DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Winter 2016

Dolfan in NYC

Ranieri getting one over Mourinho makes this extra sweet after all the shit Jose slung at Ranieri when he took over at Chelsea the first time.

Chelsea one point above the drop zone. Between Klopp in, Leicester crushing it, and Chelsea in a relegation battle, this is the most fun I've gotten out of a premier league season. 08/09 and 13/14 had superb highs but soul crushing lows. 

They're getting Guus in to finish out the season, apparently. Funny that they fire Jose the very day Pep says he's leaving Munchen though. They rushed to create a vacancy right away, without even bothering to read the 'at the end of the season' part of the Guardiola story.

I don't think that the United fans will accept him, coming after the angst over LVG's tactical approach.  If this was right after Fergie or Moyes, there would be no problem.  Now that they are back to being a top 4 team, it's more about how they play.  That might go out the window if they keep slipping and finish out of the top 4.

Guardiola to Manchester United and Simeone to Chelsea would be two good moves. I'd love to see what Simeone can do with a team like Chelsea. Somehow I doubt it'd be as successful as Atletico, but still.

But Guud Hiddink as the troubleshooter? ... Sure, why not? He managed to not get The Netherlands into the EC. That's impressive. Experienced abject failure like that will nicely slot into Chelsea's recent form.

• Like 1

Leicester has by far played the best football in the league this season. I hope they keep it up. I do find it funny that it was Vardy setting up a Japanese for the third.

United lose at home to Norwich. People can blame Ferguson for leaving them in a bad state but when you're the richest club in world football, rebuilding a squad shouldn't take this long. Palace has equaled United on points today.

The Football Ramble host said he heard Hazard would never work hard for Mourinho again. Sunderland are shit but so were a lot of sides that beat Chelsea this year.

I read a really good article a couple months back on how United's youth system has (according to the whispers of the people that know these things) been lapped by a couple of the other big English clubs and that one of their big issues is top prospects seeing them as a second choice now. But even then with the kind of money they can spend that shouldn't matter. I mean, Barcelona has a good youth system too, and it generally means you'll play for a club that isn't Barcelona in the end because they can also go out and buy great players they want.

City and Chelsea have invested so much in their youth teams. City in particular are going to be scary good. New training centre and the best u18 players outside of La Masia. That also means they won't have to buy middling English senior players like Delph and Rodwell.

But, as you say, it really shouldn't matter. United need more players in the 24-28 age bracket. They can afford to buy the best finished products.