DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 TV THREAD!

DEAN

Regarding The Strain:

This show has been largely inconsistent and the slow burn approach they've taken with their 5 year plan isn't helping matters. Normally I'm a sucker for vampire or werewolf themes but this show definitely tests my patience. I'm holding onto a sliver of hope that things will pick up with the introduction of Quinlan and the Master's transition into Boliver's body.

I had the notion of watching the series and then reading the books but I'm almost to the point where I feel it would be more satisfying to just read the books and be done with watching anymore.

I haven't watched the Strain since partway through season 1, but I did catch a few minutes a couple weeks ago. I laughed way too much that the show's idea of Ephram traveling incognito/disguised was to have Corey Stoll stop wearing his absurd hairpiece.

So ASH VS. THE EVIL DEAD is pretty much going to be the greatest thing of all time, right?

I just wish it was premiering earlier.  Why start it at the end of Halloween season?

That trailer made me giddy.

Killjoys left me with a fucking cliffhanger.  At least that means more of Hannah John-Kamen being hot in a few more months.

There is also talk of a Killjoys / Dark Matter crossover episode since fan rumor is that they both take place in the same continuum.  Dutch and Portia LIn on my television at the same time?  More, please.

I had no idea the two were related. I've really digging Killjoys, wasn't the happiest at that cliffhanger, but that is more my impatience. I skipped out on Dark Matter. Is it worth going back and checking out.

I had no idea the two were related. I've really digging Killjoys, wasn't the happiest at that cliffhanger, but that is more my impatience. I skipped out on Dark Matter. Is it worth going back and checking out.

The shows relationship is fanboy claptrap encouraged by series creator ambiguity.  I am inclined not to believe the shows are connected given that the idea for Killjoys came off the top of someone's head while Dark Matter was adopted from an established comic book series.

Both shows are pretty good, but Killjoys IMO is the gem of Syfy Friday Night.  Finally an uncomplicated series you can come into the middle of and still enjoy it.

The Brink finale was so good. A couple times they had me thinking that I was right in how fucked up the show is, and even then, what looks like a happy ending on the surface, is indeed very fucked up with the last moments before the credits.

By the way, watch all of the credits. There's a pretty funny gag at the end that pays off a joke from 2 or 3 episodes ago.

I'm not sure if anyone here watches Ray Donovan but it's turned into a pretty nice religious allegory.

I don't mean the storyline with the priest; I mean the battle for Bunchy's soul, between the luncha girl who threw away his jorts and his father who just wants help beating up Armenian gangsters.

Its time to get schwifty!

For a show that has had half an episode taken up by improvised television ads and shows, that A story for Sunday's episode was probably the goofiest thing they've done. I loved the B story (the stuff with Summer, Beth, and Jerry almost always works incredibly well) and came around on the Rick 'n Morty plot as Ice-T did more and more. So zany. Bird Person and Tammy showing up was great. Bird Person's constant exposition on Rick's altruistic nature is always fucking awesome.

I think one of the best things about Rick and Morty is that the A and B stories are equally strong and funny. That said, I was also impressed with how quick they were to play with the conventions they'd established as early as that television episode.

Just finished binge watching all three (so far) seasons of Banshee. Man, how to review that show? On the one hand, it's easily one of the most ridiculous shows I've ever watched. On the other hand, it hooked me and I enjoyed all three seasons...

Banshee tells the story of a mysterious thief just released from prison after 15 years. He wanders into a bar in Banshee, PA and is soon followed by the newly-hired sheriff. Two guys come soon after to shake down the bar owner. A gunfight ensues and the two bad guys and the sheriff all end up dead. Our mysterious thief enlists the bar owner and a super-hacker friend and assumes the identity of the sheriff. This somehow works and he starts performing the job, while also still continuing his life of crime. Complicating things are Kai, the former Amish man now turned killer gangster. There's also Alex Longshadow, the chief of the local Kinaho tribe - also a gangster. And Carrie/Ana, the former girlfriend of our hero, now married to a DA/mayor. And there's Rabbit, the vicious Ukrainian mobster that our hero & Carrie/Ana ripped off 15 years ago in the case that got the guy sent to prison.

Sound confusing? It's not. It's just ridiculously implausible :) But Banshee is well-made and a lot of fun. It places a premium on the three Bs of an action movie - boobs, bullets, and brawls. We get lots of all three. And the brawls are GREAT. Everyone in the show is tough as nails and can fight, including the women. The show is REALLY violent and revels in it - like when Burton, the Terminatory-esque assistant of Kai, rips out someone's windpipe.

So, yeah, turn off your brain a bit, sit back and enjoy the implausible storylines, the scorching hot babes, and the awesome fights. 7/10.

I've mentioned it here before, but I second your love of Banshee.  I thought the long, visceral, They Live-style fights that highlight nearly every episode would get old.  They didn't.  I posted a video of it  a while back but the fight between Nola and Clay was incredible.  It's not just all the fighting and fucking, though.  The plot is insane and well-written and even the secondary characters, like the reformed neo-nazi who joins the police force ("I realize my appearance my be unsettling..."), are awesome.  The show is seriously addicting.  It's sad that the fourth season will be the last but I'm positive it's going to be great.

Adding in to the Banshee love. Just finished off the third season. On one hand the plot is getting to the point where the series should end but on the other I don't want it to end.

I love the fact that most characters get some attention (except for poor Max).

I actually got into Banshee since there was a delay in the final season of Strike Back due to Sullivan Stapleton's injury during filming. I have the first 4 episodes in the DVR and I need to sit down and watch them.

Am I crazy or is 'Fresh Off the Boat' not bad for a 2015 major network sitcom?  The two leads have tons of charisma (The always amazing Randall Park and the new-to-me but totally charming Constance Wu), they veer from the problem arises-gets worse-resolution sitcom format (Some episodes have virtually no story arc, one I saw basically took the Simpsons route of presenting a story, ending it before the first commercial break, then going in a different direction after that), the kids are fairly entertaining, it has a fun soundtrack (All mid-90s hip hop like BIG, ODB, Ice Cube) and a nice assortment of peripheral characters (Paul Scheer as a weirdo host at the dad's restaurant, Steve "Stevie Janowski" Little as the rival restaurateur and Chelsey Crisp as the neighbour).  I mean, it's not reinventing the wheel or anything, but for a simple, digestible, fairly funny major network sitcom, it seems pretty damn solid.