DVDVR Message Board

TNA/GWF MEGA THREAD OF DOOM~!

It has to be terrible advertising. I've been to three TNA events in Virginia, one of them being a house show, and all had really solid attendance. Not sellouts but nothing to sneeze at. So either its bad advertising or they are going to areas that just don't have a ton of wrestling fans.

Here are the results from last nights TNA Live enet and some crowd photos

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/tna-live-event-9-17-results-ec3-vs-matt-hardy

- Singles Match: Tyrus defeated DJ Zema Ion.

- Tag Team Championship Match: The Wolves © defeated Manik and Abyss.

- Singles Match: Gail Kim defeated Awesome Kong.

- Street Fight: Tommy Dreamer defeated Eli Drake.

- Triple Threat King of the Mountain Championship Match Bobby Roode © defeated Drew Galloway and Ken Anderson.

- TNA World Heavyweight Championship Match: EC3 (with Jeff Hardy) defeated Matt Hardy.

TNA%20Crowd%203_zps9cpomaxn.jpg

TNA%20Crowd%204_zpskspnlq0t.jpg

"Another sell-out crowd of over a thousand fans packed Michael's on 8th Avenue for the latest event produced by Maryland Championship Wrestling..."

or

"Buddy Landell and Doug Gilbert headline a spectacular all-star extravaganze as Dennis Coraluzzo brings you NWA New Jersey..."

• Like 2

So either its bad advertising or they are going to areas that just don't have a ton of wrestling fans.

I think it was Bobby Heenan who talked about in an era of 9-11 wrestling stories generally come off as dumb and weak. I mean I know WWE isn't Breaking Bad or Mad Men, but that's the level of content they are up against. In comparison, the WWE is still lurking in the kids pool.

So given all the public lying done by Dixie and cohorts, and as Meltzer said, who in the world would ever want to work for/with/hire these people? It's one thing to fail at a business, it's another thing entirely to successfully manage to shrink your company multiple times over a decade while showing no growth. Seriously, besides being rich, how did Dixie keep that company a float? I mean if Heyman had had her resources ECW would probably still be on air today.

In a sense ECW is on the air right now in the form of NXT. Take away the faux reality bullshit they did for the first couple of seasons and when FCW/NXT became a promotion within it self it was carrying on the torch of ECW. Not a direct relative, but a distant cousin (kinda like John Goodman in King Ralph).

I talked to A-1 at am indie show once. Absurdly nice guy, like the way over the top nice guy Canadian stereotype. And he was physically beaming when people were praising a TNA segment where Team Canada did a mock funeral for.... Somebody? Dudley's, maybe? It was like 9 years ago, I don't remember. But anyway, he was just so proud and happy that the people talking to him enjoyed it.

• Like 1

I talked to A-1 at am indie show once. Absurdly nice guy, like the way over the top nice guy Canadian stereotype. And he was physically beaming when people were praising a TNA segment where Team Canada did a mock funeral for.... Somebody? Dudley's, maybe? It was like 9 years ago, I don't remember. But anyway, he was just so proud and happy that the people talking to him enjoyed it.

To be fair, someone praising a TNA segment is probably pretty rare.

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/tna-live-event-9-17-results-ec3-vs-matt-hardy

- Triple Threat King of the Mountain Championship Match Bobby Roode © defeated Drew Galloway and Ken Anderson.

- TNA World Heavyweight Championship Match: EC3 (with Jeff Hardy) defeated Matt Hardy.

11709562_10153040656125872_8021730703682

• Like 5

11709562_10153040656125872_8021730703682

At what point will Jarrett or whoever realize their money is better spent on pretty much anything else at this point?

NXT is the version of TNA that TNA always wanted to be.

Except that NXT loses money too.

I'm not sure how anyone could really know that - take NXT off the network and I am confident WWE would lose a good amount of subscription numbers. And how do you quantify the value that WWE gets from having guys work NXT before coming over to the main brand?

I think to make the judgement that NXT is losing money, you have to at least attempt to separate NXT the fed from the seemingly hundreds of people they have training at the Performance Centre. And bear in mind that the investment required to tour as they are now doing will be recouped over time. 

Ultimately the whole thing is also valuable as a training ground for HHH to prepare to take over from Vince, which protects the value of the company over time. But even discounting that, NXT looks like it's doing okay to me. HHH doesn't have the plurality of options available to him that Dixie once had, so the comparison of profits isn't completely fair anyway.

In other words, apples & oranges. But apples are actually better than oranges right?

Yeah, but if you look at how much money NXT literally brings in versus how much it costs to operate, they're losing money. That doesn't mean it isn't a great long-term investment for all the reasons you mentioned.

But the question still stands when it's said NXT is losing money is that the promotion or the promotion+preformence center?

Yeah, but if you look at how much money NXT literally brings in versus how much it costs to operate, they're losing money. 

*shrug* I guess, but it's not really got anything to do with anything. If you made conservative estimates to the worth of NXT to Network buys, the worth of giving guys like Rollins, Charlotte, Banks & Rollins a TV platform to hone their acts etc, then I doubt you're going to see 'NXT' the fed as losing money. The 'literally brings in' number doesn't hold any import.