DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

At this point I'm really wondering why they haven't tapped *anyone* that put Crisis on Earth-X together to direct something, since that whole Berlanti-verse has DC nailed and smokes everything the big "name" directors have produced, and I've actually *liked* the DC Movies thus far.

• Like 1

Finally got around to Justice League tonight.

You know what? It was fine. Nothing special, but better than MoS and way the fuck better than BvS.  

Steppenwolf was pretty worthless, but not any moreso than, like, half of the villains from the last decade of comic book movies.

Edit: Also, this is out there now.

I really hope they didn't actually fire a man while he kept working on a movie after the death of his child. That's a whole new level of cruel.

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Finally got around to Justice League tonight.

You know what? It was fine. Nothing special, but better than MoS and way the fuck better than BvS.  

Steppenwolf was pretty worthless, but not any moreso than, like, half of the villains from the last decade of comic book movies.

Edit: Also, this is out there now.

I really hope they didn't actually fire a man while he kept working on a movie after the death of his child. That's a whole new level of cruel.

Same here.  Awful what happened to the Snyders. Thoughts be with them.

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Probably not. The news he reported then was more or less said in 2016 after BvS' failure and Johns' rose in position. We pretty much knew a year and half ago JL was going to be Snyder's last DC film.

Yeah, there was no way there was going to be a graceful transition from Snyder's vision because they went into production on JL a week or two after BvS was released. The reshoots and post production cuts were just compounded by Snyder's personal loss and absence. I don't think they seized on the opportunity of him having to take a sabbatical to get rid of him. 

On 2/10/2018 at 11:33 AM, Captain Kronos said:

I think Lobo is one of those characters I have never warmed to. I think I must not have been reading DC at the right age to develop those nostalgia muscles. Whenever he shows up now, I know I am supposed to think he's just as cool as Wolverine. 

Oh, well. 

The problem with Lobo is that he's at best a foil for others, at worst a dumb joke about 'kewl' characters, but he grew enough unironic fandom that he had to be treated seriously.  As someone for Superman or Adam Strange or Vril Dox to butt heads with, he's fucking awesome.  As the hero of the story he makes me want to break things.  With the right script I could actually see Bay making a really fun movie where Lobo gets lots of great lines and kills but still is the butt of the jokes...but I have no faith in WB and Bay to put together that kind of project.

• Like 1

I assume for now that sidelines Babs completely, because the reports were they were only doing it because Whedon wanted to.

He's co-writing the next Buffy season/series, and still has that "female Victorian Batman" comic they announced like two years ago. Dr. Horrible 2 is always a possibility. There was that project he was supposed to do with Warren Ellis God knows how long ago now. I can't imagine he wouldn't be able to get something off the ground with Hulu/Netflix/Prime if he wanted to.

Or hell Warner might want to redirect him into something else DC.

You would think writers didn't do it at least twelve times a year for decades.

I'm guessing it's a mixture of WB probably deciding a female writer/director was better, Whedon cutting his losses and getting out of DC movie productions in a self effacing way, and his awareness that scrutiny about him maybe not being such a great feminist would increase again. 

So former Black Panther: World of Wakanda writer Roxanne Gay tweeted about being interested in writing Batgirl. WB VP Michelle Williams responded with contact request. So this might really be happening based off a tweet.

She has no experience writing for movies or TV that I can find, so I don't really like her odds of getting handed the keys to a big franchise title.

My guess is this movie just kinda fades away and never happens.  I mean, I'm pretty sure the only reason it was happening to begin with is because they offered Joss whatever he wanted to help out with JL and he thought 5 seconds and said, BATGIRL.

4 hours ago, EVA said:

She has no experience writing for movies or TV that I can find, so I don't really like her odds of getting handed the keys to a big franchise title.

My guess is this movie just kinda fades away and never happens.  I mean, I'm pretty sure the only reason it was happening to begin with is because they offered Joss whatever he wanted to help out with JL and he thought 5 seconds and said, BATGIRL.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