DVDVR Message Board

[SPOILERS] NXT 11/19/2015 Tapings (Airs 12/2/15)

RIPPA

My wife is the same way; isn't a fan, but will casually watch NXT when I have it on. She thinks that Bayley has no chance against Nia Jax (nor any other of the ladies on the roster - except Asuka, maybe). 

My wife is the same way; isn't a fan, but will casually watch NXT when I have it on. She thinks that Bayley has no chance against Nia Jax (nor any other of the ladies on the roster - except Asuka, maybe). 

Ooooh I hadn't even considered the prospect of a Asuka/Nia Jax match. That could be really interesting.

Tye Dillinger sucks. Guy is performing in a quasi-jobber role trying to get his shit in and it's dumb. As for why people like him, I'm sure it's less that and more of what Kevin Owens said about the Full Sail crowd. They're largely a bunch of dopes who just make this shit cringeworthy at times. Even worse are the kids in the crowd, and most of their parents, who are the best part of the Full Sail crowd. They're all awesome, but they have these other idiots influencing them to the point where they'll grow up to be a bunch of mutants who will try to start chants and high five each other for the fine work they did.

• Like 1

Full Sail/NXT crowds in general have their apparent flaws, but workers who are good and compelling enough can cut through their chanting and get them to buy into the match. 

Occasionally, as well, their chanting actually greatly augments a match. Jordan/Gable vs. Rhyno/Corbin is VASTLY helped by not only the crowd heat in general, but the enthusiastic chanting specifically. 

I dislike Dillinger's whole thing, but I think we're letting him distract from the real shittiest jobber last night: Blue Pants.

She starts the match by winning two counter sequenes against Jax, and both times her big payoff is...doing her goofy taunts? Doesn't go for an offensive move and then taunts. Just taunts. ARE YOU FUCKING RETARDED? Seriously, is that your character? Or is it that your some kind of weirdo cosplaying massochist? Why else are you even in the match if you're not going to try to win?

• Like 1

Yeah. I mean, does anyone ever complain about the Mulkeys being mega-over in some shithole North Carolina gym? No? Then why is "Full Sail loves Tye Dillinger too much" an actual thing here? There have always been jobbers that have been mega-over in certain towns/in front of certain crowds.

Not that I'm comparing Tye Dillinger to the Mulkeys beyond the above statement, however.

Can't get enough of...

... Emma's viscous beat-downs on jobbers.

... Gable chaining together seemingly random shit and making it look believable.

... Jax being a monster.

... Samoa and Ciampa stiffing the shiat out of each other.

Dillinger is basically what Big E was when he was in NXT with the "5" gimmick. The crowd just likes chanting numbers like the main roster crowd likes chanting "yes". I'm not a big fan of Tye but he's been around for so long that the crowd likes him. Plus he hangs around after shows like Lance Hoyt did with most of this crowd when they were in the Impact zone. Even at the same Ale House.

The "over jobber" is a role that's always in demand for WWE. Truth, Ryder, Santino, Scotty 2 Hotty, Funaki, and Brooklyn Brawler... Just off the top of my head.

There's way more value in Dillinger being an over jobber than a heatless midcarder.

So in my watching old wrestling for my chronological project..

It's actually pretty awesome when the crowd is fucking molten FOR THE WHOLE DAMN SHOW.  Meaning that yes, openers and jobbers are over enough to get crowd heat the whole time.  It makes the show's atmosphere a damn sight better than today's "sitting on their hands until the main event" crowds.  

So that NXT is has lower card guys getting over, it makes for good crowds, which makes the whole match experience better.  But yes, by all means, let's use over undercarders as an excuse to shit on NXT crowds for not being ECW Arena Smark crowds and cheering good wrestlers and shit on not good wresters.  Holy shit, I was in that ECW crowd and we cheered undercard jobbers, and it added to the show (Hack Myers anyone?)

The full sail crowd can fluctuate so rapidly between a flaw and strength.  It's actually a fairly interesting thing.  Has one specific crowd ever had such a large impact on WWE booking? 

My point about Dillinger, which I think was lost in my hate, is that his crowd reactions are superficial.  They are also substantial enough that they just might push him. Over jobber?  That's fine.  Going over the next wave of talent on his way up the card?  Yuck.  

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not sure how much NXT Vince even watches.  The impact on the company is there all the same.  More and more often guys are coming up with the same gimmick they had in NXT.  Those gimmicks were pretty much refined in front of a single crowd.  It really is sort of strange.

The problem is the transistion from NXT to main roster.  Instead of getting a bit of a reintroduction, they're called up assuming that you've been watching NXT and are familar with the gimmicks and body of work, when not everyone with a Network sub watches NXT.

• Like 2