DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Do we want to talk about A Deadly Adoption?

I feel this needs to be talked about now so we can get it out of the way.

If felt like they were attempting to pass it off as a parody. But like...in a backwards way. If felt like someone was trying to create a new "The Room"

I don't buy this was a parody. I believe this was a movie intended to be serious at first and after it was made they realized how awful it was and went in the "It's a parody." route.

I have no clue why Will Ferrall or Kirsten Wiig would this movie. Either 1. One or both of them have a drug issue or 2. This a money laundering scheme.

I think it's supposed to be a meditation on how public personas shape our responses to movies and television. How long before you stop feeling like you're watching a parody and you realize you really are watching a mundane Lifetime thriller? Maybe I'm giving them too much credit and Ferrell really did lose a bet.

I haven't seen it, but it was made by the same team that made Ferrell's CASA DE MI PADRE and THE SPOILS OF BABYLON, which means it's more played straight and mostly only funny in a meta, "Look how perfectly they're imitating this genre" way.

Also, they didn't want news of the movie to get out. It was also kind of an experiment for social media to see how quickly it would sweep the web that they were in a Lifetime movie without any promotion.

I haven't seen it yet. I'm really excited for it, though.

Do we want to talk about A Deadly Adoption?

I feel this needs to be talked about now so we can get it out of the way.

If felt like they were attempting to pass it off as a parody. But like...in a backwards way. If felt like someone was trying to create a new "The Room"

I don't buy this was a parody. I believe this was a movie intended to be serious at first and after it was made they realized how awful it was and went in the "It's a parody." route.

I have no clue why Will Ferrall or Kirsten Wiig would this movie. Either 1. One or both of them have a drug issue or 2. This a money laundering scheme.

Yeah, I got that feeling too. But I think they did set out to make a parody from the start.

The issue: you cannot set out to deliberately make The Room or Plan 9 or something like that. The truly great terrible movies come from sheer earnestness.

So instead the whole thing came off like those sci fi movies. Silly and with a few funny moments but just not anything memorable. 

The Brink was so bad... so bad. They were trying so hard to be funny and I just sat stone faced the entire time.

Ballers on the other hand was great, if for just Rob Cordry.

So, the shooter kid from the new season of Murder in the First was playing a video game in his head?  I call bullshit.

And what the fuck is up with the totally random hook-up  between English (Taye Diggs) and Veracruz (Emmanuelle Chriqui)? 

First, English's wife dies, then he has an awkward thing with Hildy, and then he's bumping uglies with Veracruz?  Diggs and Chriqui are both attractive people but they have had zero chemistry in most of their screen time and there is like nil sexual tension between their characters that would lead to them just going at it like wolves in the evidence room.

If you don't know how to handle characters in the downtime, just go full CSI and always showcase the crime.

I further hate this scene because I am now in trouble with my girlfriend for shouting "HIT IT FROM THE BACK, SON~!" at the television set.

So, the shooter kid from the new season of Murder in the First was playing a video game in his head?  I call bullshit.

Yeah, that was dumb.  

I tend to think the kid shooter thing is largely a red herring ('cause it's always a good idea when writers cook up a mass murder for shock value) and the real case of the season involves police corruption.  The promos seem to be indicating that the dead policeman was killed by another cop, not one of the teenage shooters.

And what the fuck is up with the totally random hook-up  between English (Taye Diggs) and Veracruz (Emmanuelle Chriqui)? 

First, English's wife dies, then he has an awkward thing with Hildy, and then he's bumping uglies with Veracruz?  Diggs and Chriqui are both attractive people but they have had zero chemistry in most of their screen time and there is like nil sexual tension between their characters that would lead to them just going at it like wolves in the evidence room.

I think they were going for some sort of "Terry is out on his feet, numb emotionally, and just needs to feel something" deal, but it could just as easily be bad writing.  My opinion of this show is kinda low, so I'm voting for that second thing.

Wait, a crime show actually did the "blame video games" storyline and it wasn't a spoof?

"Video games are dangerous, y'all. Look at Japan. They never have shootings and we all know they're not into video games or technology."

I guess, by that idea, any put-upon plumber who goes on a murder spree can turn around and blame Mario and Luigi.

(In fairness the movie was shit, but probably not enough to justify murdering people.)

So, the shooter kid from the new season of Murder in the First was playing a video game in his head? I call bullshit.

Wait, a crime show actually did the "blame video games" storyline and it wasn't a spoof?

"Video games are dangerous, y'all. Look at Japan. They never have shootings and we all know they're not into video games or technology."

Well, they don't have all the guns. Are there reports on Japanese kids attacking schools with swords?