DVDVR Message Board

Raw 10/26/15

Dolfan in NYC

Ambrose costing Roman the title because he doesn't want to be the last Shield guy to become world champ is a story I could get behind.

The Macho Man heel turn on Hogan is a timeless angle.  Secret resentment becomes surface betrayal.

• Like 1

What's so wrong about the least experienced guy in the match eating a pinfall? 

Technically Reigns was the least experienced guy since he didn't start until 2010

Owens started in 2000 - same year as Del Rio

Ziggler in 2004

Unless of course - you are talking "WWE experience" - but if you are, that is a silly reason for a guy to lose

What's so wrong about the least experienced guy in the match eating a pinfall? 

Technically Reigns was the least experienced guy since he didn't start until 2010

Owens started in 2000 - same year as Del Rio

Ziggler in 2004

Unless of course - you are talking "WWE experience" - but if you are, that is a silly reason for a guy to lose

I also wasn't commentating on Owens taking the pinfall, but merely pointing it out. I'm not surprised by Gregg's response.

That main event (that Vince booked) was so awesome. The closing moments of it between KO and Roman was a glimpse of a kick ass future that will surely be derailed by Vince's insanity that resembles the 1985 ruled by Biff Tannen.

Geez this show Vince has been booking for decades is so awesome, thank God Vince doesn't book it or else he'd ruin it.

Can someone decode this for me?

The main event was awesome because Vince is a genius, but if a show sucks it must be because Vince is INSANE!  Which is it?

I'll just quote Rippa from the other day: "Yup - because it has to be one or the other."

I just felt your original statement was conflicting.  To me it read as I paraphrased it, like praising Vince's booking of Reigns in one sentence, only to turn around and fear for his sanity the very next.

• Like 1

Isn't our usual circle of insanity everytime a good RAW happens is to praise it, then wait for Vince's insanity to change direction quickly back to two months of drizzling shit the next week?

Yeah, we are all pretty much trapped in a vicious circle at this point.  ;)

But I just thought Vince has been the main man booking Reigns since before the Rumble last year, so any praise or hate for Roman should mostly reflect on Vince's booking of him.

They've been good at laying out matches where Roman gets to do a bunch of impressive stuff all along. Nobody on the roster short of Lesnar gets as much help in that regard as Reigns does.

It's pretty much everything in between where it gets sketchy.

I can't help you if you choose to place your own interpretation or inference on things. By the text you added to the quote above, "(that Vince booked)", you have it in mind that Vince booked the match, which we don't know. Not only that, but what you "paraphrased" still doesn't paraphrase what I said. You're seeing a comment on who booked the match and the quality of a show, when I spoke to one particular moment in the match and how, using past experience as a predictor, we're not likely to see an awesome program like that because of how Vince meddles or forces rewrites or has a preference for a certain look. That isn't a comment on the quality of an entire show...

I think even though Owens took the pinfall there's hope he'll learn from his mistake. He attacked Reigns and quickly went for the his Pop-Up Powerbomb too quickly. Reigns was already rested. Owens needed to beat down Reigns more but was too cocky and ended up looking at the lights.

Ambrose costing Roman the title because he doesn't want to be the last Shield guy to become world champ is a story I could get behind.

The Macho Man heel turn on Hogan is a timeless angle.  Secret resentment becomes surface betrayal.

While I prefer Reigns/Ambrose to remain friends, playing the resentment makes for a compelling story.  Resentment of Reigns winning the championship.  Resentment over not being the one to finally take down Rollins.  Resentment for becoming the Robin to Reigns' Batman.  Resentment for disappointing himself in all this.

Ambrose doesn't even have to cost Reigns the title.  Just have him beat down Reigns during the celebration, cut a promo on the following Raw, and book Ambrose to win the Royal Rumble while Rollins holds an automatic rematch. Boom--instant 3-way Shield main event for WM.

It flies against the rumors of Ambrose being pushed as a babyface in absence of Cena and Orton, though.  Either way, there's a lot of potential story for him if the writers do it.

If the Wyatts kidnapped Taker and Kane, how would they be facing them at Survivor Series? What about Bray managing Harper/Rowan/Strowman/Taker/Kane vs 5 faces?? Let's say Ryback/Henry/Ziggler/Dudleys to start a the new, more evil Wyatt family Path of Destruction.

I think it boils down to this... The WWE is in the same place as a company as Adam Sandler is as an actor. They're profitable enough to be comfortable with the amount of money they make so there's no real motivation to fix the glaring problems that exist.

• Like 3

We've barely touched on Wyatt's promo--which was really good.  He talked about his loss to Reigns, and how he needs to recharge before going after Reigns again.  He needs power, and Taker/Kane are the most supernatural elements in the WWE universe.  So he wants to feast on their souls so he can claim Reigns?  That's some creepy shit, and it 100% works.  Heck, have him steal some of the urn's contents while he's at it.  Go full-on wacko with it.

• Like 3

It would work if Wyatt could actually, ya know, feast on souls or anything.  Right now, the Wyatt family as a 0% conversion rate on anyone they've kidnapped, and Bray loses more than he wins.  So um, why should anyone be scared of him, let alone Taker, who needed the most dominating force in Wrestling History to put him down?  Taker destroyed Wyatt when Taker was less than 100% and Bray was at 100%.  

I know people want the Wyatt's to be the supernatural world killer final bosses act their promo's suggest.  But WWE would have to start booking them that way for most people to take them seriously when the Music stops and the lights come back on.

• Like 1

While I prefer Reigns/Ambrose to remain friends, playing the resentment makes for a compelling story.  Resentment of Reigns winning the championship.  Resentment over not being the one to finally take down Rollins.  Resentment for becoming the Robin to Reigns' Batman.  Resentment for disappointing himself in all this.

The beautiful thing is that it all starts off innocently enough.  How can you really blame Ambrose for feeling the way he does?  No one goes into the business wanting to be the US champ or a mid-card guy.  Everyone wants to be the World Champion and you are going to be competitive even with guys who are your friends.

Then it turns ugly when you think that your friend is going to beat you to the mountain top and you make a fateful decision to win at any cost.  Once your betrayal become evident, your course is set.  No going back.  Too late for regrets and your warrior's pride probably won't allow you to regret your decision anyway.

Shakespearian to a T.  Theater in the round?  THEATER IN THE SQUARED CIRCLE~!

• Like 3

The beautiful thing is that it all starts off innocently enough.  How can you really blame Ambrose for feeling the way he does?  No one goes into the business wanting to be the US champ or a mid-card guy.  Everyone wants to be the World Champion and you are going to be competitive even with guys who are your friends.

Then it turns ugly when you think that your friend is going to beat you to the mountain top and you make a fateful decision to win at any cost.  Once your betrayal become evident, your course is set.  No going back.  Too late for regrets and your warrior's pride probably won't allow you to regret your decision anyway.

Shakespearian to a T.  Theater in the round?  THEATER IN THE SQUARED CIRCLE~!

The thing is, they already did that with Rollins. It's possible they'd pull the trigger on it, but the catch is the how/why at this point.

I think it boils down to this... The WWE is in the same place as a company as Adam Sandler is as an actor. They're profitable enough to be comfortable with the amount of money they make so there's no real motivation to fix the glaring problems that exist.

Vince is in monopoly mode and it shows.  Makes enough money with the older guys and he sees no need to give the young guns a huge push because NXT is hot for the kewl kids.  So Vince just rotates the older wrestlers around the top giving one or two guys an occasional push.