DVDVR Message Board

What if Chris Jericho bought WCW?

Web Conn

Just hear me out, On The Rise and Fall of WCW Chris Jericho mentions that for the 7 million the WWE bought WCW that he could have afforded to buy WCW. Let just say that there is an alternate universe where Chris Jericho not Vince and the WWE had bought WCW. What does he do? Who does he appoint head booker? Who is pushed in the main event scene? which wrestlers does he bring in? What wrestlers from ECW come in once ECW folds? does the cruiserweight division see an influx of new talent and a prominent role on the programming.

And just because both will be brought up lets just say that Jericho as well as buying WCW buys himself out of his WWE contract and signs himself as a performer in WCW. Also just to make it interesting the only television deal he has is the one hour syndicated WorldWide television program and the monthly PPV's. And once Eddie cleans up he signs with Jerichos WCW and not resign with the WWE in April 2002.

When all the work gets to be too much, Jericho hires Lenny Lane to play Chris Jericho on TV.

Seriously, he'd probably feel out all his various Canadian, Mexican and Japanese contacts and favour a hard-hitting, high-flying internationally-themed style...and be out of business pretty quick.

WCW was worthless without the time slots. That's why it got sold for so cheap. I mean, shit...Fusient's initial offer was 70  million. They dropped that in half when they discovered how worthless the company was. Now, obviously the WWE has probably made back their money 10 fold on the tape library but that wouldn't have helped anyone else. 

To fantasy book...if Jericho (or anyone else buy its) it staggers around with a reduced payroll and touring schedule, and finds a money mark in the next few years who funds it. While producing great wrestling, due to providing a different style and allowing for undersized guys to prosper, the new WCW undergoes a series of creative changes that make it impossible to gain momentrum while at times producing legendarily non-sensical programming. Guys like Eddy Guerrero do jump over before finding out that wrestling for the new WCW is not as financially or creatively rewarding as their time in WWE. Eventually they get sick of wrestling in the new WCW because fans in airports assume they've retired.  

Yadda yadda yadda...

Tito Ortiz eventually debuts in WCW.

Why couldn't Jericho get a TNA-like deal from Spike or someone else?

I suspect we'd see some fundamentalist Christian-influences, and Sting and Ted DiBiase having prominent roles.

I think Jericho would go old school, but with flying dudes.  I could see it doing slightly better than TNA.

WCW was worthless without the time slots. That's why it got sold for so cheap. I mean, shit...Fusient's initial offer was 70  million. They dropped that in half when they discovered how worthless the company was. Now, obviously the WWE has probably made back their money 10 fold on the tape library but that wouldn't have helped anyone else.

Yeah. Here's a quote from a Multichannel News article by Steve Donohue on 8/13/2001, "WWF Pinned WCW Deal on the Cheap"

Regarding the alleged $75M offer:

How did WCW's value fall from a reported $75 million offer to $4.3 million? The $75 million was a bogus number leaked by Turner executives "to save face," a source familiar with the deal said.

In reality, the source said, Fusient's original WCW offer in January was for $10 million, which included a guarantee that it would be allotted 5 percent of the primetime schedule on Turner Network Television and TBS Superstation for WCW programming.

Fusient agreed to pay up to an additional $65 million in seven years if WCW hit certain benchmarks, including increasing the value of the business to $1 billion, the source added.

Fusient later pulled its offer after it reviewed WCW's books, and made a second offer for WCW, which included no up-front money and an agreement to spend $5 million in advertising on properties owned by AOL Time Warner Inc. (Turner's parent company), a source said. Turner ended up taking WWF's offer.

So, essentially, they offered about $10M with the guarantee they get primetime programming TV slot and the other $60M was essentially a pipedream valuation that wasn't going to happen (or at least, I cannot conceive how it could have happened unless something like a new Fusient-led WCW had managed to buy UFC from Zuffa in 2002).

He'd turn around and sell it to WWE for $9-10M and pocket the profit. WCW had no value to anyone who didn't have the ability to get hours a week of wrestling on television. Jericho's point was just that it was let go too cheaply because Vince was the only buyer.

It would have had to happen a little earlier than it actually did, but maybe Jericho convinces Heyman to be his booker.

But yeah, I have no idea who would actually head the day-to-day operations of the company.

I'm kinda skeptical that Jericho had $7 million to burn like that in 2001. He wasn't a main eventer yet and I doubt WCW was paying him that much. Heck, he didn't even have Fozzy yet. He's gonna need a business partner in this scenario...

That was my same thought.  What was he making in WCW?  I could see him making around 200-250K, because Bischoff would overpay everyone and Jericho was a hot commodity at the time, and I think he was on his second contract and had gotten a nice raise.......and I feel like Jericho has said that took a paycut going to WWF because he knew the opportunity to make more money was there.

But he'd been in the business for a decade.......the idea that he had banked 7mil+ by that time seems far fetched.  Even if he was cheap as hell on the road and good with investing......that seems like a lot of money for a guy who was working Canadian indys, AAA, secondary Japanese promotions, ECW and a few years with WCW.

In this what if scenario where Jericho buys WCW......he gives huge pushes to himself, Lance Storm and Rey Mysterio......DDP and Booker stick around and take paycuts because they want to keep working.......Nash, Luger, Hogan etc. get paid by Turner and Jericho doesn't use them.......Bret Hart gets the Pat Patterson spot in creative......Eddie jumps after he fails a drug test in WWE.....Konnan gets a big push and is probably tapped for creative.....Mexican talent gets used......young talent like Helms, Noble and AJ Styles get big pushes.......it would be like a bizarro version of TNA and some of the talent that jumped to WWE

This sounds like an absurd EWR scenario. I've greatly enjoyed Jericho but nothing I've seen has indicated he's capable of booking or running a promotion. If they had TV it might've kept WCW afloat a little longer but the end result is still the same, all this does is delay TNA starting up.

• Like 1