DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

That is really good news.  There should be no scene with Harley in it where I do not laugh at least five times.

They know where their bread is buttered. There's going to be hardly any scenes without Harley period. 

5 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

If I were Niners and really wanted to die on this hill, I'd go through the Phase 3 thread and grab all the people who are shitting on Supes quotes of them giving Cap a pass for being a holier-than-thou douche who acts like he's smarter aND better than everyone else. 

Or wait a month when they give Civil War a pass for most of the same shit they're beating on BvS for.  If I were Niners and wanted to die on this hill.

You're absolutely correct but I'm going to try this thing called moving on because this is getting more ridiculous than the Man of Steel discussions lol.

..... Nobody said they should. (Although Warner clearly wants people to think they did, judging by the trailer.)

But Harley Quinn is a character that exists as a vehicle for visual gags, jokes, and insanity. That's what the character brings to the table. It's why she's basically become DC's version of Deadpool. Even if the rest of the movie is as humorless as MoS and BvS, it's Harley Quinn.

The Suicide Squad trailers to me weren't special because of the humor. They showed that Ayer seemed to approach the material with a sense of wonder that was plainly missing from even the early footage of BVS. 

55 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It seemed like she was joking around plenty from the trailer. We'll see.

Definitely. And the trailer looks great. If you believe the rumor (who the fuck knows?) out says that the jokes in the trailer were literally all the jokes that are in the entire movie, which would be a terrible case of selling a completely different movie than you are actually delivering. But, yeah, I have no idea of its true or not. 

I'm just saying, of they shrieky made a movie where Harley Quinn isn't consistently hilarious... Why did they make a movie with HarleyQuinn?n

You can't tell me The Winter Soldier was not a serious movie.

I think what happened here is that Warner Bros. thought they could be different by doubling down on dark and gritty since that worked so well for the Nolan films and elsewhere.  However, a lot of people don't like it when these characters are constantly dark and gritty.  

I think it's like Patton Oswalt says.  Dark and gritty works if the character is already dark and gritty.

Also, saying "Zack Snyder is simply a worse director than the Russo brothers in practically every category" is hardly some grand contentious statement.  Even aside from the magnificence that was The Winter Soldier, the paintball episodes on Community are better than absolutely anything Snyder's ever done.  If it were Kenneth Branagh or Peyton Reed or Alan Taylor they brought back to do Civil War then I might be worried, but Disney entrusted this project to very good hands. 

• Like 2

Can we say that dark and gritty isn't working?  What if it continues to do well at the box office?  There were articles written about the big Friday to Sunday drop off but then it rebounded with two of the best Mondays and Tuesdays ever. Plus, Fandango is reporting that there are a lot of repeat tickets being sold. 30% more than the usual blockbuster. 

I'm sure I come off like a huge insane DC fan but even I haven't gone and watched this a second time but others are. I don't think we can yet say that "dark" isn't working for them.

See the thing with circular arguments is they go in circles. As soon as you mention that it's a financial success despite it's critical failure, someone brings up Transformers again and we go around that bit of the circle a bit more.

It's not really dark and gritty anyway. It's not like it's a remake of Se7en or anything... the Nolan films were more 'badly lit and growly' than 'dark and gritty'. I mean, compared to Schumacher's Batmen, yeah, but it's not like they were Threads or nothing.

Despite it's problems I think it's clear that Snyder has been better with the DCEU than Bay has done with Transformers but I'm not looking for that argument, I'm just saying we haven't seen anything yet to suggest that the tone should be altered moving forward. I think SS will be different anyway and I expect both Wonder Woman and Flash to be different.

Box Office Mojo's weekend preview is kinda hilarious. It's just one long "we don't have a fucking clue, this could do anywhere from a massive tank job to really strong hold. Uh... We'll guess in the middle"

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/gHZLO

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/7Px7XsJ

Beyond plot or specific characterization issues, it's a betrayal of what these characters mean to people and what they can be. Even the worst previous interpretations of them at least acknowledged their core ideals. They matter in a way that the people that made this movie don't understand. I can accept that it's a movie aimed at adolescents and I'm approaching 30. I just feel bad for them. 

• Like 1

LOL I saw that. I think it has to do with the Monday/Tuesday numbers, the repeat viewers that Fandango is reporting and that the audience score on RT is stronger than comparable films like the last Indiana Jones that never happened. 

Usually.. when a movie is this hated by critics and the Cinemascore is in the "okay" range you are going to see a pretty big drop off but this movie seems very polarizing.  I'm not quite sure what's going on.

37 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Can we say that dark and gritty isn't working?  What if it continues to do well at the box office?  There were articles written about the big Friday to Sunday drop off but then it rebounded with two of the best Mondays and Tuesdays ever. Plus, Fandango is reporting that there are a lot of repeat tickets being sold. 30% more than the usual blockbuster. 

I'm sure I come off like a huge insane DC fan but even I haven't gone and watched this a second time but others are. I don't think we can yet say that "dark" isn't working for them.

Deadline reports that this film has to make about $1.03 billion in order to get back a 10 percent profit.  That's the film's ultimate measure of financial success.  

At the end of the day, I have nothing against dark and gritty.  I love Daredevil and Jessica Jones, and they are about the darkest and grittiest comic book shows around, but they are still faithful to the spirit of those stories and those characters. I just feel like Batman v Superman overdid it and it's unbalanced.  Same with Man of Steel.  

The Dark Knight seemed to hit into something.  At the same time Marvel found something else with Iron Man.  Warner Bros. sort of tried to keep on that path.  I would say not for good reason after they took it to the realm of camp and color too far for Batman & Robin that it just became embarrassing.  

But intrinsically, Batman and Superman should both be very different characters and hypothetically they should clash over a difference in ideologies.  This film didn't have that.  Batman and Superman were both essentially the same type of characters.

I think Wonder Woman is going to be like Captain America: First Avenger.  I'm thinking Suicide Squad will be more of a dark/comedy/action.  I think The Flash will be pretty lighthearted. I think even Justice League will be maybe not like Avengers but something more like the animated films. Serious at times but banter between the teammates.  That's what I'm thinking will happen.