DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I have no interest in MMA or Punk's foray in to it, but I am already looking forward to his podcast interview three years from now complaining about his relationship with Dana White and talking about how shady he is.

It's weird to think that the one guy who he didn't burn his bridge with on the way out was....Gabe?!

C'mon Punk, can't you give us a few days without some newz to endlessly discuss/gossip/speculate about.

So last night I realized that the only current WWE main roster wrestler whose matches are always must watch for me is Emma.

I can relate.  It's not quite that bad for me, but, yeah, I could care less about seeing most of the guys getting pushes right now.  Harper, Rollins, Wyatt, Ambrose, etc. seem to be getting crowd reactions, so they probably should be pushed, but they don't do it for me personally.  I still enjoy Cena matches a lot (promos, not so much) and Usos.  Cesaro would probably hook me in if I didn't expect him to job when the opponent is above the level of Fandango or Tyson Kidd.  Other than that, not much in the company is compelling (to me) right now.

I can maybe see the arguments against Wyatt and Rollins (Even if I don't particularly agree with them) but I cannot in any universe fathom being a pro wrestling fan and not being into either Ambrose or Harper (Much less both of them!?!).

FWIW, I really don't have "arguments" against any of them.  I'm fairly neutral about most of the latest call-ups.  I don't think any of them are awful and I don't really disagree with pushing these guys, as they're mostly connecting with the audience and getting over.  But I don't really care that much about 90+ percent of the roster and I don't have much interest in watching matches in a vacuum.  Basically, the product as a whole doesn't strike me as overly compelling.  When I miss tv or a PPV, I don't really feel like I'm missing much.

• Like 1

man, the hate that Punk gets just for signing with UFC is incredible. And it's kind of sad on everyone's part. Why can't you just be happy for the dude instead of wishing ill will on him or hoping his new career path fails?

I think that's the petty thing we should be talking about, not Vince "wishing the best" for Punk.

• Like 4

I actually give Punk a whole lot of credit for being willing to get his face punched in for any amount of money. I also think it's cool that he's going for one of his dreams because as far as we know, you only live once.

HOWEVER, can't I also eagerly await the inevitable knockout/submission of a guy with only a bit of BJJ background while I simultaneously give him credit for giving this thing a shot?

Yeah, but that isn't the norm with the internet and you know it :P I'm not comparing his skill level to Lesnar in the UFC, but his situation right now is a lot like when Lesnar got signed after one pro fight.

Brock won his first fight by submission I think. It's too bad there's no smaller women's division for AJ to compete in.

Rousey needs to come over to pro wrestling for two or three years. I'd pay to see Rousey/Bayley, Rousey/Banks, Rousey/Charlotte, Rousey/Paige, Rousey/AJ, and Rousey/Nikki Bella. Shoot, I bet Rousey/Alicia Fox would be fun too. 

• Like 1

Not for nothing but Scorpio Sky seems to be doing alright in MMA, he is currently 2-0.  Now its amateur and not UFC by any means but a pro wrestler can make the transition.

Scorpio Sky had an amateur wrestling background.

What happened to Punk being banged up and concussed? This is an incredibly STUPID midlife crisis that might result in him actually getting hurt. 

It's been 10 months since he's worked. He's obviously healed up by now. And pro wrestling is generally rougher on the body than MMA is.

I get that but if I were 36 years old, banged up and had a history of multiple concussions, I'd want to stay away from things that might involve getting more concussions. 

Best of luck to him and I'll root for him but I have a genuine worry for his safety. I'm into watching dudes get legit hurt, 

You're into some kinky shit.

Freudian slip. :P

Anyway, Jason David Frank wants to fight Punk. 

Green Ranger vs. CM Punk would be my childhood fighting my teenage years. 

After listening to both podcasts I know Punk's still a wrestler at heart, so it wouldnt surprise me if his objective was to try to be mid 90's Brian Pillman of today. Punk knows he's representing the business in spite of him bashing it like Brock did. Guys like JR to the Rock to 'Taker all supported Brock thoughout his UFC run so Im sure Punk will get the same. If he win only one fight he'll be a success and if he doesnt win any I dont think he'll be the laughing stalk of Pro Wrestling overall.

This is UFCs version of Andy Kauffman coming to Memphis.