DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION!

DEAN

I understand why they didn't keep him out. In a perfect world yeah let him defend the title at an ROH show or at least appear at a couple more indy events but they needed a main event match for SummerSlam so that was never going to happen. 

His reign was pretty bad.  Cena defeating Rey Mysterio on RAW (after Rey won the shit) was even worse.  There's no defending the booking but the booking has been pretty shitty for years. Cena deals with it all the time.  Cena hasn't been going on last either.  I just don't get how CM Punk was "ruined"

Ruined? No. But he was never the same. There's only so many times you can book a guy like that before people start losing interest.

The excitement over Punk was that he was going to be someone bigger than Cena but it didn't take long before it became clear that he was going to be slotted below Cena no matter what.

I understand why they didn't keep him out. In a perfect world yeah let him defend the title at an ROH show or at least appear at a couple more indy events but they needed a main event match for SummerSlam so that was never going to happen. 

His reign was pretty bad.  Cena defeating Rey Mysterio on RAW (after Rey won the shit) was even worse.  There's no defending the booking but the booking has been pretty shitty for years. Cena deals with it all the time.  Cena hasn't been going on last either.  I just don't get how CM Punk was "ruined"

The SummerSlam IS big and I don't know how to handle it. More than anything, I hate that ADR cashed in because they did absolutely nothing with his reign and it made no sense to take it off of Punk at that point. 

Despite that, I'd say that Punk was overall treated better than anyone outside of Cena. You could even argue that he was treated better than Orton.

• Like 1

I'm posting this here because I honestly don't know where else to put it. But i had an interesting thought cross my twisted brain today:

Could an indie fed present itself as theater, and file as a non profit 501©3 organization? Not sure what good it would do the company,

but in essence, I was curious about it and thought I'd post it to ya'lls.

Never got why they would not force Punk to defend and have him lose by forfeit. Isn't that the logical conclusion of a champion refusing to defend their belt?

it is what WCW should have done to Flair in 91.

Can you imagine the heat at GAB '91 if they'd just handed the belt to Luger and then he cut a promo about how Flair was afraid of him and ran away rather than face the ass-whooping of a lifetime?  That would've beat the shit out of "Now's the time!"

Exactly, let Lex cut a promo calling him a coward. Then let Barry Windham come in and attack Luger. You could still have Harley Race be Lex's manager. With more motivation since he hated Flair for Starrcade 83.

• Like 1

Even after Punk lost the belt, he got a WrestleMania match with The Undertaker and a SummerSlam match with Brock Lesnar (where he got in a reasonable amount of offense). When Punk left, he was feuding with The Authority and was set to face Triple H at WrestleMania.

Was he going on last at every show? No. But if you listen to his supporters, you'd think he was curtain jerking on Superstars.

Punk lost his feud with Rock. Then he lost definitively to Cena (pile driver match). Then he lost his feuds with Taker and Brock.

When he left he was heading towards a match with HHH, someone who doesnt exactly have a track record of coming out on the wrong side of a feud.

Those sure are a lot of falls for a top guy.

Look who he was losing to. The very top people in the company. 

Honestly Punk should be beneath Taker, Brock and Cena, because he truly is.

Losing feuds to Brock, Rock and Cena and being in line for a WrestleMania match with Triple H at least shows that the company has a large amount of faith in you.

• Like 1

Orton lost clean to Mark Henry.  He lost clean to Cesaro.  He's lost numerous feuds to Cena.  I don't disagree with any of it either but the fact is he's still super over.  I think if you're truly a top guy you can afford to take some falls. It's the up and comers that I worry about.

My opinion on this whole thing is that while the trope that the WWE hates money isn't true, It is true that they have enough fuck you money to do whatever they want, however they want to do it. I would so much like to see an alternate universe where it is 1996 with the current roster or the roster anytime in the last 10 years or so. 

• Like 1

He really should've given Steve Austin a call and talked about the importance of toning down your style after suffering a neck injury. I kind of want Bryan on Austin's podcast so Austin can ask him, "what the hell are you thinking?"

he was on austins show a while back and iirc austin did bring that stuff up.

Didn't Austin go a bit nuts during his heel run and likely burn a couple years off the end of his career in short order?  I recall him taking 10 straight german suplexes in a random tv match.  When you are that kind of... "dedicated" to your craft you generally only decide to ease up when you are broken down, sadly enough.

He really should've given Steve Austin a call and talked about the importance of toning down your style after suffering a neck injury. I kind of want Bryan on Austin's podcast so Austin can ask him, "what the hell are you thinking?"

he was on austins show a while back and iirc austin did bring that stuff up.

Didn't Austin go a bit nuts during his heel run and likely burn a couple years off the end of his career in short order?  I recall him taking 10 straight german suplexes in a random tv match.  When you are that kind of... "dedicated" to your craft you generally only decide to ease up when you are broken down, sadly enough.

Part of me wonders if Austin got a bit cocky after neck fusion and figured it had fixed everything up. Austin from late 97 - late 99 though worked a super-conservative style. But yeah, Austin in 2001 was definitely doing somethings that caused him problems later on. 

But I almost wonder what happens to Austin if his neck DOES hold up and he's able to work through 2003. I can't see Austin fitting into the "Triple H buries everyone" era but WWE would have to use him. The wacky co-GM stuff with Bischoff was a good way to keep him on TV but surely they wouldn't do that with him if he were still able to get in the ring. 

I remember when Austin came back from neck fusion and he did the 3 Stages of Hell with Trips and people on the board were amazed. "No one who has had that kind of surgery like that should be taking suplexes/bumps like that!" was the common consensus. It definitely cut his career short by at least 5 years wrestling that way.

James

Getting back to Nigel, it was my impression that he retired not due to injury but because WWE wasn't interested anymore and he had no desire to work anywhere else.

IIRC he contracted a bloodborne illness which forced him to retire. He has spoken out numerous times against blading because I think that's how it happened.

Getting back to Nigel, it was my impression that he retired not due to injury but because WWE wasn't interested anymore and he had no desire to work anywhere else.

IIRC he contracted a bloodborne illness which forced him to retire. He has spoken out numerous times against blading because I think that's how it happened.

I remember reading something about how Nigel couldn't pass a WWE physical, I imagine that this would do the trick. 

Cena wrestles people like Khali and Kane and Big Show all the time but Punk couldn't survive a mini feud with Kevin Nash? 

I would have kept Punk off of TV longer. Having him return a month after his "I AM WALKING OUT OF WWE WITH THE BELT" tirade was a bit deflating. Having ADR cash in was even more deflating.

Money in the Bank was on July 17th. Punk returned at the end of RAW on July 25th. Having him return after a month would have been a vast improvement over what happened in reality. All of that Comic-Con stuff was literally the week after MITB.

And as far as people thinking Punk had no right to complain about how he was treated (which I think is a dumb opinion but whatever), bitching about not main-eventing 'Mania and stuff - Punk himself has said recently that he realizes it was stupid and he took himself and wrestling way too seriously. Which is something a lot of people do, but no one gets near as much shit for it as Punk did.

But I'm bias, because Punk was like Steve Austin 2.0 to me. If it wasn't for that summer (and Lesnar returning the next year), I wouldn't even be interested in wrestling right now. I'd probably be arguing about whether Cowboy Cerrone will be able to stay healthy for his title fight against RDA. I'm glad it all happened, though, because the MMA section of this site is.... something else entirely. Way more opinionated and confrontational (at times) than this section.

• Like 1