DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Uncanny X-men #600. Generally decent though I'm not fond of where it ended things with very little solved and Bendis dropping hints of more to come that won't actually be used.

Extraordinary X-men #1 & 2. I'm not fond of the main plot, and I hate the involvement of Old Man Logan & Jean. Even with that Lemire writes well enough that I enjoyed these. Even Ramos's art didn't bother me, and I'm not a big fan of his at all. I'll probably keep reading if my brother keeps picking them up.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I really like the involvement of Logan and Jean...I think Extraordinary X-Men is probably my favorite of the ANAD Marvel books I've checked out so far, it feels kinda old school with a good old-fashioned "Sinister wants someone's DNA" plot, which makes it more accessible to a guy like me who hasn't read comics in years cause he got too Bendised- and Crisised-out but decided to give the ANAD stuff a try...I laso like the Inhumans books so far and the first Daredevil is good, but the Spidey stuff and all the Avengers teams is still kinda confusing for me...though I'm really waiting for Squadrom Supreme since I'm totally marking for JMS Nighthawk in the Marvel Universe proper...

so i'm 8 issues into X-Men. yes, i started at the beginning from 1963(ish).

don't really have much commentary, but looking forward to seeing the developments. it's much more slower going than my Batman read was, due to changes at work, but should be entertaining.

Been catching up on some things.

Lando #2-5. Read the first issue months ago and only finished the last four this weekend. It wasn't great, but it was a solid story that built into why Lando decided to become more than rogue/con man.

Kanan Vol. 1 & #7. Like Lando read the first issue months ago and only just catching up now. I thought this was pretty good. Kanan has a good backstory that actually left me liking hima  lot more than the actual show does.

Extraordinary X-men #3. I continue to enjoy this despite wanting Old Man Logan and teen Jean to be no part of it. Even them I still enjoy the writing of. Curse you, Lemire.

All-New X-men #1. This on the other hand did little for me other than continuing to wish the original five to finally be gone. Evan & Idie in particular make little sense on this team as the original five never really got close to any of the students from either school except for Laura. Its weird reading the two as already close to them for no conceivable reason. I can only imagine it happened within the 8 month gap. They still feel off. I did however enjoy Cyclops hunting down a little cult that worships the older him.

Secret Wars #8. That was kind of insane, especially the MK fatality.

Guardians of Infinity #1. Fun start though nothing special. The back-up was decent as well though I could do w/o it.

so i'm 8 issues into X-Men. yes, i started at the beginning from 1963(ish).

don't really have much commentary, but looking forward to seeing the developments. it's much more slower going than my Batman read was, due to changes at work, but should be entertaining.

I've read a good chunk of the SA X-Men. It's easy to see why the book was a failure back then.

In the new episode of the pod, i talk to Todd Rowker from Longbox Heroes about the Xmas Special, S9 as a whole, some Troughton talk and the future. We also talk Secret Wars 8, doom v thanos, best of 2015 comics and a Sophie's Choice decision between Jason Aaron and Brian K Vaughn.

http://www.tinyurl.com/winter21

• Like 1

Speaking as someone who loves most of his work, BKV is overrated. That's not to say he isn't terrific but he's cultivated that Alan Moore level of dickriding when he's not much better than a lot of current creators. I mean, I'd take Scalped over anything I've read by BKV.

Full credit though, he picks amazing collaborators who he gets the best work from and has a real mind for great concepts.

• Like 1

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #3. Spider-Gwen travels to Earth-616 to speak to Jessica Drew’s Spider-Woman, Matt Murdock drops in on Captain George Stacy in Earth-65, Gwen’s world and an old face of Gwen’s returns. There’s a profile page on Matt Murdock. This was a bloody good issue, funny too. The highlight was Gwen and Jessica’s chat. I appreciated Matt Murdock the subject of the profile as he and Gwen are the two best Earth-65 characters. Spider-Gwen rocks.

So I don't know if this is a silly question or not, but here goes.

I've been reading through Secret Warriors recently as I'm planning to catch up on all of Hickman's Marvel stuff before getting to his Avengers run and one random detail sorta irks me: The Howling Commandos.  They were shown being there with Captain America when he stormed the beaches of Normandy and I'm pretty sure that was about 65 years before the book was published.  I know that Cap was frozen for a bit but is there a similar bit of Marvel fiction explaining why they are still in fighting shape, be it also being frozen or some sort of Marvel universe time dilation, or is this just a case of them publishing comics for so long that certain details like this are best not to think about too much?

There's a specific reason given for Nick Fury and Dum-Dum Dugan, though Dugan wasn't revealed until later. I'm not sure about the others, but I haven't read SW and didn't realize any others had appeared in it.

EDITED for clarity: I initially made it look like there was one explanation for both Fury and DDD.

It was never stated but kinda assumed that the surviving Howling Commandos had some access to the Infinity Formula. This was before the Original Sin retcon :

About Dum-Dum actually dying in the mid-late 60s and having been an LMD since then,

which becomes irrelevant anyways since (Secret Warriors spoiler)

The other remaining Howling Commandos had died by then anyways. Koenig and Gabe are killed by Gorgon. Rebel was killed in Secret Avengers.