DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

I don't hate the Aquaman costume, but it looks not at all like something a guy who spends a lot of time in water would ever wear.  Does he strip down as he runs towards the nearest body of water?

I'm questioning how technologically advanced Atlantis can be if they haven't figured out the concept of the wetsuit yet.

I thought that the BvS Superman was a pretty big departure from the Man of Steel Superman. I LIKED the MoS Superman. I mean, really liked where they went. By the end of that movie, Superman has found himself, he understands his place in the world, he's ready to be the hero the world needs, even if it means stepping on the toes of the military.

Then in BvS, he's back to doubting himself, he's unsure of himself, he's even mopier (and I argued a ton that Superman wasn't mopey or "emo" in MoS), and by the end, he's on a suicide mission. It's just so wildly inconsistent.

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I thought that the BvS Superman was a pretty big departure from the Man of Steel Superman. I LIKED the MoS Superman. I mean, really liked where they went. By the end of that movie, Superman has found himself, he understands his place in the world, he's ready to be the hero the world needs, even if it means stepping on the toes of the military.

Then in BvS, he's back to doubting himself, he's unsure of himself, he's even mopier (and I argued a ton that Superman wasn't mopey or "emo" in MoS), and by the end, he's on a suicide mission. It's just so wildly inconsistent.

For me, it felt like Snyder moved past the Jesus analogy from MoS to something a little more vague about politics and social activism; you'll never make everyone happy, and your actions could have unintended negative consequences, but if you're acting in good faith and believe in what you're doing it's important to continue to try to positively change your world. 

I think a lot of that was accomplished in MoS, so I, like many others I think, expected Superman to be more like Superman in BvS. You know, all of the truth, justice, and the American way stuff.

Here's some other food for thought...If MoS weren't about Superman and if BvS weren't about Batman and Superman, I think some of BvS is a little easier to swallow. MoS has a compelling story there about an humanoid alien with godlike abilities and how that being fits in with lesser beings and decides that he wants to be a figure for good. That story I think also works just fine for Superman. In BvS though, I think a compelling story is there as well about how humanity reacts to this being, doubts it, and in some cases outright rejects it, and how that being responds to that feedback and responds to a man who wants to try to destroy this godlike being. Unfortunately, that story is garbage when you make it about Superman and Batman while adding in a wildly cartoonish character like Lex.

Some deviation from the source material is fine, but BvS is such a departure from that source material. Just some additional thoughts I had after re-watching BvS recently primarily because my daughter loves Wonder Woman and wanted to see her.

I didn't show her the whole movie, but she dug all of the Wonder Woman stuff I showed her.

I agree with a lot of that Craig. I think when I watched the Ultimate Edition I knew going in it wasn't what I wanted a Batman or Superman movie to be, so I could try to find the silver lining. I do think Clark came off better in the UE due to simple stuff like

Spoiler

Showing him rescuing the wounded victims of the bombing instead of just showing him standing around crying and moving to the next scene.

I do like that in the UE, Superman still...makes...his...ultra...slow...descent...to...ground...level at the capitol building.

Maybe, just maybe, people wouldn't fear you as much if you didn't loom over them so much.

• Like 1

There was an interview published prior to the release of BvS that said they were going for a lighter tone in Justice League and yeah there will be some who think this was because of backlash but whatever the case, Flash is a dude who usually provides some levity. Justice League is always lighter than Batman in Gotham so I hope they do stick with this approach. I think Ezra is a great young actor and I think he's going to kill it. Wonder Woman seems to be a lot of fun wherever she is in this movie or her own movie.

Hopefully SS will be good. DCEU has a chance to get back on the right track.

• Like 1

I'm expecting it to be good, although the marketing and merchandising has been tacky. I know that's a weird thing to say about a comic book property movie, but I think I've reached "Old Man Yells at Cloud" when it comes to Hot Topic t-shirts. 

I am going to see it in theaters and judge for myself.  

The reviews seem to punish SS for not being a Marvel film and I think it is suffering from the shade thrown at BvS.

45 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It's looking like "Pockets of great fun but extremely uneven as a movie."

Which sounds about right considering David Ayer's filmography.  I re-watched "Street Kings" yesterday and nowhere in that film did I see anything that would make me go "Hey, this guy should be directing a $175 million super hero epic."

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

It's got Batman and it's a Will Smith summer movie where he talks about saving the world. There's nothing a critic could write that will keep me from seeing it this weekend.

Funny. I dont think there's a review that could get me to see it, even for free. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Funny. I dont think there's a review that could get me to see it, even for free. 

My standards for an excuse to get a giant cherry coke and shove popcorn in my face for two hours are incredibly low.

I've also been higher on movies the critics haven't cared for this summer anyway so

Spoiler

tumblr_m1og3mTJ2M1ql141xo1_400.gif

• Like 1