DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Normally I'd agree, but Uncanny #600 has supposedly been in the can since May/June according to Bendis, but it's been delayed till November all the whole having nothing to do with SW. Hell, EXM is the only post-SW book that seems to be delayed while everything else for October is coming out on schedule.

Speaking of X-Men, is there any particular reason Uncanny X-Men #'s 340-365 have mostly never been reprinted in tpb collections?  I'm kinda in the mood to reread the short Steven Seagle run (350-365), but it's never been collected.  360-365 was just collected in the "Hunt for Prof. Xavier" tpb released this summer (along with some other material), but the bulk of the run has never collexted and reprinted.  Looking at Wikipedia and a couple other lists of X-Men tpb's, it looks like virtually every issue of Uncanny has been reprinted in a collection at least once except for most of the issues from 338-365.  338-349 was the last year of Lobdell/Joe Mad, iirc.

It's kinda odd, so I'm wondering if there's some backstory.  I expect a collection would have sold well, so that's probably not the reason.  I'm surprised the Seagle run has never been collected since Chris Bachalo penciled most of the issues and he went on to have several more noteworthy stints on X-titles.

Just to recap: Married Peter Parker is not relatable.

Rich industrialist super hero playboy Peter Parker is.

All snarking aside, I think it's more a case of Alonso telling Slott "As soon as the next movie comes out, the old status quo is coming back HARD.  Daily Bugle, J. Jonah as publisher and Robby as editor, Peter living paycheck to paycheck.  Until then, you can go hogwild, get it all out of your system.  Just don't fuck things up too much."

I just feel sorry for whoever has to succeed Slott as writer, becuase they're going to have to waste four or five issues doing a "Fall of Peter Parker" arc where Parker Industires goes bankrupt, Anna Maria Marconi gets written out, Peter has to make amends with all the long-time supporting cast he was a jerk towards (again).

It IS nice to have someone other than Humberto Ramos as the primary artist, at least for a little while.

On one hand that's an all star team. On the other, the Edmondson/Noto team delivered maybe my favourite take on the character to date. Regardless, it's a good time to be a Nat fan.

Outta likes or I'd give you one. Read these and typed my reviews up in my word document for comic book reviews not long ago. Better time than any to post them:

Black Widow (Vol. 1): The Finely Woven Thread collects Black Widow (2014) #1-6 and material from All-New Marvel Now Point One #1. In the first three issues, Black Widow does jobs on her own time for penance with her past. I liked how in each, the jobs take a twist. Issue #4-5, Natasha Romanov is needed by S.H.I.E.L.D. as someone in the Ukrainian embassy has been targeted. This pits Natasha against Molot Boga, a religious Monk around the world. The story also shows people afraid of Chaos and is the best story of the volume. The material from All-New Marvel Now Point One #1 is a short eight page story as Black Widow is captured. The story acts as a fine sampler of the series. I’d have put it at the beginning of the book like Marvel usually does with their collections including “material from”

I enjoyed this shadow warfare title picking it up for Scarlet Johansson’s performance of the character in the MCU. Like a lot of the MCU, its raised the characters public profiles. The art took a little getting used to. Not sure how to describe it, pastel/watercolour? Also there were a few characters I’ve never known as I’m not familiar with Black Widow’s world.

Black Widow (Vol. 2): The Tightly Tangled Web collects Black Widow (2014) #7-9, Punisher (2014) #9 and Black Widow #10-12 in this order. Natasha in her own time takes jobs to try and make up for her past. This happens in #7 as Natasha gets an encrypted phone, Daredevil appears and #8 where the Winter Soldier appears. #8 is the best issue of the volume, good seeing Bucky and Nat together having read previous stories with their relationship. #9 takes Natasha to the location of the call running into Crossbones and the Punisher. The Punisher #9 mostly tells the story from their perspectives. The “they/Chaos” thread from the previous volume is picked up here in #10-11. #10-11, a past comes back into the present for Natasha as an individual who once she saved has kidnapped her associate, Isaiah. Natasha works with X-23 to free him. First I’ve come across X-23. #12 is the second best issue. As Natasha rescues a hostage unbeknownst to her, there’s an expose on TV about her actions and reactions to it. I liked this book, maybe the first a little more.

I'm not sure that's true. They've had no problem having Falcon-Cap and Jane Fostr Thor, etc. etc. when Avengers 2 came out.

Team-up movie. I'm sure Steve and Blake will be back in their proper costumes by the time Civil War and Ragnarok come out.

