DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Honestly, I struggle to think of any Marvel stuff I like on a DC level. X-Men and GotG taken as a whole, in the same sense as I would view the Legion as a whole for DC. Black Panther. Daredevil. Maybe Spider-man. DC has Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash Family, Green Lanterns, Green Arrow...I think the Batfam alone has more standouts for me than the entirety of Marvel.

I like both and read plenty from both, but in terms of character biases I'm 100% DC.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

hi.

3790615-0630477863-tumbl.gif

somebody at work made this same claim.

IMO Clooney had the worst performance under the cowl.
Affleck's Batman was the least Batman-like.  Affleck himself did fine.

at least Clooney-Bat wasn't outright shooting people.

Keaton had a take on Batman. It's not necessarily congruous with the way we think about the character all of the time, but it's a take. His Batman is kind of like an Elseworld's version of the character where Bruce is deeply neurotic and uses theatricality to compensate for not having the phenomenal natural athleticism one associates with Batman.

Kilmer seems pretty lost as Bruce and just works within the framework Keaton built for Batman.

Clooney didn't know why he was doing the movie other than WB said so, and he had no one creatively helping him out anywhere on the production. His Batman voice is indistinguishable from his Bruce voice, and he's given very little to do as either iteration of the character. There's not a lot of it that's his fault, but it doesn't seem like he cared either. 

Bale is very good in Begins, but his work in the other two films has been picked apart before and it's become very well established that the Bat voice gets increasingly ridiculous. He does give three distinguishable interesting performances as Batman, public Bruce, and private Bruce. 

Affleck was very uneven, but he also had to deal with a lot of creative decisions that weren't in his control and seemed to wear him down. 

Anyway, Adam West is a golden god. 

32 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Was there a plan at some point to do a third Keaton Batman movie. It was always weird to have that tease at the end with Catwoman and then it went nowhere.

Keaton went in for a costume fitting for Forever before WB basically dismissed Burton over the reaction to the darkness of Returns. At that point it was a similar premise, but Billy Dee would be Two-Face and Robin Williams would be Riddler. Rene Russo was going to be the love interest until they decided she was too old for Kilmer and replaced her with Nicole Kidman. I think Marlon Wayans was still the front runner for Robin at that time. 

The only discussion about Catwoman returning that I remember was a possible cameo in the abandoned follow-up to Batman & Robin that would have had Bruce seeing visions of the rogues gallery during a fear toxin attack from Scarecrow. 

The ending of Returns was a studio note that was tacked on after the film wrapped. That's not even Michelle Pffeiffer in the suit. WB definitely intended to leave the door open for a sequel since they shot themselves in the foot letting Joker die.

• Like 1

To add to the post above: 

Wayans apparently still gets royalties from Returns and Forever. He was cast in Returns by Burton, but the character was cut. I guess he’d signed a contract or something and gets paid for it. 

Also, Burton wanted Brad Dourif for Scarecrow, which is awesome. 

6 hours ago, Log said:

To add to the post above: 

Wayans apparently still gets royalties from Returns and Forever. He was cast in Returns by Burton, but the character was cut. I guess he’d signed a contract or something and gets paid for it. 

Also, Burton wanted Brad Dourif for Scarecrow, which is awesome. 

And Schumacher apparently wanted Jeff Goldblum or Howard Stern for Scarecrow, AND Madonna playing Harley Quinn or The Joker's Daughter, depending on what you read, which would've been... something.  

RIP Batman Triumphant. 

On 12/5/2017 at 3:58 AM, twiztor said:

somebody at work made this same claim.

IMO Clooney had the worst performance under the cowl.
Affleck's Batman was the least Batman-like.  Affleck himself did fine.

at least Clooney-Bat wasn't outright shooting people.

Keaton-Bat was though. Also lighting them on fire and smiling delightedly.

I can see arguments for hating Batfleck, but there hasn't really been a film Batman who hasn't killed at least a few dudes with some level of intent. I feel like Batfleck was on the Mike Barr/Jim Starlin kick where Batman wouldn't outright try to murder someone but wouldn't go out of his way to save them or protect them either. Basically one who wouldn't cut Joker's throat but wouldn't have thrown a rope at him in The Dark Knight either. Anyway, for all the criticisms this is a weird one to me.

Also, Clooney Batman is a super solid spiritual successor to Adam West. Same voice both ways, brings the camp, has that weird 'just walking around normal settings as Batman' vibe. Only the Clooney stuff as Bruce dealing with Alfred's impending death is legit great. I stand by Batman and Robin probably being the best of the 89-series films.

• Like 1