DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Summer 2015

Jiji

Fair enough, but what about Bradley's tenure as US HC is it that makes people (well, sabre) think we need him back? His tactics were pedestrian, and usually unsuited to the talent we had available, (e.g. always running out two strikers when we barely had one with any ability beyond speed, playing route 1 when we actually had some creativity in the midfield with Donovan and Dempsey, turtling despite a tremendously leaky back four), he wasn't strong enough to stand up to the MLS ownership that controls US Soccer's purse strings, and he didnt even TRY to bring the promising dual-nationality players into the fold.

It's more the idea that Klinsmann is a coaching genius who is going to show us dumb Americans how to play when that's clearly not the case that bothers me. Bob may have not been perfect but I think he did the best with what we had. I may be somewhat biased because I still hate fucking Lalas for firing him from Metro and killing the progress he had made (in particular his son immediately leaving, imagine if he had spent more time here). And of course the soda people topped it by firing Bruce and then Petkie.

I liked Boo Radley as much as the next guy, but I definitely think Klinsmann is an upgrade in so many areas like recruiting, tactical knowledge, motivating players & experience.

Sucks USA got KOd, but good for Jamaica.  They looked pretty strong in the Copa America even though they went out in the group stages, but they were in the damn group of death and only lost each game 1-0.  I think that experience playing the real high quality south american sides like Argentina, Uruguay & Paraguay etc has made them step their game up to get to this point.  They're definitely not the pushovers of years past, so while it sucks as an upset It's not going to make me call for Klinsmann's head just yet because the Reggae Boyz have been steadily improving for years now as well.

I can't wait for the Copa America next year in the good ol USA!

Bob may have not been perfect but I think he did the best with what we had.

But he didn't. Look at the minutes inferior players like Buddle, Gomez, and Findley got in South Africa while Stu Holden barely got his cleats dirty.

Those guys were in form. Buddle was scoring boatloads of goals at the time and Gomez was the first ever American to lead a foreign league in goals. They aren't worse than say Alan Gordon or Wondo for comparison.

I tried to explain this US MNT loss to someone I work with yesterday who also happens to be an Alabama grad. I cannot stop myself from taking digs at Alabama.

I said, "it would be the equivalent to those times that Alabama lost to Northern Illinois or La Tech."

The first penalty call for Mexico was really bad. It´s at worst an indirect free kick, but actually looked like more of a foul on Panama´s defender. Second pk looked to be okay for me.

US-Situation: The US looked like a good team able to compete in the last World Cups. Tbh, seeing where they were in the nineties, they have progressed and stabilized. They aren´t going to win a World Cup anytime soon or maybe even ever, but not many teams do anyway. International football is like that. As for the Gold Cup, they had a long season, and to play a continental tournament exactly the year after the World Cup seems odd to me in general. Look how bigger European national teams struggled in Qualifiers etc. It´s of course disappointing to get eliminated that close to another final/win, but I don´t think this should lead to discussing Klinsmann and his work in a bigger way than usual. USA seemed to look fairly good up until now, only read something regarding the game, but they seemed to have a lot of chances they just couldn´t convert against Jamaica.

The question if  Klinsmann is more than a periodic / event trainer however remains unanswered. He did a good job introducing new concepts and ideas in Germany, but he relied heavily on others to get those concepts done on the pitch and for tactics, formations etc.People tend to forget that we were still struggling with the mere concept of "Four at the back" and actual pressing as late as 2004. It is largely thanks to Klinsmann we introduced a heavier emphasis on an attacking, pressuring and passing-heavy playstyle.

I guess what I´m saying is, my impression of Klinsmann as German national team manager was that the true impact only showed after he was gone.
I´m surprised anyone would consider him a tactical genius. He has a general grasp of tactical concepts and can be great at motivating, but always had others to get down the business side of things.

I don´t really know about Bradley´s coaching credentials outside of his work for the USMNT. But as for the "almost qualification" and the somewhat shady qualifying mode in Africa, I don´t really see this a real considerable argument for him being a better manager than Klinsmann for the US. First of, if the mode was somewhat of a resemblance of the European mode for instance, Egypt would have very likely played bigger dogs - maybe even Ghana? - in group stage and who knows how that would have played out. Especially considering the fact they have like four or five spots in Africa with a bazillion countries on this large continent, there might have easily been 3 "big" teams rivaling each other for a qualifying spot, so it´s really hard to say how another mode would have played out. In the end you can only judge a campaign success on actual results, Second, they also failed to qualify for the African Cup of Nations under his management. 

Third, Egypt is for sure among the stronger footballing nations in Africa, but as hard as it is to credit their failure to a coach who sat at the sideline for merely two years, it is even harder to credit their strength to him. I´m sure he isn´t a bad coach, I can´t say if he is worse or better than Klinsmann, but it´s hard to recall any coach or manager working within CAF over the years having a serious long term impact. Even teams that are somewhat consistant like Ghana, who took part in three World Cups in a row, advancing in the K.o.-stages in the first two out of those last three World Cups, had a different manager every tournament. It´s hard, if not impossible to imprint your own concepts in such an environment, I´d reckon. The question is how did the US fare with Bradley as a coach and if there has been progress with Klinsmann now. For me, this is hard to tell, but even if Bradley had won the World Cup Egypt, it´s hard to tell if he would have led the US to a 2015 Gold Cup win. I mean, nobody around here thinks that Otto Rehagel and his tactics would have won the EURO 2004 for ANY other team than Greece, right?   .

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

Real Madrid vs. Manchester City friendly in Melbourne, Australia is sold out having sold 100,000 tickets.

Rogers Sportsnet have picked up the rights to the Bunesliga this year through the 2019-20 season

Actual Sportsnet, or that fucking Sportsnet World they want me to pay 15 bucks a month for to watch FA Cup games?

• Like 1

I liked it better when it was Setanta. They had the best elevator music to fall back to sleep to after waking up at like 4AM to watch Liverpool lose. So soothing.

• Like 2

I liked it better when it was Setanta. They had the best elevator music to fall back to sleep to after waking up at like 4AM to watch Liverpool lose. So soothing.

And way more hurling and gaelic football.

Guest Edwin

lol @ Lapmard

Anyway, that NYC vs. OC was great. Best MLS I've ever seen. Up there with that Portland vs. LA game from a couple of seasons ago where Beckham went nuts scoring scoring a brace with one of them being a long distance free kick.

I'm someone who's never followed MLS or follows the league that closely outside of OC.

Pirlo's debut was surreal. He just came on the pitch pitch and his presence was felt immediately.

That was the wildest game I've ever been to live. Pirlo was ungodly over all day long... amused that he's already out there making an impact while Lamps has yet to log a single minute over a year after his signing.

32000 with the upper deck opened again. But CHIVAS EAST AMIRITE?