DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Yeah but Vince also runs a corporation that I assume employs people of diverse backgrounds. People forget that the on-screen portion of WWE, while important, is but a portion of WWE's business. Wrestling has always had racist and xenophobic gimmicks, that's one aspect of wrestling that Vince sadly retained for a while.

And well, I see all of that and raise you Vince bringing in Jack Swagger and Zeb Coulter as heels. 

Vince is only a Republican because he's an old, rich, white guy. Any racism or xenophobia inherent in the company is because he's a wrestling promoter, and wrestling has generally been racist and xenophobic for decades. Vince's majordomo for years was a gay man, so he's definitely got some liberal views as well.

If we really want to follow Vince's politics:

http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2009/09/wwe-chief-executive-linda-mcma/

The power couple’s top recipient? The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, to which Linda donated $15,000 between 2006 and 2007.

The McMahons have also given $13,300 to Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) and his leadership PAC since 2006.

The Republican Party of Connecticut ranks as the couple’s third highest beneficiary. The party has received $13,000 in contributions from the McMahons since 1992, of all which have been under Linda’s name.

The fourth highest: The Republican Leadership Council PAC

There's also this:

Next up? Rahm Emanuel, the former senior adviser to President Bill Clinton, former DCCC chair and former Illinois Congressman who is now President Barack Obama’s chief of staff. Since 2002, Linda has given Emanuel and his leadership PAC $7,800.

They also gave money to Rick Santorum's Senate campaigns but he used to actually work as a lawyer for the WWF so that's not surprising. It's somewhat humanizing that Vince would give money to his former lawyer's political campaign. 

I don't see Vince has a political zealot. Aside from Linda's Senate runs, I see him as a largely apolitical rich guy who probably has socially liberal views but is a fiscal conservative much like most New England rich people. 

• Like 1

The above article is out of date obviously. Vince himself donates rarely but Linda has given money (in this cycle) to Jeb Bush's Super PAC and Carly Fiorina. Surprisingly they do not seem to be supporting (at least financially) Donald Trump. Pre-Senate run, as shown above, they gave money to candidates on both sides. After the Senate run, it's been straight giving money to GOP establishment candidates and to state party committees. 

I am very bored, okay? 

This is all fascinating and super interesting, and proof as to why we need a political subforum again and that political talk (done the correct, civil way) can actually work.

Also, Jason Jordan is for sure a future World Champion.

Its always been an awkward point that Vince has never had a black WWE Champion.

The Rock is more Samoan than black and the World title runs given to Mark Henry and Booker T came in the "Double Title" era when the World Title was basically the IC title.

They could still salvage Big E, Jason Jordan has potential and Apollo Crews should get there one day. Maybe...

Oh, give me a fucking break.  Literally 12 people probably pull that "Rock isn't black on a technicality" bullshit and actually believe it.  And Mark Henry and Booker T's title reigns were so awesome, I literally couldn't tell you who had the other belt when they were champs (Cena?  Orton?.)  Both of them took what they had and not only did they fucking run with it, the bookers ran with it too.  You act like when they were "given" it (which, wait, what?), that they were then treated like they were Rey Mysterio.   Mark Henry murdered everybody and King Booker was far and away the champion I actually remember.

Sorry.  Done. 

• Like 7

The above article is out of date obviously. Vince himself donates rarely but Linda has given money (in this cycle) to Jeb Bush's Super PAC and Carly Fiorina. Surprisingly they do not seem to be supporting (at least financially) Donald Trump. Pre-Senate run, as shown above, they gave money to candidates on both sides. After the Senate run, it's been straight giving money to GOP establishment candidates and to state party committees. 

I am very bored, okay? 

I hate doing it as one of the other New Englander sports fans here, and I feel dirty, but better we beat them to it:

Of course the guy with a Tom Brady avatar would find ways to hide Vince McMahon's friendship with Donald Trump as not guaranteeing he's voting for him.  ;)

• Like 1

Its always been an awkward point that Vince has never had a black WWE Champion.

The Rock is more Samoan than black and the World title runs given to Mark Henry and Booker T came in the "Double Title" era when the World Title was basically the IC title.

They could still salvage Big E, Jason Jordan has potential and Apollo Crews should get there one day. Maybe...

Hi Bill Watts

• Like 1

This is all fascinating and super interesting, and proof as to why we need a political subforum again and that political talk (done the correct, civil way) can actually work.

No. I like this board specifically because it doesn't suffer this horseshit lightly. Let's not allow it to devolve into the comment sections on The Atlantic.

Do you ever wonder if Trips and Steph keep a running list of people they will fire when they get control of the company? If so, do you think it includes all of the writing team, or just most of it?

Do you mean the writing team system that Stephanie implemented as Head of Creative?

Do you ever wonder if Trips and Steph keep a running list of people they will fire when they get control of the company? If so, do you think it includes all of the writing team, or just most of it?

Do you mean the writing team system that Stephanie implemented as Head of Creative?

How many current writers are still there from the time she was in charge? Aren't most of them wearing out their podcast welcomes telling the same stories over and over?

How many current writers are still there from the time she was in charge? Aren't most of them wearing out their podcast welcomes telling the same stories over and over?

Probably very few of them but it's basically still the same creative process. Maybe Hunter is anti-writing team but I doubt the concept of "hollywood writers" would be on Stephanie's hitlist.

Probably very few of them but it's basically still the same creative process. Maybe Hunter is anti-writing team but I doubt the concept of "hollywood writers" would be on Stephanie's hitlist.

In addition to that, just the fact it's been said that the NXT writing team has flipflopped a few times between NXT and Smackdown, with no noticable change to the quality of Smackdown and marginal changes to NXT's quality, it's not even that obvious that the "Hollywood writers" would be the problem. Heck, with these issues, it might be more plausible to say "There could very well be some Hollywood writer who's ideas make Heyman and Cornette look like amateurs, but his ideas never get past Vince McMahon's rebooking" than "the Hollywood writers killed the show."

I think you have missed my point entirely.

Firstly, Yes The Rock is half black. We are all aware of that. However he represents himself much more with pacific island culture than black culture. Go through his social media and look at all the times he busts out a grass skirt or talks about his Samoan background and tattoo.

Secondly; I never said that Booker and Henry got treated like Mysterio. I said that they had World title runs at a time when that belt was seemingly held in a lesser light that the WWE Title. Would either of them have been a champion if there was only one 'WWE World Title' as it is today?

I dont believe Vince is walking around backstage ranting like Hulk Hogan or Donald Trump. Im just saying that there has never been a black WWE champion and, given the demographics of the US, that feels like an odd thing to have never had.

Your point, which everyone understands clearly, is "The Rock doesn't count as a black champion because he's not constantly talking about how he's half black." Your point is shit, and you should shut up.

• Like 1