DVDVR Message Board

Actor/Actress Passings That Don't Warrant A Thread

Larry Rydell

Rest In Peace to Richard "Jaws" Kiel:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/richard-kiel-best-remembered-as-the-james-bond-villian-jaws-dies-at-74/2014/09/11/ce4ba294-39bc-11e4-9c9f-ebb47272e40e_story.html

Also, farewell to Charles Keating, who played Carl on the soap opera Another World:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/12/showbiz/charles-keating-obit/

And for some odd reason, Oscar winning director (and occasional actor) Richard Attenborough died on August 24th and didn't get a thread, even though he, you know, directed Gandhi, one of the greatest films ever:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/24/showbiz/richard-attenborough-dead/index.html

• Like 1

Moonraker. Still one of my favorite Bond films for Lois Chiles outfits and the fantastic Bond vs Jaws aerial battle.

• 2 weeks later...

Geoffrey Holder, Baron Samedi in Live And Let Die and 7Up spokesman, possessor of the world's second greatest laugh (next to Satanico) , recently passed at the age of 84. I honestly never knew he was the director of the Broadway production of The Wiz (and that he won 2 Tonys, for direction and costume design). He was also a very busy choreographer. Quite the multi talented guy. Cheers and RIP.

• Like 2

Geoffrey Holder, Baron Samedi in Live And Let Die and 7Up spokesman, possessor of the world's second greatest laugh (next to Satanico) , recently passed at the age of 84.

The man stole every scene he was in when he was in Boomerang.  RIP to the man that made UnCola cool.

• Like 1

Geoffrey Holder, Baron Samedi in Live And Let Die and 7Up spokesman, possessor of the world's second greatest laugh (next to Satanico) , recently passed at the age of 84.

The man stole every scene he was in when he was in Boomerang.  RIP to the man that made UnCola cool.

I looked him up in Wikipedia and found that, on top of what I had already mentioned, he was a painter, dancer, composer, photographer, author, cookbook writer and art collector. His choreography credits include the Alvin Ailey Company and The Cosby Show (I'm guessing that Sean Cheeseman-esque African Jazz Carribean opening credits sequence). He was a principal dancer for the Metropolitain Opera Ballet. He won a Guggenheim Fellowship in fine arts for his painting and among his patrons were William F. Buckley and Lena Horne. When he won his 2 Tony Awards for directing and costume design, he was the first ever black man to be nominated for those awards. He had been married for 59 years at the time of his passing, so we can possibly add good husband to his list of accomplishments. Sweet Christmas, I looked him up to see what else he had done, and came away wondering exactly what it was that I had done with my life.

• Like 2

This is sad.  I think Jan was like the female Phil Hartman in that she was a great utility player on SNL.  The both of them were in just about every sketch.  I forget if they said that she set the record for like playing four bimbos in one episode.

Also, without her, how would we know all the uses of corn and the fact there's no basement in the Alamo.

I didn't realize she was the original voice for Apu's wife Manjula.

• Like 1

Elizabeth Pena was one of my first crush's as well. La Bamba and *batteries not Included were great films of my childhood. Also the first film I saw going back to school in my film classes was Lone Star. Amazing film she did with Chris Cooper. If you've never seen it, you should.

Damn.  Elizabeth Pena was so hot in Jacob's Ladder.... until she turned into a gargoyle.

RIP.

She has a prominent role in the El Rey Network series, Matador.  I wonder what they are going to do with her character?

Marcia Strassman passed away at 66 from a long battle with breast cancer

For those of old enough to remember - she was Kotter's wife on Welcome Back Kotter.

For those of a younger set - she was the Mom in "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids"

For those of old enough to remember - she was Kotter's wife on Welcome Back Kotter.

Damn, now I am sad.  I always liked the chemistry between Kaplan and Strassman and hoped I'd get a wife that laughed at my jokes like Mrs. Kotter did.

I think that Mr. & Mrs. Kotter were my favorite television "married couple."

RIP.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Richard Schaal, an early member of Chicago’s famed Second City comedy troupe who appeared often on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and its spinoffs Rhoda — which starred his then wife, Valerie Harper — and Phyllis, has died. He was 86.

Schaal died Tuesday at the Motion Picture and Television Fund home in Woodland Hills, his daughter, American Dad! voice actress Wendy Schaal, told the Chicago Tribune.

Schaal was married three times, including to Harper (his second wife) from 1964 until their divorce in 1978. He was the first of Harper's two husbands.

The actor also appeared in such films as Norman Jewison’s The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming (1966), George Roy Hill’s Slaughterhouse-Five (1972) and Once Bitten (1985), starring Lauren Hutton and Jim Carrey.

Schaal played Howard Arnell and his twin brother Paul, both of whom dated Mary Richards, in separate episodes of CBS’ Mary Tyler Moore Show, and he was WJM kids show host Chuckles the Clown on the 1970 installment The Show Must Go On, in which Mary has to produce the station’s election coverage in an emergency.

On Rhoda, Schall portrayed Charlie Burke, an annoying pal of Rhoda’s husband Joe (David Groh). And on Phyllis, he was Leo Heatherton, a mistake-prone photographer who worked in the same studio as Cloris Leachman’s title character during that series’ first season.

A native of Chicago, Schaal ran a construction company in the Windy City before hooking up with Second City in 1962. A master of sketch comedy and improvisation, he received a lifetime achievement award from the Chicago Improv Festival in 2010.

In the 1980s, Schaal had regular roles on the ABC sitcom Just Our Luck and on the CBS dramas Trapper John, M.D. and Almost Grown, which was created by David Chase of The Sopranos fame.

He also appeared on such TV shows as The Dick Van Dyke Show, I Dream of Jeannie, That Girl, Banacek and The Rockford Files.

schaal11.jpg

Damn, now I am sad.  I always liked the chemistry between Kaplan and Strassman and hoped I'd get a wife that laughed at my jokes like Mrs. Kotter did.

I think that Mr. & Mrs. Kotter were my favorite television "married couple."

RIP.

You know I sort of felt the same way (granted I saw them in syndication). I think a lot of people did, but in fact, she apparently hated that role since she was basically there to laugh at his jokes and nothing else, which makes it all seem somehow selfish or bittersweet.