DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

I don't get the hate for the Full Sail crowd (except for when Mojo had his huge cheering section on camera).  Are they smarky?  Yep, but they add something fun to the show in my opinion.  I like the fact they're glass half-full rather than glass half-empty.  Where else would a majority of people shout down people trying to start a "Leo Kruger" chant at Adam Rose.

1. Gronk is the best.  How could you hate him?

2. I question their taste in wrestling.  It sort of worries me that you HAVE to get over in front of that crowd to get out of development.  

3. The NXT crowd really does kind of suck.  They can sometimes make a segment, but just as often they try to get a chant over at the expense of the angle.  Or shout over a promo when these wrestlers are trying to learn how to talk in front of crowds.  

Hipsterism is alive and well at DVDVR. When something becomes popular, some people gotta find reasons to hate, even stupid reasons like "the crowd is too into wrestling".

Or... you know.. people have different opinions about the pro wrestling.

I honestly think the show would be better if they moved around every once in a while.  Even just moving half of the tapings elsewhere would do wonders for the show.  It would probably be good for the development of some of these wrasslers, too.

• Like 1

I think it's a Greek thing. Trish was never hotter than when she turned on Jericho for Christian.

I'm going to have to look this up. If Alexa is Greek I'm going to be a super happy guy. First Trish, then Alexa? Hell, yeah, man, it's nice to be Greek sometimes.

I ehco this sentiment. Between Greek food, Greek women, and having a yia yia that makes you the center of her universe, it's very nice sometimes.

Hipsterism is alive and well at DVDVR. When something becomes popular, some people gotta find reasons to hate, even stupid reasons like "the crowd is too into wrestling".

I honestly think the show would be better if they moved around every once in a while.  Even just moving half of the tapings elsewhere would do wonders for the show.  It would probably be good for the development of some of these wrasslers, too.

This is pretty much the TNA dilemma, it's cheaper and more efficient to stay in one place, but you're going to get a stale crowd.

Pretty much what you said. Fuck off with that "hipsterism" nonsense. It's not a great crowd, or at least, there's a very loud and vocal contingent there that consistently try to make the show about them. They even gave themselves a name, "Wrestling Central" and brag about how they "owned" NXT. So then other people see that shit and then try to do the same thing. It's ridiculous.

Keep in mind, this is the same crowd that went wild for Baron Corbin before and now chants the smarkiest shit at him. And of course, the "Brooklyn Sucks" chants.

• Like 1

I actually don't hate the Full Sail crowd, but for every shouting down of a few idiots, singing of Becky Lynch's music to give her some love, or "Father of the Year!" chant, there is a case where they try a little too hard to get themselves over instead of enjoying the action itself or being selfish about other people getting NXT shows.

They could definitely be worse, though. 

• Like 3

Pretty much what you said. Fuck off with that "hipsterism" nonsense. It's not a great crowd, or at least, there's a very loud and vocal contingent there that consistently try to make the show about them. They even gave themselves a name, "Wrestling Central" and brag about how they "owned" NXT. So then other people see that shit and then try to do the same thing. It's ridiculous.

Keep in mind, this is the same crowd that went wild for Baron Corbin before and now chants the smarkiest shit at him. And of course, the "Brooklyn Sucks" chants.

And real quick, yeah, I really like the post-WM crowd. They're entertaining. The difference is that it's one show as opposed to multiple NXT shows.

And real quick, yeah, I really like the post-WM crowd. They're entertaining. The difference is that it's one show as opposed to multiple NXT shows.

So just to recap, the wildly enthusiastic crowd that has turned on Baron Corbin SINCE HIS HEEL TURN is terrible, but the crowd which chanted "YOU SUCK CENA/BRYAN" at the Bellas this year is "entertaining".

K.

• Like 2

I don't get the hate for the Full Sail crowd (except for when Mojo had his huge cheering section on camera).  Are they smarky?  Yep, but they add something fun to the show in my opinion.  I like the fact they're glass half-full rather than glass half-empty.  Where else would a majority of people shout down people trying to start a "Leo Kruger" chant at Adam Rose.

