DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Fall 2015

Pete

The Toronto-Metros match will be played tonight in front of the only 5,000 people in Toronto not watching the Jays game. We win tonight we clinch the east.

Anybody here ever been to a European football match?  I'm just wondering if it's worth going to the FC Barcelona match next Saturday (the 24th). Traveling with my parents and my wife, none of whom are football fans. I usually only watch Premier League because the Spanish league matches are usually a bit too late with the time difference but this will probably be my only chance to get the Euro football experience. Will the 39 Euro ( ie. cheapest seats possible) be okay? Will it take hours to get back to our apartment if we plan on using the metro? Any help or advice would be appreciated here.

Edit : Also read that the FC Barcelona fans aren't all that spirited compared to other clubs. Given that three of the four people would be attending for the atmosphere, would hate for everyone in the crowd to be sitting on their hands for most of the match.

Going to Camp Nou and seeing a Barca game sounds like one of the coolest things you could do.  I've never been to a European match, but have always wanted to as well, it's definitely on my bucket list. And if I had that sort of opportunity I wouldn't miss it for the world and all the ticket prices and metro fares couldn't stop me!

It's a magisterial adventure

I was going to say you should go, just so for the rest of your life you could tell people you'd seen Lionel Messi live in the flesh. But he's injured. So go, so you can see Luis Suarez live in the flesh. Then tweet FSW and taunt him about it.

Big win vs the Toffees today. Martial doing the tightrope walk on the endline a few times was spectacular, he was real fun to watch today.

In another note a friend who went to London brought me back a program from Chelsea and Palace matches he went to. The quality of them puts the ones they sell/give away here to shame. And they both cost three quid which is roughly $4.50 so they actually cost less than the inferior US ones.

With today's TFC defeat Metro effectively locks up the east (DC would have to make up a 14 goal differential to catch us. Yeah, ain't happening). We now qualify for 2016 CCL.

I'm up at 5:30 AM, unable to get back to sleep because I'm excited for a 7AM Liverpool kickoff.

Optimism is a cool thing.

Yeah......it's still hard to know what to take out of that match. There are positives there if you want to look for them, and a point at White Hart Lane is a point worth having. Although the 6 pointers are important, consistent wins at home and stealing wins away at lower teams is what's going to get you 75 points. Getting tanked by Man City, if it happens, is of little consequence.

Personally I thought it was a big improvement of a performance by Liverpool. They defended a bit better and seem to be more committed to winning the ball back after losing it. I think the team is still sorely lacking in some areas and they lack a real playmaker who can orchestrate stuff and injuries haven't helped matters either. Once Jurgen Klopp has a full side to choose from and manages to get some new players in in January then I think Liverpool will finish at least top 6. His pre-match interview on BT Sports was also unintentionally hilarious when they were asking him his plans for the future and he was like "I only prepared for this game!". The Rubin-Liverpool game should be fun to watch and I see Liverpool winning comfortably there. Hummels has tipped Klopp to eventually with the Reds the title so I wonder if he'll factor into the equation down the road, similar to Brendan Rodgers bringing in Joe Allen.