DVDVR Message Board

Actor/Actress Passings That Don't Warrant A Thread

Larry Rydell

Richard Schaal, an early member of Chicago’s famed Second City comedy troupe who appeared often on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and its spinoffs Rhoda — which starred his then wife, Valerie Harper — and Phyllis, has died. He was 86.

Schaal died Tuesday at the Motion Picture and Television Fund home in Woodland Hills, his daughter, American Dad! voice actress Wendy Schaal, told the Chicago Tribune.

Schaal was married three times, including to Harper (his second wife) from 1964 until their divorce in 1978. He was the first of Harper's two husbands.

The actor also appeared in such films as Norman Jewison’s The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming (1966), George Roy Hill’s Slaughterhouse-Five (1972) and Once Bitten (1985), starring Lauren Hutton and Jim Carrey.

Schaal played Howard Arnell and his twin brother Paul, both of whom dated Mary Richards, in separate episodes of CBS’ Mary Tyler Moore Show, and he was WJM kids show host Chuckles the Clown on the 1970 installment The Show Must Go On, in which Mary has to produce the station’s election coverage in an emergency.

On Rhoda, Schall portrayed Charlie Burke, an annoying pal of Rhoda’s husband Joe (David Groh). And on Phyllis, he was Leo Heatherton, a mistake-prone photographer who worked in the same studio as Cloris Leachman’s title character during that series’ first season.

A native of Chicago, Schaal ran a construction company in the Windy City before hooking up with Second City in 1962. A master of sketch comedy and improvisation, he received a lifetime achievement award from the Chicago Improv Festival in 2010.

In the 1980s, Schaal had regular roles on the ABC sitcom Just Our Luck and on the CBS dramas Trapper John, M.D. and Almost Grown, which was created by David Chase of The Sopranos fame.

He also appeared on such TV shows as The Dick Van Dyke Show, I Dream of Jeannie, That Girl, Banacek and The Rockford Files.

schaal11.jpg

Ah man, I just marathoned three seasons of Mary Tyler Moore last week.

Carol Ann Susi - probably best known for voicing Mrs. Wolowitz on the Big Bang Theory - died Tuesday morning. She had been battling cancer.

She also was in the Keith Hernandez Seinfeld episode (she was the women who went on the date with George)

• 3 weeks later...

Chespirito -- a.k.a. Roberto Gomez Bolanos -- died Friday in Mexico.

For those who don't know - Chespirito was a comedic legend in Mexico

He was 85

Someone on twitter, i think Fredo, said his show often was a lead-in for wrestling on Galavision.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/31/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/feat-obit-edward-herrmann-dead-gilmore/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Sad to hear that Edward Herrmann passed away.  

You young folks know him best as the dad/grandfather on Gilmore Girls but he was nominated for two Emmys playing Franklin D. Roosevelt, narrated thousands of documentaries and commercials, was the Master Vampire in The Lost Boys, and a hell of a lot of stuff that I'm forgetting at the moment.

She also voiced the main characters' children on Darkwing Duck and The Critic, was the official voice of Birdie the McDonalds mascot for years, was Bunnie Rabbot on Sonic the Hedgehog (the GOOD version, not to be confused with the much shittier Adventures of Sonic that for-some-damn-reason aired at the exact same time), and most heartbreakingly was the voice of Dexter on Dexter's Laboratory.  DIE, MY CHILDHOOD, DIE!  No cause of death has been released yet.