy with the club.

This.

RIP Jimmy Hill

Very sad day, one of the most vital figures in the history of modern football. Jimmy's innovations to the game itself and to the way we watch it on TV have really affected the way football is today. His impact of Coventry City, and the city itself, is impossible to sum up in words, a truly remarkable man and one whose legacy will live on forever.

After hearing about Jimmy Hill's death, I thought of Sky Blue Sam knowing the team he supports. So many things Jimmy Hill did in football, his influence. R.I.P..

I quite agree the tactics aren't working and I've been extremely puzzled by some substitutions recently (bringing on younger players when more experience players were on the bench), but I really don't think getting rid of LVG is the answer. A month ago we loved him. I've heard some callers on sports radio saying how he's out of his league, the man has won the league with every club he's managed and won the Champion's League. He deserves till at least the end of the season, I really don't understand the speculation at the moment. Jose or anyone else would be a parallel not an improvement. 

The social media meltdown yesterday was unreal. Every single one of those 'in the know' accounts claimed they were having a meeting and Van Gaal would be gone in hours. So much so that most united fans were talking about Van Gaal in the past tense.

Also, clamouring for Chelsea's just-sacked manager to take over screams bush league.

Then today, he walks out of a press conference. It's all clearly getting to him.