DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

I take no issue with someone saying Batman v Superman was a mess but Man of Steel is the one I'll never understand because while it is a different take on the character I don't believe most folks wanted the boy scout. Superman even in the comics has changed quite a bit from what he was in the golden era but to me he was still Superman. They needed to try something different. He wasn't told "hey, go pull that bus out of the water" or "go save everyone on the oil tanker" he did it because he IS a hero and was born a hero. The only thing going on is his earth parents trying to protect him from the times we live in so I guess you can say you don't want a realistic take on what would happen if this really occurred in our world but I appreciate the effort and the thought that went into it.  Plus, of course you get the outstanding action sequences and all of that. It's a damn good movie.

Batman v Superman suffers from poor editing and from trying to cram way too much crap into a 2.5 hour movie. And the worst part is they didn't HAVE to do it. I was perfectly fine from the word "go" that we were going to be dropped in an existing universe with an older Batman and that everything else could be played off that through flashbacks, prequel movies and whatever. Justice League didn't need every member to have an origin flick. 

But what the film did accomplish is setting up Affleck as Batman and Gal as Wonder Woman. I don't know how Justice League will come together but I think the Batman movie, Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman all have potential.

• Like 1

I've says it before, the first hour, give or take, of MoS is fantastic.

Then Clark gets the costume and it just plummets into something that's just terrible. I'm not sure I've ever seen another movie that, for me, has such a clear change in quality in the middle of it like that.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I've says it before, the first hour, give or take, of MoS is fantastic.

Then Clark gets the costume and it just plummets into something that's just terrible. I'm not sure I've ever seen another movie that, for me, has such a clear change in quality in the middle of it like that.

Well..  according to your own posts you felt the same way about The Dark Knight Rises but in reverse. lol

56 minutes ago, Mike Zeidler said:

The tipping point? Jonathan Kent's suicide

He didn't want Clark exposed, remember? And he was right! Look what happened when he tried to save the world. Some people started to worship him like a God and others felt he was the anti-Christ. That's the world we live in.

Not nearly as extreme on Rises.

The first two hours are dull and paced terribly, but at least it has Anne Hathaway being all kinds of awesome.

Man of Steel went from being something I was legitimately loving to something I fucking hated on a dime.

• Like 1

I enjoyed this take on BvS:

http://wrongquestions.blogspot.co.il/2016/04/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice.html

I like the idea that Jonathan Kent was a dark, depressed dude, and that's why Superman grew up so dull and emotionless.  I mean, those characterizations are uh... unique and they made the movie less enjoyable, but at least there's a logic there.  (not that I think this was Snyder's intention)

Also in the comments there are some interesting thoughts about Thomas Wayne and which character they could have used instead of Lex Luthor.

I wouldn't be shocked if Kevin Smith ends up directing the Flash. WB apparently loved the episode of the Flash series he directed, and he had a pitch meeting with them for a secret project last week. Outside of a DCU movie, the only other thing I could see them doing with him is adapting one of his comics for an animated release.