DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble 2015

Matt D

Man, I could watch Lesnar hurl dudes around with MEAN GUY FACE on his mug for an hour before getting tired

Hansen in late 80s-early 90s All Japan clubbering — and getting clubbered by — Gordy, Hansen and Kawada would've been a hoot....

• Like 1

I enjoyed the show. I actually marked out for Bubba's return but count me with the people who would've preferred more Bully than Bubba. The ending was... Well, let me put it this way. I was watching in a theatre with the full range of fans from kids to wrestling nerds like me and absolutely nobody liked that finish. So who was it was supposed to please?

Man, I could watch Lesnar hurl dudes around with MEAN GUY FACE on his mug for an hour before getting tired

Hansen in late 80s-early 90s All Japan clubbering — and getting clubbered by — Gordy, Hansen and Kawada would've been a hoot....

His face was so great at the beginning when the stooges were running around. He looked like "I can't believe I'm in this overbooked shit.  Let me just strip the breathing parts out of a few of these people so I can have a respectable fight."

And then he just walked around the ring killing people until everyone settled the fuck down.

• Like 1

I have no idea why they put Bryan in the Rumble in the first place.

I said the same thing tonight. They knew Reigns was probably going to get shit on by the way they laid out the Rumble and having Rock there to save/endorse him. 

Since they know how over Bryan is they should have kept his return until tomorrow night at Raw. With Bryan out of the Rumble I feel the fans would not have been as pissed and would have maybe cheered the Rock and him at the end. With Bryan in the Rumble and the fans getting pissed on you have the same situation as you had last year. 

Now they have to turn Reigns if they want to salvage the build to Mania. 

lol at people thinking WWE should have used Bubba's TNA gimmick, instead of one they actually own. Did anyone really think that was a remote possibility? Just be glad he's most likely getting one final run.

And as for D-Von not being there, isn't he pretty hated backstage?

Well now that my Greg rage has passed... Mostly.

How in gods name did they think the right way to go with this match is it be dominated by Big Show and Kane late? Were they intentionally TRYING to make sure people who are sick of the same old booking and guys would be pissed off? Because this entire thing seems like it was an intentional troll job.

• Like 1

It's not like there was no way out of this.  If they had let Bryan stay in until the final five or so and had him working with Reigns against a bunch of heels to survive, and had his elimination be something epic, like three heels took him out and Reigns was then left alone to survive and also get avenge him.

Maaaaybe there could have been a chance for a different reaction?

Also I think it might help for Reigns to be more beat up when it's over and not so goddamn happy and like "Yeah, of course I won.  I'm that guy!"

Here's my very basic problem with Roman Reigns winning, and really the state of the WWE over the last 7 years or so:

Wrestling (for me at least) works best when there's either an easy story about revenge, redemption or vindication that ends with the good guy winning or a moment that is so amazing that you forget for just one second that this is all cooperative and predetermined.

Nothing about Roman Reigns' journey is either one of those things.

His story heading into the Rumble involved covering Big Show in chairs. And him winning just seemed so inevitable. Nothing about his booking has made me sit up and think "holy fuck this dude is awesome". Instead he just leaves me colder than Randy Orton ever did.

At least Orton is worth a shit in the ring.

This complaint, I can understand.  You don't hate Reigns, you hate what he represents--corporate spiel, looking for the next Cena, etc.  I appreciate that side of the conversation.

Where I disagree with you is the motivation aspect.

Sometimes?  You just simply effing want it.

Take Rollins.  That's a guy who thinks he deserves it and will do anything to get it.  No revenge or vindication involved there.  Just desire.  But it works.

Reigns can easily be the same thing--grew up in wrestling, pursued it, and just really wants it to be the best.

If the writing was really up to snuff--and I agree that it can be bad at times--they could make Reigns/Rollins meet at a crossroads of sorts--where they both go after the brass ring--and then reserve roles in pursuing it

I think it's leading up to that anyway.

And Orton is only good as a psycho heel.  We all know this.  Otherwise, he's pretty dull. :D

This afternoon, I was saying to Matt the worst part about Reigns is you can see it all there.  The look, the athleticism, the natural charisma...  It's obvious why they want to push him to the top.  But it just isn't coming together yet.  He doesn't fill in between his big spots very well.  His selling is pretty basic and doesn't really connect emotionally.  His promos are, at best, mediocre, and often much much worse.

A female friend of mine tonight wandered into my facebook post thread about the Rumble.  She doesn't watch wrestling at all.  After a bit of discussion, she googled Reigns and I'm pretty sure she's going to be imagining him next time her and her husband make a little love.

