DVDVR Message Board

2015 NFL - WEEK TWO

Dolfan in NYC

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/21/ndamukong-suh-freelancing-part-of-dolphins-problem/

So, apparently, Suh has been ignoring the defensive coordinators calls, that helps explain a little bit about the problems the Fins have been having.

My dad is a Dolphins fan so while seeing them going 0-2 is good for the Patriots but its sad to see them faltering, I'd like to see his team play competitive football during his retirement years. I will note that my dad has thought signing Suh was a huge mistake from day one.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/21/ndamukong-suh-freelancing-part-of-dolphins-problem/

So, apparently, Suh has been ignoring the defensive coordinators calls, that helps explain a little bit about the problems the Fins have been having.

My dad is a Dolphins fan so while seeing them going 0-2 is good for the Patriots but its sad to see them faltering, I'd like to see his team play competitive football during his retirement years. I will note that my dad has thought signing Suh was a huge mistake from day one.

They're 1-1. 

Stand up, turn right, go out of the room, and fuck yourself.

• Like 2

Ravens trade a 7th to Miami for CB Will Allen.   

PFT calls him Will Davis?

Will Allen is playing safety (badly) for the Steelers. I think a guy by that name also used to play corner for the Giants before retiring and starting a Ponzi Scheme.

Anyway, I was only commenting because after watching Miami give up chunks against Jacksonville, are they really that deep at corner they can just give them away? (Yes, I may be bitter about them knocking me out of Suicide this week...)

Why do the Browns actually wear orange and what's a Brown supposed to be besides the color?

They're named after Paul Brown.

The same Paul Brown who basically invented the Bengals out of spite (and whose name is on their stadium and whose family still owns the team) when Art Modell bought out his minority stake in -- and fired him as coach of -- the Browns.

The name actually has nothing to do with the color brown, although brown is incorporated into their uniform and I fully realize this offers no clue as to why their primary color is orange (well, it's traditional now, but why it started, no clue).

• Like 1

Ian Rapoport is reporting that Drew Brees fucked up his shoulder and will miss "several" games

That means that the Weeden-led Cowboys will get to play a Brees-less Saints team while Romo is out.  

Unless one of the teams signs a QB it means that a Sunday night matchup coming up soon will be Brandon Weeden vs. Luke McCown. Yikes, although it makes that recent Verizon ad eerily prophetic.

• Like 2

With the Skins cutting one of their worst draft choices (and that's saying a lot) in David Amerson, the following is a perfect example of why they've been such a shitty team:

The 51st overall pick of the 2013 draft, Amerson was Washington’s top selection because their first-round pick that season belonged to St. Louis as part of the 2012 Robert Griffin III trade.

However, rather than serve as a key cornerstone to the franchise as was hoped, he became yet another failed draft pick from that year.

Fellow draft classmates Phillip Thomas (fourth round) and Bacarri Rambo (sixth round), linebacker Brandon Jenkins (fifth round), and running back Jawan Jamison (seventh round) also failed to stick with the franchise. Only third-rounder Jordan Reed and running back Chris Thompson (fifth round) remain on the roster.

I know Tebow isn't liked around these parts but after watching Tomlin go for two 2 point conversions - which I think teams are gonna copy more and more like shifts in baseball - I really don't understand why someone doesn't sign him. Whatever you think of his skills as a QB, he's always been absolutely unstoppable in short yardage situations. I bet he'd convert on at least 2/3 of his attempts.

I think it's partly because teams would have to have him as the backup since third string QBs are emergency only (unless they changed that rule; correct me if I'm wrong).  I don't think teams want to dedicate a primary roster spot to the football equivalent of a LOOGY, especially if the team has a decent backup.

You could list him as a fullback, which would make any play he's in at QB a "wildcat" play.

True.  Again, though, it seems of a bit of a waste to have a player only for short yardage situations, especially when roster spots are so valuable.  You would need Tebow to possibly play on special teams too, for example.

You could list him as a fullback, which would make any play he's in at QB a "wildcat" play.

True.  Again, though, it seems of a bit of a waste to have a player only for short yardage situations, especially when roster spots are so valuable.  You would need Tebow to possibly play on special teams too, for example.

Yeah but I didn't say regular short yardage situations, I said 2 pointers. Is it that much of a waste to carry a guy who could very well score you 2-6 extra points per game? I mean teams carry two freakin' kickers just for kick offs or long distance vs short field goals.

I think it's partly because teams would have to have him as the backup since third string QBs are emergency only (unless they changed that rule; correct me if I'm wrong).  I don't think teams want to dedicate a primary roster spot to the football equivalent of a LOOGY, especially if the team has a decent backup.

That rule was changed. Not an issue any longer. I figured that is why we signed him. Tried that a couple times in the preseason and didn't go well.