DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

I thought that JL was perfectly fine.  Not great, but it wasn't complete shit either.

I really don't care about the op-ed in Forbes because they are a bunch of assholes who would only like a DC movie that featured The Avengers.  I neither trust nor heed painfully biased opinions.. 

The only thing that bugged me about JL is that it is obvious that only Patty Jenkins knows how to handle Wonder Woman.  Every other director wants to make her the pretty thing behind the super dudes and that really sucks..

Aquaman had a beast introduction.  Gal Gadot and Jason Momoa will drag the DCEU kicking and screaming over the finish line.

• Like 1

My favorite part of the movie was Aquaman just casually shitting all over Batman.   Like, 'okay, you have no powers, so let Diana and I take care of this'. 

Also, Supes repeating the "Do you bleed" line was fab.  Ezra Miller was great as the wide-eyed new guy, doing well while showing he's got a lot to learn still. Wonder Woman is still the tops and it was very good having Batman push her to be better than she already is. Bruce should know he's got an ace in Diana, and he also knows how to push people when needed (as he did with everyone else). 

Steppenwolf was eh.   But, I'm generally okay with this, because:  a) they needed a jobber for their first match, b) they laid the seeds for a much better villain in Darkseid, and 

Spoiler

c) the fucking LEGION OF DOOM is coming!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

My favorite part of the movie was Aquaman just casually shitting all over Batman.   Like, 'okay, you have no powers, so let Diana and I take care of this'. 

Also, Supes repeating the "Do you bleed" line was fab.  Ezra Miller was great as the wide-eyed new guy, doing well while showing he's got a lot to learn still. Wonder Woman is still the tops and it was very good having Batman push her to be better than she already is. Bruce should know he's got an ace in Diana, and he also knows how to push people when needed (as he did with everyone else). 

Steppenwolf was eh.   But, I'm generally okay with this, because:  a) they needed a jobber for their first match, b) they laid the seeds for a much better villain in Darkseid, and 

Reveal hidden contents

c) the fucking LEGION OF DOOM is coming!

There are no words for how much I am looking forward to:

Spoiler

PjpUd.jpg

TBH, the best way for the DCEU to separate itself from the MCU would be going with the Legion of Doom rather than Darkseid as their BBEG. 

Using an uber powerful alien overlord as their Omega Level threat would draw unfair comparisons to Thanos even though Darkseid came first and Thanos is a rip-off of Darkseid.

Saw JL over the weekend. Family loved it. Only character that was panned by the family was Batman. Overall the film was good and was worth the money to see it in the theaters.

Also the story of the movie being how important Superman is not just to the Justice League but to the world was very well done. The opening to the movie might be one of my favorite openings in a while. 

I think the DCEU is going to continue on for awhile. I mean we have Flash and Aquaman are mostly in the can and will be ready for 2018, Wonder Woman 2 in 2019 so they should be on better financial footing. Losing Affleck is probably good for the DCEU as they could get away with never actually doing a standalone Batman or Superman movie even though I do want a proper Man of Steel 2 and I still want the DC Movie Universe to have a random cameo on the DC CW shows when The Flash goes on a random multiverse trip.

I saw JL yesterday!

The only memorable parts were:

1. Barry's slowly dawning "Ohhhh fuck" expression when Supes started moving at his speed during the fight.

2. Green Lanterns being so bland that not a single person mentioned one appears in the movie before I watched it.

Wait, this just occurred to me:

Are we supposed to presume that the Barry that uses the speedforce to contact Bruce in BvS was warning him about reanimated Pet Semetary Clark, and that he'd need Lois there to fix his psychotic break? So, that Barry came from a timeline where Clark broke Bruce's neck and distracted the League from Steppenwolf allowing Earth to fall? 

Did I just put more thought into this than they did? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm glad people in this thread (mostly) enjoyed Justice League. I just saw it and I don't want to be a punch bowl pooper so I'll leave it at I hated it. Like it was worse than Suicide Squad, and I thought SS was the lowest low bar superhero movies could hit. Snyder's entire aesthetic is awful  and Whedon's "Look at me! I'm so clever and quippy!" act has reached its sell by date. To me, Wonder Woman was a near perfect movie but the CGI Boss Fight at the end was pretty much universally despised...this movie is one CGI Boss Fight after the other with a bunch of poorly written nonsensical plot developments/character introductions pasted between. Just terrible.

Speaking of WW, I think the thing that offended me most about this movie was how Jenkins created a beautifully crafted superhero fable about a strong gorgeous woman who was somebody boys and girls could both look up to. Then Snyder comes along like a cameraman from the Attitude Era and continuously shoots upskirts and leering close-ups of Gadot's ass. If I was DC, I'd back up a truck to Jenkins' and beg her to take over the inevitable JLA2 because I think she's the only filmmaker they've hired so far who "gets it."

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

Wait, this just occurred to me:

Are we supposed to presume that the Barry that uses the speedforce to contact Bruce in BvS was warning him about reanimated Pet Semetary Clark, and that he'd need Lois there to fix his psychotic break? So, that Barry came from a timeline where Clark broke Bruce's neck and distracted the League from Steppenwolf allowing Earth to fall? 

Did I just put more thought into this than they did? 

Having not seen the movie at all, but knowing how significantly it was reworked and piecing together the bits from promos that don’t show up in it, my guess is that the reason they picked such a lame villain in Steppenwolf is because stopping Evil Superman was going to be the bigger problem.  But then everybody hated BvS, so JL got reworked so that bringing back Superman is a subplot to lame ass Steppenwolf.

So what I’m saying is, if any of the foreshadowing from BvS lines up with JL at all, it’s probably pure luck and the least of their concerns in getting this movie made.

• Like 1

I could swear I read somewhere that the Flash scene in BvS was only there to get people talking. Like, there wasn't much thought that went into it beyond that. You're supposed to go, "Woah, it's the Flash! The Scarlet Speedster! And he's traveling through time and space to tell Bruce to get the band together!" and that's literally all they did that scene for.

Don't expect any explanation for it or a callback to that moment in BvS.

On 11/24/2017 at 6:06 PM, pipGofern said:

Speaking of WW, I think the thing that offended me most about this movie was how Jenkins created a beautifully crafted superhero fable about a strong gorgeous woman who was somebody boys and girls could both look up to. Then Snyder comes along like a cameraman from the Attitude Era and continuously shoots upskirts and leering close-ups of Gadot's ass. If I was DC, I'd back up a truck to Jenkins' and beg her to take over the inevitable JLA2 because I think she's the only filmmaker they've hired so far who "gets it."

After all the good that the her movie did if this is the route they took then I hope they don't have her interact with JL again.  Just let Jenkins keep making her movies and leave her out of anything else.

I would consider seeing JL but don't care for Snyder's work at all.  I find it best to not bother with DC movies unless I know he didn't work on it.

What was up with Affleck in this? His face was so bloated and everytime he was in the suit it was even more obvious with his Jo Shishido cheeks sticking out of the mask. 

When we were leaving the theater I told my brother’s wife “Zack Snyder and his lame ass cover songs.” I can’t even remember what song it was playing over the credits but after we saw the first post credit deal I was like fuck this I can’t take anymore of this song let’s go. 

I’m starting to think it’s some kind of homage to his style of directing which contains almost no originality much like a cover song. 

I didn't know notice any particular leering shots of Gadot. There's a little bit of forced sexual tension with Bruce, and Aquaman's lasso of truth comment, but aside from that they really frame Diana as a matriarchal figure more than anything else. Which isn't ideal either to be fair. I don't think the WW brand came out of the movie tarnished in any way, at any rate.