All the big major pieces for Roman to be a big star there, but god damn is he not ready.  And because they are pushing him so hard, he might be completely beyond salvation by the time he does put it together.

• Like 2

I have no idea why they put Bryan in the Rumble in the first place.

To get you to spend $9.99.

Even if he's not going to win, I don't understand such an early exit. He was about as relevant as Fandango in this match. At this point I wouldn't be surprised to see Bryan in the Andre Battle Royal. Not sure where he really goes from here.

Greggulator, on 26 Jan 2015 - 12:10 AM, said:Greggulator, on 26 Jan 2015 - 12:10 AM, said:

In all honesty, I think a lot of people's opinions on Roman would be totally different if he had something like "Ring Of Honor" and "New Japan" in his resume.

I didn't see the 500 responses to this before posting mine so I'll just let it go.

I'm fairly certain the reason Bryan went out early was because they wanted the fans to burn out their anger before the match was over, unlike the building crescendo last year that crashed down on Rey-Rey and Batista.

It didn't work.

• Like 2

I enjoyed the show. I actually marked out for Bubba's return but count me with the people who would've preferred more Bully than Bubba. The ending was... Well, let me put it this way. I was watching in a theatre with the full range of fans from kids to wrestling nerds like me and absolutely nobody liked that finish. So who was it was supposed to please?

Vince-McMahon-Legs-645x369.jpg

• Like 1

Greggulator, on 26 Jan 2015 - 12:10 AM, said:

In all honesty, I think a lot of people's opinions on Roman would be totally different if he had something like "Ring Of Honor" and "New Japan" in his resume.

I'm sure all the smarks in Philly were cheering Bryan based on the work he did in front of 500 people 10 years ago and not his work in WWE.

I just know that Brock wouldn't have been cheered tonight if he hadn't had that cup of coffee in New Japan to legitimize himself.

I'm betting a good portion of the Philly crowd cheered Daniel Bryan because of his Philly indy time

Half the crowd doesn't know what a Bully Ray is because they've never seen TNA. They reintroduce everyone at the squariest of square ones they can. But there's nothing that says he can't be that character in a month or two.

I'm fairly certain the reason Bryan went out early was because they wanted the fans to burn out their anger before the match was over, unlike the building crescendo last year that crashed down on Rey-Rey and Batista.

It didn't work.

Who could have predicted that bending over backwards to prevent the fans from rebelling would be more difficult than simply giving them what they want?

• Like 1

How in gods name did they think the right way to go with this match is it be dominated by Big Show and Kane late? Were they intentionally TRYING to make sure people who are sick of the same old booking and guys would be pissed off? Because this entire thing seems like it was an intentional troll job.

I'm 99.9% sure Kane, Show and Rusev were the last heels left because they figured nobody would cheer for any of them winning over Reigns. I mean, I hate belaboring the Reigns-isn't-ready point but when you have to intricately construct an entire freakin' Rumble just so your chosen one looks good and doesn't get booed out of the building, perhaps maybe you should re-think who your chosen one is?

The Philly crowd chanting for Rusev almost makes up for the travesty of the match. Almost.

• Like 1

This afternoon, I was saying to Matt the worst part about Reigns is you can see it all there.  The look, the athleticism, the natural charisma...  It's obvious why they want to push him to the top.  But it just isn't coming together yet.  He doesn't fill in between his big spots very well.  His selling is pretty basic and doesn't really connect emotionally.  His promos are, at best, mediocre, and often much much worse.

A female friend of mine tonight wandered into my facebook post thread about the Rumble.  She doesn't watch wrestling at all.  After a bit of discussion, she googled Reigns and I'm pretty sure she's going to be imagining him next time her and her husband make a little love.

All the big major pieces for Roman to be a big star there, but god damn is he not ready.  And because they are pushing him so hard, he might be completely beyond salvation by the time he does put it together.

Exactly. Perfectly stated. 

My wife caught the last half of the Rumble match(she doesn't watch wrestling anymore) and when Reigns won she looked at me and said she sees why Vince would want him on top. Then made the comment that he is another one of Vince's BJ boys(her exact wording). She couldn't believe that if the crowd was going to shit on him why push him like that, other than Vince's man crush.  

• Like 1

lol at people thinking WWE should have used Bubba's TNA gimmick, instead of one they actually own. Did anyone really think that was a remote possibility? Just be glad he's most likely getting one final run.

And as for D-Von not being there, isn't he pretty hated backstage?

It's the opposite. You'll hear from various people in the wrestling industry that say everyone liked D'von backstage, and Buh Buh was the guy who made enemies.

• Like 2