DVDVR Message Board

Actor/Actress Passings That Don't Warrant A Thread

Larry Rydell

It's a weird thing that I can't quite describe right, but I think seeing Taylor Negron playing small parts as weirdos in a certain span of time around 84-86, and not being in a position to know anything about his other work back before you could google someone.  But somehow I still knew this guy was probably amazing just from those little bits he got to be on screen.  Like, it was like the first time my little brain started to realize that thing where astoundingly interesting and funny people filter into the mainstream that way, in weird little bits that only represent a tiny fragment of what they are doing out there somewhere. 

Like, I'm certain there's some dude in his 20s who feels the same way having first seen Brian Posehn on JUST SHOOT ME or Patton Oswalt on THE KING OF QUEENS and then later finding out what they really do.

I didn't know he was the cousin of Chuck Negron from Three Dog Night. He had an enjoyable cameo in the cheap but fun indie flick My Dinner With Jimi, playing an army psychologist who was not amused by the shenanigans. He was one of those actors who always put a bit of zazz into any role he played. RIP

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I was a wee lad in the late 70's Gary Owens hosted a top-40 radio countdown show in LA.  He used to goof on the titles, like he called "It's a Heartache" "It's a Heartburn" and Barry Manilow's "Copacabana" became "the Coke and bananas song."

Strange what stays with us over the years...

This is probably the celebrity death that hit me the most since Misawa in 2009.

Over the weekend I've listened to a lot of his podcast appearances I haven't heard yet, WTF, You Made it Weird, Alison Rosen, and he talks at length about his drug addiction in every single of them. The Pete Holmes one is especially nuts. Fucking heroin.

Ben Woolf - who has been on American Horror Story for 4 years - died after being struck by a car

It's a really sad story as he apparently was hit by a car when jaywalking. He was hit in the head by the car's side mirror. (He was only 4'4")

Ben Woolf - who has been on American Horror Story for 4 years - died after being struck by a car

It's a really sad story as he apparently was hit by a car when jaywalking. He was hit in the head by the car's side mirror. (He was only 4'4")

Don't jaywalk, kids!

It's a real shame, though.  Seems like he was a super nice guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY8r6nqTyIQ

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently Wittels recorded a new CBB like last week and it's up now:

Aukerman's intro had tears in my eyes this morning. Terribly sad

Sorry, to bring this up again, but just wanted to let you know that Harris Wittels' sister has written a great eulogy that's absolutely worth reading.

Check it out, if you haven't seen it yet:

https://medium.com/@stephaniewittelswachs/a-eulogy-for-harris-b73aae08b3e