67- ALL NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA*

02/14 Capt AmericaV7 #16.Now – 36,534 ( 9.3%)

09/14 Captain America v7 #24 – 33,517 ( 8.4%)

10/14 Captain America v7 #25 – 74,183 ( 121.3%)

11/14 Captain America v8 #1 –120,500 ( 62.4%)

12/14 Captain America v8 #2 – 50,077 ( -58.4%)

01/15 Captain America v8 #3 - 50,045 ( -0.1%)

02/15 Captain America v8 #4 - 41,222 (-17.6%)

03/15 Captain America v8 #5 - 38,871 (- 5.7%)

04/15 Captain America v8 #6 - 38,199 (- 1.7%)

38,199, OUCH!  Wonder, if not for Secret Wars, if they would have pulled the plug already on Falcon-Cap.

I'm sure Steve and Blake will be back in their proper costumes by the time Civil War and Ragnarok come out.

Has Donald Blake been involved in the Thor mythos lately? I hadn't thought so. Also, I will bet you any amount of money that Sam will still be Cap when Civil War comes out. Only five solicits away.

38,199, OUCH!  Wonder, if not for Secret Wars, if they would have pulled the plug already on Falcon-Cap

Remender's first #8 was only 5,000 higher than that. Went another 17 issues.

I'm not sure that's true. They've had no problem having Falcon-Cap and Jane Fostr Thor, etc. etc. when Avengers 2 came out.

Team-up movie. I'm sure Steve and Blake will be back in their proper costumes by the time Civil War and Ragnarok come out.

Previously, I'd have agreed with you. But Marvel seems to be making an effort to be sticking with their "status quo changers" for longer periods of time now. Like how no one think Carol Danvers is gonna go back to Ms.Marvel (probably ever). If Thor Odinson or Steve Rogers were dead, then yeah, I'd say 100% they'll be back to life before the movies. But they're not. They're still around, still kicking ass, still able to have stories told about them to release at the same time as the movies, they've just changed.

I've always been up to date on the main Secret Wars book, but I'm currently catching up on all the side stories now. This entire event is just a lot of fun. It has weak parts, sure, but overall, I really, really like the whole thing. And I'm really looking forward to part 6 this week.

• Like 1

Unless I'm missing something, isn't the new Cap book still slightly outselling it's predecessor?

Yes, the "Steve gets trapped in a parallel universe, grows a Grizzly Adams beard, raises a foster son who gets killed, sees Sharon Carter get stuffed in a fridge for cheap 'emotional drama,' and then becomes a supporting character in his own book as we focus on Arnim Zola's daughter" story arc that pretty much everyone hated and no one bought.

You could have run a reprint of the awful 1950's "Cap fights Commies" stories in its place and it probably would have sold better than that piece of crap did.

Actually, I wish someone would get a hold of the sales figures from 1992-1996 and give them to the Comics Beat guys to do a correlation and analysis.  I'd love to see how legendarily "bad" stories like Cap-Wolf, Fighting Chance, the Avengers stories focusing on the Black Knight-Sersi-Crystal love triangle, the Fantastic Four stories from Tom DeFalco where Sue wore a stripper outfit, etc. sold in comparison to today's stories.

I'd wager anything that Cap-Wolf sold in the six figures, and the Chichester Daredevil story where Matt faked his death and ran around in that awful Grey and Red costume probably sold ten times what Mark Waid's run did.

Probably true, but the comics market was a completely different beast when The Wall Street Journal was calling comics a better investment than the stock market.

Also, although it definitely still wouldn't make up the whole gap, or even come close, digital sales numbers remain by and large a mystery. Who knows how many people are reading Sam-Cap on their iPad?

Unless I'm missing something, isn't the new Cap book still slightly outselling it's predecessor?

Yes, the "Steve gets trapped in a parallel universe, grows a Grizzly Adams beard, raises a foster son who gets killed, sees Sharon Carter get stuffed in a fridge for cheap 'emotional drama,' and then becomes a supporting character in his own book as we focus on Arnim Zola's daughter" story arc that pretty much everyone hated and no one bought.

I loved it.

Also, guess we got our answer about who will be Cap next summer.

Finished the Kelly, Priest, & Simone runs on Deadpool. Kelly's run was great and easily the best. Priest's run was fun, but it didn't really advance Wade at all. It sort of felt like he had was a bit afraid to be following up Kelly so he didn't really try to at all and went more comedy. Skipped Palmiotti & Tieri so I'm not quite sure what led to Gail's run. Honestly, its sort of hard to consider what Gail did a real run seeing as how Agent X was in reality a new character so she really did only have the one arc which was fun but nothing special. I enjoyed Agent X though I thought it got a little off track on the issues Gail didn't write. Next up is the final volume of the Duggan/Posehn run.