DVDVR Message Board

NBA 2015-16 - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

Not drawing up that final play for LeBron and the whole timeout thing. I know those are two very micro things but sorta show this dude really had some things to get together.

He could be a good coach with a young team. But the Cavs are not that team.

Anyone else think Blatt was a pretty crummy coach?

"Completely in over his head" would be probably more accurate

I 100% believe LeBron tried to have Spoelstra fired in year 1 but was blocked by Wade & Riley.  

Not saying that the King had Blatt fired, though I wouldn't be surprised.  But that quote of him or Love being gone is telling. 

And Spo wound up being a pretty good coach. Pace and space, and that frantic trapping defense they ran during the two title years (and age and depth forced them to dial it back the last year) were both really great coaching moves and schemes.

Not saying Blatt would have ever done the same thing, but Cleveland never really even ran his offense with any consistency. He was brought in because of the East the NBA was trending towards Euro style basketball, but it never took with Lebron and co.

I think moving on after this season made sense if they didn't win the title. But right now? Wow.

Not drawing up that final play for LeBron and the whole timeout thing. I know those are two very micro things but sorta show this dude really had some things to get together.

He could be a good coach with a young team. But the Cavs are not that team.

I sort of agree, but he was improving. I hate you for reminding me of that timeout situation though. If that is called Bulls are up 3-1!

Wasn't he hired with the rebuild in mind anyway?  He was hire pre-Lebron and Love.  Honestly, he would have fare much better in that rebuilding role.  Much easier to get your team on board when you don't have the biggest star in the league going out of his way to make you look like a chump.  I'd love to see him set up shop in like Minnesota or Phoenix and see what he can do.

Wasn't he hired with the rebuild in mind anyway?  He was hire pre-Lebron and Love.  Honestly, he would have fare much better in that rebuilding role.  Much easier to get your team on board when you don't have the biggest star in the league going out of his way to make you look like a chump.  I'd love to see him set up shop in like Minnesota or Phoenix and see what he can do.

Blatt hired June 24th Lebron signed July 11th

And Spo wound up being a pretty good coach. Pace and space, and that frantic trapping defense they ran during the two title years (and age and depth forced them to dial it back the last year) were both really great coaching moves and schemes.

Not saying Blatt would have ever done the same thing, but Cleveland never really even ran his offense with any consistency. He was brought in because of the East the NBA was trending towards Euro style basketball, but it never took with Lebron and co.

I think moving on after this season made sense if they didn't win the title. But right now? Wow.

Spo has spent nearly his entire career working in the NBA, as well as having a former NBA executive for a father.  Obviously, having Pat Riley as a mentor helps. Spo completely understands the NBA.  Blatt may understand basketball, but not the machinations of the sport's biggest outlet or how to deal with a star so huge that he's basically his own galaxy. 

That Blatt had brain freezes in crunch situations just made things worse.

Can't say what LeBron did or didn't do in Blatt being shown the door, but the guy didn't do himself any favors along the way.  I think he could have turned into a good coach had he worked as an assistant for a couple of seasons before getting a HC job.  He needed seasoning to learn the landscape, and heading the Cavs as his first NBA gig was not the best way to get that.

Probably true.

My point is just that reactionary moves in season when you are a serious title contender are odd. I mean, sir, it worked a time or two when Pat Riley was the replacement coach, but it seems like, at 30-11, you see how the year plays out, unless you think LeBron might actually opt out in order to leave and not just get more money.

I know the smart money is on LeBron wanting Blatt gone, and that likely is true.  But what if goes beyond that?  What 'beyond that' would be--I don't know, as I haven't followed the story enough to even have a theory.

But something must have been really bad for this to happen right now, more than just the typical 'he lost the locker room' tripe we usually get. I know they want to keep LeBron happy, but it doesn't feel like that's what instigated this. 

I don't know.  It all seems weird.

Tough loss to OKC tonight.  Big comeback in the 4th, but Dirk and CP missed good looks to tie it.  SALAH MEJRI again was beast against OKC.  I love how D-Will is our go-to guy in the clutch if Dirk isn't hitting.  He is proving everyone wrong this year.

I figured he would be gone after reading about him calling James into his office while naked. Made it 2 weeks after that happened.

If that's true, who can blame Cleveland for showing him the door after telling him to put on some pants?

I would have fired him that night.
  • Like 1

"Completely in over his head" would be probably more accurate

I 100% believe LeBron tried to have Spoelstra fired in year 1 but was blocked by Wade & Riley.  

You might be able to sell me on the Riley part, but not the Wade. 

As for the obvious "Lebron told the Cav to fired Blatt" story, I doubt it went down that way.  More likely: Cavs management ask Lebron(and probably Kyrie) about how he would feel about a coaching change, and he gives a "Yall do what yall have to do" type of answer instead of putting his neck out for Blatt.

Blatt should still get to coach the Eastern Conference All-Star team for extreme awkwardness. 

Here is the thing about Blatt, his highlight and lowlight came in a 2 week span during the playoffs last year.  Gregg mentioned the lowlight, the timeout that should have been a T followed directly by drawing up a play where Lebron was inbounding in a situation where you JUST CAN'T DO THAT.  On the other hand, he took 2 games off what could very well turn out to be a dynastic Warriors team with Delly, JR and Thompson playing 40 minutes.  That's an amazing accomplishment that he probably didn't get enough credit for at the time.

The firing is hard to comprehend considering where they are in the conference and that they legit just beat a top 5 team in the league 24 hours earlier.  Blatt did screw up against GSW this year, though.  He tried the same defensive scheme he used in the finals last year, which managed to work fairly well with TT playing 40 minutes, but Love and co really aren't capable of defending in that style.  I'd bet it was a wrinkle he would have figured out by June.

Steve Kerr and the Warriors organization thought very highly of him.

So does the smartest basketball mind on Twitter, @haralabob, who puts 7 figures where his mouth is on a daily basis.  He considered Blatt a top 5 coach.  Sam Smith also thought highly of him and I will always respect the opinion of that old snarky bastard.

ZEFXoEn2_bigger.png

Blatts fate apparently sealed when Bulls only lost to Warriors by 31