1. Gronk is the best.  How could you hate him?

2. I question their taste in wrestling.  It sort of worries me that you HAVE to get over in front of that crowd to get out of development.  

3. The NXT crowd really does kind of suck.  They can sometimes make a segment, but just as often they try to get a chant over at the expense of the angle.  Or shout over a promo when these wrestlers are trying to learn how to talk in front of crowds.  

re 2.: Why?  Questioning their taste in wrestling sounds like some elitist bullshit.  When have they been behind someone who has outright sucked?  (Ok, there was odd love for Ascension.) They popped for Samoa Joe and booed Eva Marie mercilessly.  If you can't get over in front of a small crowd that is predisposed to like whatever gets put in front of them, then how over will you get on the main roster?

re:3 This seems to be repetitive of #2.  They do get annoying from time to time, but they almost never (to my recollection) just start randomly chanting stuff like the announcers' names or the name of a guy who left months ago.  And again, if the chants of a small crowd throw you off, how are you going to survive on the main roster?

I might get into this a bit more later when I have the time.

One thing I will touch on.  They overrate things they can play along with.  In a vacuum it's not a big deal, but it certainly makes it harder for people who don't catch on with some quirky thing right away.  Or, you know, the guys who need to actually develop without relying on some crutch*.

Is a guy like Crowe just not fit for the WWE? Maybe, but he was really, really good a few years ago.  It's on him to win the fans over, but, if he doesn't win THESE fans over, he's not going to get a real chance. 

With the success of NXT, and whether they want to be or not, this crowd has somehow turned into a gimmick gatekeeper of sorts.  I'm not sure how that happened, but it did...... and I don't trust these goofs to decide who is and isn't worth it.

Edit: *EVA with the perfect example below.

So just to recap, the wildly enthusiastic crowd that has turned on Baron Corbin SINCE HIS HEEL TURN is terrible, but the crowd which chanted "YOU SUCK CENA/BRYAN" at the Bellas this year is "entertaining".

K.

Chanting "you can't wrestle" and whatever other bullshit they've chanted at Corbin in the most smarky way possible for multiple weeks, and this started BEFORE Corbin even turned heel, is not the same as giving someone a heel reaction. There are times that the crowd plays along and they do a good job in doing so, but that rather large contingent treats NXT like it's a TNA show and it's lame. The Brooklyn Sucks shit is especially lame for all the reasons Banks and Owens pointed out.

One thing I will touch on.  They overrate things they can play along with.  

I hate to bag on a crowd for playing along enthusiastically with the show, but I thought the reaction to Tye Dillinger's new gimmick was just absurdly over the top.

Like no offense to Dillinger, who's fine I guess, but that was so clearly a "It's been a long taping and we're bored, but here's something new and goofy to play along with" reaction, and now we're going to get a Dillinger push that I don't think anybody will care about a month from now because of it.

• Like 1

The NXT crowd really does kind of suck. They can sometimes make a segment, but just as often they try to get a chant over at the expense of the angle. Or shout over a promo when these wrestlers are trying to learn how to talk in front of crowds.

This rings false. There're jerk-offs in every crowd that will be audible to the talent in the ring. The workers can roll with the punches or they can get gone.

Thankfully, Owens' rant was a great way of rolling with the punches. No reason to read into things beyond that.

Bagging on Solomon Crowe is a horrible reason to hate on the Full Sail crowd, because he hasn't been given a good gimmick/total package yet. The hacker thing was abandoned, his original finisher was changed, even patron saint Kevin Owens ragged on him.

When was the Full Sail crowd ragging on Baron before the heel turn? I remember hearing that was happening on the house shows, but he was getting the counting chants until shortly before the turn.

Booing cool matches being announced as taking place elsewhere happens on Raw too.

As for Dillinger, what would you prefer? They act tired and bored and chant for Corey Graves or get into the match?

• Like 1

Why wouldn't the crowd be upset? They sit through the marathon tapings that hammer over and over that the important stuff is going to be somewhere else. Of course they're going to get annoyed.

I wish that I had the opportunity to sit through those tapings for cheap/free. I don't feel sympathy for them.