DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase II Discussion

RIPPA

I'm going to see it tomorrow. The only phase 2 movie I didn't see was Winter Soldier (I know, I know.) Trying to squeeze it in before I go, but the Hydra stuff was more or less spoiled for me and I don't think it'll confuse matters much.

About 2/3rds of this movie was the equivalent of the airplane scene from Superman Returns. The other 1/3 was about making that 2/3rds all the more impressive since it grounded the characters in their humanity.

Works for me, especially because this is a world where we can have Guardians AND Daredevil too.

• Like 1

Here is something matt and i were just talking about, so I will throw it out here.

Is Marvel/Disney powerful enough to prevent theaters from showing the Superman/Batman trailer before the Avengers movie?

Ever since I was kid I loved all the mythology with Excalibur/King Arthur/sword in the stone so I eat up all the jokes and references to Thor's hammer, Mjölnir in this movie.

http://www.businessinsider.com/who-can-lift-thors-hammer-2015-5

There were audible "Oh!" and laughter with the audience I watched it with when...

...Vision nonchalantly picks up Thor's hammer and hands it to him.  They did a good job building up its significance earlier in the film.  People get why it's a big deal now when it happens.

Here is something matt and i were just talking about, so I will throw it out here.

Is Marvel/Disney powerful enough to prevent theaters from showing the Superman/Batman trailer before the Avengers movie?

It played when I saw it. Along with Ant-Man, Star Wars, and Southpaw.

Well, "lead female character has a complicated romantic relationship with a guy who is also a monster" is kinda Joss's wheelhouse.

I guess hulk will turn evil if she sleeps with him, right? Maybe turn into joe fix-it?

• Like 1

Almost the same thing here except instead of Southpaw we had Insidious 3.

Well, "lead female character has a complicated romantic relationship with a guy who is also a monster" is kinda Joss's wheelhouse.

I guess hulk will turn evil if she sleeps with him, right? Maybe turn into joe fix-it?

THERE YA GO.

Oddly enough, Joss wanted Grey Hulk in the film for the city destruction scene/fight. But marvel eventually decided no on that.

We got Tomorrowland.

I thought it was a good movie. Dragged slightly but still good. The Hulk vs Hulk Buster fight was awesome.

Is there an American cultural reference to the Hulkbuster being called Veronica? Because I heard there might be one. Something to do with Veronica being the enemy of Betty and Banner's unattainable ideal female being called Betty.

Tony Stark always used to call Jarvis 'Jarvis' in the middle of battles, but did he ever once call Friday 'Friday'? And are all these names really acronyms or does he just put the dots in to make them look cool?

Is there an American cultural reference to the Hulkbuster being called Veronica? Because I heard there might be one. Something to do with Veronica being the enemy of Betty and Banner's unattainable ideal female being called Betty.

It's a reference to Archie Comics. Archie was in a neverending love triangle with two girls named Betty and Veronica. Betty is a girl next door type, while Veronica is kind of a mean girl type.

Bruce Banner's primary love interest was Betty Ross. Thus...Veronica.

We got Tomorrowland.

I thought it was a good movie. Dragged slightly but still good. The Hulk vs Hulk Buster fight was awesome.

Only mainstream trailer we got was Star Wars. Peril of seeing the movie at the Alamo, which owns an indie-distribution machine (everything else I saw a trailer for was an indie film distro'd by Drafthouse Films.) I was starting to wonder if the Ant-Man trailer was running anywhere on Earth but Youtube.