DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY (Series 2) - EDDIE GUERRERO

RIPPA

To answer the initial question... Yes.

I've told the story many times on here about going to a ppv in Detroit just to see Eddy, considering getting tickets to RAW in Grand Rapids the next night, passing on it, they turning on the show to see Eddy challenge The Rock. Fucking hell I'll never get over it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2h2mkn_wwe-raw-2002-eddie-guerrero-vs-rvd-ladder-match-espanol-latino-by-raymond_sport

Maybe the best one-man performance I've ever seen. Between RVD having the most RVDeey match ever and the fan running in, no one would've faulted Eddie if he said "fuck it, I'm punching out for the night." Instead he went "fuck it, I'm saving this match even if it kills me. And good Christ was he killing himself in this to keep things together.

One of the biggest regrets of my entire life is always gonna be Smackdown coming to Champaign and me not going. Mere days later, Eddy was dead. It might've even been his last time on air. I wanted to go just to see him, really...

Smackdown was taped at the Conseco Fieldhouse the week Eddy died.  I know because I went to Raw in Ft. Wayne, then followed them down to Indy the next day, and hung out, picking up some freelance work along the way.

ETA: Looking up the event to fact check, I just found out it was his last match.  I always assumed he did a house show on Saturday.  Finding that out has transformed me into an emotional wreck. :(

My Eddy memory is a random side thing, but it was still cool.

I was at a Smackdown taping in St. Louis in 2004 and they were recording stuff for Velocity.  Before the last match they did, I could hear a definite buzz from the fans in attendance and I wasn't sure why at first.  As it turned out, the fans near the entranceway saw that they were prepping the lowrider for Eddy's entrance...he got one of the biggest reactions of the night.  The match itself(vs. Danny Basham) was standard fare, but it was just really cool to see Eddy at that level of popularity.

Listening to the Jericho podcast today with Chavito and Malenko. They sort of discuss Eddie being the best of all time and I think you can make a legitimate case of him being the best of the modern era. He was great as a heel and a babyface. Completely different in each role he was in, changed everything to get over as a face or be the most hated man in America as a heel. Eddie was probably the only wrestler where I'm 100% certain every night someone would've stormed the ring and tried to beat him up if they didn't see the previous attempts fail miserably. Eddie, I believe, had the most fan run-ins in the WWE. To get that type of heat in the 2000s of WWE Inc. is insane. Eddie was the only one who could make you forget about everything you knew about wrestling and have you believe everything Eddie was doing was real and he was the most evil motherfucker to ever walk into a wrestling ring. So yes, Eddie Guerrero is the best of the modern era and I believe wrestling has not recovered from his loss.

Chavo: ....and so when I was an infant and Eddie was 3, he wrapped a phone cord around my neck. And grandma walked in and screamed to Eddie, "What are you doing?!"

Dean [interrupting Chavo] "..Getting heat"

• Like 1

My favorite Eddie promo was on RAW setting up his match with TheRock. Eddie btterly tells a story of going in to his daughter's room and seeing nothing but posters of The Rock everywhere and declaring him to be her favorite wrestler. Eddie then tells how he tore down the posters, disgusted that his own flesh and blood would betray him in a such a manner.

It was really kind of brilliant

James

My favorite Eddie promo was on RAW setting up his match with TheRock. Eddie btterly tells a story of going in to his daughter's room and seeing nothing but posters of The Rock everywhere and declaring him to be her favorite wrestler. Eddie then tells how he tore down the posters, disgusted that his own flesh and blood would betray him in a such a manner.

It was really kind of brilliant

James

Yeah, that's the show I passed on going to.

I'm late to the party but I just want to say that I loved Eddie's work, and I still miss him being around. When I was around 9 years old, I loved all the WCW heels EXCEPT Eddie because he was just so damn good at his job.

I was there live for one of the "Eddie's Bedtime Stories" promos when he had the feud with Rey Jr over being Domenic's papi, and it was just so awesome and over the top, especially when he brought out his lawyer. He had a line about going home to his three daughters and telling them the truth about Domenic because "God knows I never lie" that was great. I just watched it on YouTube, and I swear I can pick my ex girlfriend's cackling out of the crowd

Eddie Guerrero is my favorite wrestler.

I got to see him two times, once on a smackdown taping during early 2003 he wrestled a throw away match against I want to say Shannon Moore but was fun and I got to see him hit the frog splash and it was pretty cool. The next time was a house show the Saturday after the Judgement Day match against JBL they main evented the event and it was less than ten minutes and mostly brawling around the ring because you could tell Eddie was still recovering from the blood loss but being 4 rows away when he was on the top rope with the belt before the match was wondeful and getting to see him as champ in person made up for all the terribleness that was on that house show. Eddie never dissapointed he always made things work. Missing out on a feud with Austin (when he took his ball home) and never seeing a program with the Rock is a shame.