DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Clichés That Should Be Abolished

I think match layouts have become a trope that needs to die on occasion. Let the heels win once in a while before the hot tag, Let the faces in tag matches win early a few times. Would make those hot tags mean more if fans knew they weren't guaranteed.

In the 90's All Japan main events would rarely go less than 20 minutes. The crowd became smart and rarely popped for anything before roughly 15 minutes in.

The same problem happened in ROH in the mid 2000's. Sapolsky's idea was that Bryan Danielson would beat Colt Cabana in five minutes. The crowd was confused. In the end, after a little training, the crowd started to pop earlier and more often.

"Look, someone's brought a cake into a wrestling ring. How unusual. I hope it doesn't get messed up in some way."

I actually love this cake (almost) always ends up in someones face, money gets stolen, trophies get bust over someones back

• Like 2

I always hated that in some matches the referee will allow the guys to brawl outside for an hour and not even bother to count but other times the fucker is counting to ten like it's his job (which it is).

This kinda makes sense, going back to referee's discretion. Obviously the ref is going to let things go a bit more in the main events than the undercard

"Look, someone's brought a cake into a wrestling ring. How unusual. I hope it doesn't get messed up in some way."

As someone that suffered a back injury from being powerbombed onto a cake, I support this.

(Seriously, that shit hurt more than the thumbtacks did.)

From reading this thread, the short answer seems to be "everything WWE does." 

Their shit is beyond stale and that's why I watch Raw on FFWD and actually only watch one segment or two.  The show is fucking garbage. 

Well, you could probably condense it into "everything Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn believe about professional wrestling"...

• Like 1

As someone that suffered a back injury from being powerbombed onto a cake, I support this.

Ganache or buttercream?

Ganache or buttercream?

Urinal.

• Like 8

I think my least favorite trope is the "everything on camera" stuff.  I hate when the backstage stuff where a camera is present for no obvious reason, and the wrestlers on-screen seem to be blissfully unaware of said camera even though they're making sure to look directly into it when they talk.

I really, really hate the idea that no one communicates with management or other wrestlers unless it's on live tv.  The monster heel (or Austin) gets banned from the arena, sneaks in, runs into the ring (strangely, his theme music plays), and beats up everyone in sight.  Clotheslines EMS workers and security, electrocutes a fan using jumper cables, destroys half the roster, then beats Vince down and powerbombs LInda and Steph.  Linda breaks a hip.  On his way out, the heel swears that he'll destroy Vince and might attack anywhere at any time. Something will have to be done to protect Vince.

So what happens?  Does Vince fire the heel on the spot?  Call the police?  Suspend him?  Do something to ensure his safety?  Nope.  Instead, he waits until the next episode of Raw, seven days later.  Then he cues the sound guy to play his theme, power-struts to the ring, and suspends the heel.  Y'know, like he could have done a week ago, before the heel would have had a week to possibly attack him again.

Even worse when it's tag partners or family members.  Steph turns on Triple H during a PPV match and maces him in the eyes.  Next night on Raw, Cole tells us Trips hasn't talked to his wife in 24 hours.  Trips music plays, he comes to the ring, and he calls out Steph to explain why he turned on him.  'Cause, y'know, that's how most married couples handle arguments.  Actually going home and talking to your wife without a camera present is so passe.. 

I'd also be happy if they'd stop playing theme music when a wrestler does a surprise run-in, or if theme music at least stopped having hypnotic properties that freezes the in-ring wrestlers dead in their tracks.

Dario is a weird example, simply because, from what I gather in my limited Lucha Underground watching, the show is really not presented as a wrestling show.  It's shot like a cheap Robert Rodriquez flick about wrestling.

Every feud needing 3 PPV matches. Come the fuck on.

As someone who grew up on the MSG formula, that actually doesn't bother me at all. It's one of the few old school wrestling elements that has survived the test of time.

Dario is a weird example, simply because, from what I gather in my limited Lucha Underground watching, the show is really not presented as a wrestling show. It's shot like a cheap Robert Rodriquez flick about wrestling.

This is true, and it's also why the backstage segments work so well in LU when the whole thing looks dumb in WWE. On the other hand, the AXS NJPW show is completely the opposite and still better presented than WWE.

Dario is awesome because he's not a traditional "heel" authority figure.  He fucks with everybody equally because he's just an evil guy running a business.

This.  Also, LU is the sort of thing where you go "Of course, there's an evil/sleazy guy running things."

I'll probably be less thrilled when LU moves on from Dario and we have a succession of heel gm/owners.

Would that make Dario "chaotic neutral" in the wrestling alignment scheme of things? Because that totally works.

I would be happy if we never had another scenario that involved the entire locker room on stage/ringside taking abuse from the heel authority figure forever and a day because REASONS.

• Like 1

If I've said it once, I've said it thrice:

No one tries to 'win' the match. Everybody is there to entertain (and like the earlier post, get ALL of their spots in). This is why I raise my children to loathe Dolph Ziggler.

My five year old first 'got it' a few months back..."Daddy, doesn't the winner get paid more money and get title shots?" "They should, son."

Another is, I hate the formula of the winner of the match slowly backing up the ramp to get more face time, and the loser comes to in order to stare at the winner. Thank God those magical ring ropes are electrified to keep the loser in the ring and prohibit him to keep the fight going.

This talk of Dario doing "heel promoter" in a different way made me think about other ways you might be able to put a fresh spin on the concept. What if someone did a Hunter Zolomon-type gimmick where they helped the heels and hurt the faces with the notion that overcoming adversity would make the faces stronger and better heroes?

• Like 1

One day. I want a wrestling promotion to hire an authority figure.

And the first time that figure does something to favor one side and turns heel, the first thing that happens is he gets fired for unprofessional conduct instead of continuing to let him run the company.

See that way he can fully turn heel and become a manager.

• Like 1

One day. I want a wrestling promotion to hire an authority figure.

And the first time that figure does something to favor one side and turns heel, the first thing that happens is he gets fired for unprofessional conduct instead of continuing to let him run the company.

See that way he can fully turn heel and become a manager.

Honestly, this is what should have happened with Bischoff the moment he went NWO.